Breakfast is the most important meal of the day

Options
I'm looking for some quick and easy, non boring breakfast ideas. Getting tired of oatmeal and scrambled eggs. Any ideas?
13513889.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Here's a great breakfast I love:

Creamy Caramel Pear with Granola

1 small pear (approx 1/3 pound)
    1 Tbsp Caramel syrup - sugar free and fat free
    1/4 cup light Ricotta cheese
    1/4 cup granola

Peal and cut pear into bite-sized chunks. Place in 8 oz bowl and spray with butter flavored Pam. Cover and microwave 2 minutes. Allow to stand in micro 2-5 more minutes. Top with caramel, ricotta, and granola. Cover and microwave 1 more minute. Stir and enjoy. With the products I use it's about 300 calories, 6 gms fat, 15 cholesterol, 101 sodium, 36 carbs with 5 fiber, and 7 protein.
  • mejenniferd
    mejenniferd Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    On work days I toast a whole wheat english muffin, spread a little peanut butter on it, and eat it.

It's not fancy, but it's quick, and fairly cheap, and pretty tasty.
  • mejenniferd
    mejenniferd Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast, though...Over-easy egg with spinach, tomato, and canadian bacon.

Take one non stick pan - in one "corner" crack an egg to start cooking, in the rest of the 3/4 of the pan put a small pile of fresh spinach leaves, one slice of canadian bacon, and a thick slice of tomato. Flip them all over at the appropriate times, (the tomato and ham just get hot, the spinach wilts a little bit - not too much though) sprinkle with salt and pepper, then stack on a plate - canadian bacon on the bottom, then tomato, spinach, and egg on top. The egg yolk runs into everything when you break it and makes it almost saucy. But it's delicious when you get a bite of all of that together. Yum!
  • sickerhausen
    sickerhausen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thank you fast and healthy
  • FitnessBarbie99
    FitnessBarbie99 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness that does sound good.

I make a breakfast sandwich every weekday/workday to eat on the commute. I am always looking for something new.
  • natasha00100
    natasha00100 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've just started to use egg whites (2 Chicks). I make a sweet or savory pancake - today was a sweet one for breakfast. Thin slices of nectarine sprinkled with cinnamon and sauteed in a non -stick pan with a drop of oil. Whisk the equivalent of 3 egg whites with splenda to taste, seed trail, shredded coconut. Drizzle on the cooked nectarine, flip over when the the bottom is nicely browned. A spoonful of yogurt on top makes a nice addition. Yummmmm....
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    Smoothies rule!
  • CaveGal
    CaveGal Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I like to eat low fat cottage cheese or quark cheese with some blueberries or strawberries. At weekends when I go to to the gym in the morning I'll add a scoop of protein powder to cottage or quark cheese... perfect breakfast:) if you add chocolate protein powder it tastes like chocolate mousse and if you add vanilla it takes like cheesecake filling;-) Hope this helps! It's very easy and simple!
  • just4me119
    just4me119 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My new favorite is grapefruit drizzled with honey and a tablespoon of granola in the center.
  • kmsteere
    Options
    I just had a Salsa omlette this morning. it was so delicious here is what was in it.

1/2 cup liquid egg whites
    1/2 piece of american cheese (optional)
    1-2 oz of turkey
    2 Tbsp of chunky medium salsa

I cooked the egg whites first then when they were done just put the rest on top of it. It was something new and i really liked it and it was only 158 calories for all of that.
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to try this one....trying to get in the habit of eating more cottage cheese....:grumble:

I like to eat low fat cottage cheese or quark cheese with some blueberries or strawberries. At weekends when I go to to the gym in the morning I'll add a scoop of protein powder to cottage or quark cheese... perfect breakfast:) if you add chocolate protein powder it tastes like chocolate mousse and if you add vanilla it takes like cheesecake filling;-) Hope this helps! It's very easy and simple!
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    sounds delicious!! will def. try this!!
    My new favorite is grapefruit drizzled with honey and a tablespoon of granola in the center.
  • Birdsong
    Options
    Over the weekend I made Egg Boats. i used a whole wheat baguette, hollowed out most of the center, filled with eggbeaters, laughing cow cheese, diced tureky bacon and fresh veggies. Baked for about 20 minutes at 400. They were awesome! The total process took about 30 minutes, but you could easily make them ahead and refrigerate, then warm when needed. :)
  • Birdsong
    Options
    One other one that's really good is to take bagel thins such as cinnamon raisin and make french toast using eggbeaters mixed with a little extra cinnamon and some vanilla :)
  • KellyAnneH
    KellyAnneH Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    We grind our own wheat, which makes everything better. :-)

