New years challenge :)

Options
What should we do in Jan, we have to reach new levels of awesome.

I will be taking the derbalife challenge, but jut the exercise portion for improving endurance and losing inches and weight. it is for ten weeks, I hope to get lose about 20 pounds :)

Replies

• 2012Kristin
    2012Kristin Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for Row-Lates classes ~ they are at 5:30 AM 2x a week. {1/2 Rowing, 1/2 Pilates}

Usually I only take the free classes b/c well... they're free. But this one I paid for so hopefully that means I can commit since I hate throwing money away. They start in January!

Can anyone suggest a number if I want to be trying a low carb diet too? Not sure what I should stay under. MFP has my daily goal at 165 right now, but when I googled it I found a typical low carb diet would be like 20-30 g.
  • Labcoathipster
    Options
    Alright, I'm going to go low glycemic for the month of January.

Only complex carbs...sprouted grain breads and oatmeal type things.

No fruits, to cut down on my sugar intake.

Lots and LOTS of veggies.

And drink more than my allotted water for the day.

I'm going to need a lot of support through this cause I have a feeling a week in I'm going to be one cranky gus without my fruit!
  • 2012Kristin
    Options
    @BellaBones - What's the Derbalife Challenge?
  • BellaBones
    Options
    The derbalife challenge is to lose inches and pounds within your derby league, it is geared to the derby lifesytle and increasing your endurance. As a League we are doing it, we take before and after pictures, it is 10 weeks. There are supplements and shakes you can take if you are looking to change your diet as well. There are about 20 of us doing this. It is geared toward your own goals though, there is a coach, but it seems like the motivation is up to you and your group of people. You also get a derbywife or husband as a partner to encourage and help you reach all your goals. I will be watching my foods and giving up chocolate and red meat for the challenge. I want to lose 25 pounds in this ten weeks and go from 27 laps in 5 minutes to 29 laps in 5 minutes :)
  • BellaBones
    Options
    labcoat, awesome... however eat a piece of fruit once in awhile, it is those refined sugars that get you. Fruit is wonderful... eat a banana or an apple once a week. I am sure you will feel better and you body will love you!!!

Hoxie, I know from peeps who did the Atkins diet (which I dislike, but to each their own) it is around 20... but if you are sedentary I think this works, if you are an active person, you need carbs in your life :) So do not be afraid of them. Watch the refined sugars though... that is where most bad carbs come from. Complex carbs and natural unprocessed sugars are fine, however we still probably want to be a little moderate with them. I am not a dietitian either, I just go by what I know... and what I have seen work for myself and others. :)
  • 2012Kristin
    Options
    I know ~ at work I'm sedentary, but fairly active outside of that. Plus, I was reading about weight loss for petite people and it completely changes up what I should be eating. May have to rethink my January choices....