Feeding chickens...

Options
This is kind of a weird question, I guess, but here goes...

I know it's important to select grass-fed, organic meat products. I always look for grass-fed beef (been buying some from a local ranch) and wild-caught fish. But when I look for chicken, all I see is "vegetarian-fed." What does that mean? It could mean corn... and we all know that corn/grains do the same thing to animals as they do to us.

So my question is, how do you know what they're feeding them? The ranch I buy beef from offers chicken, but it's SUPER expensive and I really can't afford it. Any thoughts? I buy chicken reguarly and am wondering how to fit it in as I'm trying to transition into more of a paleo lifestyle. Thanks!

Replies

• monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    You're right.

'Vegetarian-fed' means nothing other than they are not being fed bone meal or other animal products like oyster shell for calcium. In the case of 'omega 3' eggs, they add flax seed to the mix. In a primal/paleo environment, they are not much different than normal factory eggs.

You need to find 'free range' eggs, where that actually means 'free roaming'. Free range is another vague legal term that can mean only that there is a pen outside of their coop that they can move around in - if it is picked bare of bugs and vegetation, it's useless.

True free-range chicken IS expensive - but that's the true cost of food, rather than cutting costs by cutting corners. If you can get your eggs from the ranch, you can be assured of appropriate omega 3 and other nutrients. Buy your chickens from them whole and make use of the whole carcass - roast them for dinner, then use the remainder to make soup.