On the weekend I make a big batch of whole wheat waffles with added flax. On weekdays it's really quick to toast a waffle and top it with yogurt. Yumm!
  • nathaliasmommy
    nathaliasmommy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This is whati eat for a breakfast sandwich
    Dempsters Candian Grains (or similar bread) Toasted no butter
    Fat Free cheese slice
    egg cooked thru--
    ketchup
  • dmf711
    dmf711 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Something I am LOVING right now: Apple Cinnamon Rice Cake Sandwiches! I take two store-brand apple cinnamon rice cakes and slather 1 tablespoon of Skippy Peanut Butter between them. Only 195 calories! I am so glad I found this recipe and it's working great for me :)
  • swampy6442
    Options
    This is what I make every Sunday to last me the week - I cycle to an from work every day (a 12 mile round trip) and walk it on Wednesdays and have found two of these bars, at work after a shower have set me up for the day when combined with a small light lunch. Ok - its homemade so all measurements are in "cups" - an these ingredients are all sposed to help reduce cholesterol apart from a couple! Lowering cholesterol (rather than my weight) is my main aim BUT on New years Day I weighed in at 92kg - and I now weigh (40 days days later) 84.5!!!!!!

Equal amounts of:
    Porridge oats
    Mixed grain oats
    Ground flaxseed
    Medium cut oat bran
    Then half a cup of:
    Goji berries
    Raisins (or currants or dried mixed fruit)
    Walnuts (but then chopped but not too fine)
    Dried banana chips (also chopped)
    All of that into a bowl. In a pan I have been melting a cup of margarine, honey and peanut butter and then adding it to the dry mix. Give a good mix an make sure all the dry is now wet (mine always look like u need to add more liquid but usually turn out ok)
    Line a baking tray with grease proof, pour in the mix, spread even and press it down, I bake at 150 deg C for 20 mins. Take out, let cool and cut into 12 pieces. I have 2 every weekday morning and 1 on Sat/Sun. The batch usually means each piece is about 400 calories - but everything in there is really good for you!!!
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I know the OP was looking for non oatmeal recipes, but I was posting this elsewhere, and thought someone might enjoy it.

Baked Oatmeal - This is AMAZING! I was not an oatmeal person prior to this, now I make a regular oatmeal version based on this and eat if for dessert. In my regular version I sub craisins for the blueberries.
    http://www.inspiredtaste.net/9928/baked-oatmeal-with-strawberries-banana-and-chocolate-recipe/

Changes to original: subbed egg substitute for egg, unsweetened applesauce for ALL of the butter, added 2 bananas (to the oat mixture), 1/4 tbsp brown sugar total, 1/4 tsp of Chinese 5 spice, healthy sprinkle of cinnamon & nutmeg (or pumpkin/apple pie spice whatever you have on hand), 3/4 c blueberries on top instead of strawberries (strawberries got a little bitter the first time I made this), reduced chocolate chips (not much ;) and added them all to the mix, subbed 3/4 tsp orange extract for the orange zest, and added a couple of packets of sugar substitute to the wet ingredients

What I would change next time: I am going to make in muffin tins, and try freezing, other than that - not a thing!

8 servings
    Calories 210
    Fat 4
    Carbs 40
    Sodium 242
    Sat fat 2
    Fiber 4
  • sparkly96
    sparkly96 Posts: 120
    Options
    My favorite weekend breakfast (i'm not usually a breakfast eater but get up late on the weekends and im hungry) is a fake mc muffin. I toast 1 thomas' 100 calorie english muffin cook an 1/4 cup egg beaters and warm up a slice of canadian bacon in the same pan. I then add that to the english muffin and add a slice of american or sharp 2 % cheese slice to it, yummy.