Nutrition!!

Options
getsveltEagain
getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
Here is where the discussion can cover any food concerns or ideas. Please share what you find works for you!
Female Diet for Phase 1!
~Eat first meal within an hour of waking.
~Plan ahead! Designate a food preparation day.
~Measure and weigh everything whenever possible. Purchase measuring cups and a kitchen scale.
~EAT EVERY THREE HOURS (usually 5 or 6 times a day, depending on when you wake up)! It’s the secret to speeding up your metabolism. Be on time!
~Drink lots of water! May have coffee & tea with Stevia or a no-cal sweetner.
~Take a daily multivitamin. If lifting weights, you might consider taking an additional calcium supplement.
~Take one tablespoon of Flaxseed or Fish Oil daily. Flaxseed and fish oil actually aid in weight loss and encourages healthy bowel movements. (Mix in oatmeal or mashed sweet potato after heating food. Do not heat flaxseed.)
~CONSISTENCY IS KEY! If you have a day where you slip up…DON’T GIVE UP! Start fresh at your next meal or the next day. YOU CAN DO IT!

Breakfast - 5 egg whites
Unlimited vegetables (see list)
1 serving of starch (see starch list)

Mid-morning- 2 turkey or chicken muffins (see recipe), OR homemade protein bars (4 squares) OR Small meal option (see list)

Lunch- 6 ounces of lean meat (chicken breast, white meat turkey; white
fish like tilapia and orange roughy, boiled shrimp, egg whites)
Unlimited salad and vegetables (see list)

Mid-afternoon- 2 turkey or chicken muffins (see recipe), OR homemade protein bars (4 squares) OR Small meal option (see list)

Dinner- 6 ounces of lean meat (see above)
Unlimited salad and vegetables (see list)

Evening- 5-6 egg whites**

** No carbs (starch) after 7:00 PM (or about 3 hours before bedtime).
Limit fruit to twice daily: berries first thing in the morning and then a half a citrus serving or banana after a workout with your protein shake. Carry a small apple in your gym bag at all times in case an energy slump hits!

~~~~I put the female food guide since that is the majority of our members. Please see the male guide and recipes at http://www.bodybuilding.com/livefit~~~~

Replies

• getsveltEagain
    Options
    I am going to try to make the protien bars and turkey muffins this weekend. I also will start eating every couple hours tomorrow to get my body ready for the nutrition side of this program :wink:
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Is it necessary for us to follow the food exactly? I was thinking about just upping my protein and cutting back my carbs.
    Thoughts?
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Is it necessary for us to follow the food exactly? I was thinking about just upping my protein and cutting back my carbs.
    Thoughts?

Like any program I think you don't have to necessarily follow it exactly. But I do know that this probgram is focused on "clean eating" which is limiting the processed foods. The saying I keep hearing around is that abs are made in the kitchen.

I looked over jamie's facebook site and most of the sucess stories say they followed the eating plan too. I hope that I am not coming across as a know it all.... just repling with my thoughts :bigsmile:
  • Bheller234
    Options
    I am very excited about this. I might not be able to follow the food completely but still going to stay with "clean" food nothing processed and stay close to what the calories would add up to for each meal. Going to start getting this around and start preparing these meals so i know how to do and make them! :)
  • scgma
    scgma Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    :blushing:
    am I missing the "list" in the see list part????
    :)
    Sonya
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    I am very excited about this. I might not be able to follow the food completely but still going to stay with "clean" food nothing processed and stay close to what the calories would add up to for each meal. Going to start getting this around and start preparing these meals so i know how to do and make them! :)

I am making some apple protien bars and the turkey muffins this weekend... then going to buy some veggies and the "cleanest" egg whites I can find. I bought some Ezekiel (sp) bread and will be making fresh salsa so I can have that for breakfast!!! :love:
    :blushing:
    am I missing the "list" in the see list part????
    Sonya

That is a link on the bodybuilding.com/livefit page....go to phase one and select any day. Scroll down to the food part and you can see "the List". It actually is very helpful :bigsmile: I printed off a couple pages to help me put (I am old school and want the paper copy)
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    I am not sure if everyone can find this recipe, I went around Jamie's bodybuilding.com links before finding it:

Low-Carb Apple Cinnamon Protein Bars

Ingredients
    4 scoops vanilla whey protein powder
    .5 cup almond meal/flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    .24 tsp salt
    2 tsp cinnamon
    .25 tsp nutmeg
    .25 tsp allspice
    3 egg whites
    .25 cup stevia (raw) or Xylitol (increase carb count by 1g)
    .5 cup fat free cottage cheese
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 medium apple - gated (large holes)

Directions
    Spray an 8x8 inch pyrex dish with non stick spray. Preheat pven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine protein powder, almond meal, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Whisk together and set aside.

In a smaller bowl, combine egg whites, no-cal sweetener, cottage cheese and vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated and then add the wet ingredients to the dry and mis again.

Fold in grated apple and mix until combined.

Pour batter into the prepared dish and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes

Nutritional info:
    Makes 16 squares
    1 square = 64 calories, 2.4 g fat, 4 g card, 8 g protein
  • fitniknik
    Options
    Easy Protein bars

2 scoops protein powder
    1 cup oats
    4 egg whites
    1/2c applesauce unsweetened
    1/4 tsp vanilla
    1 tblsp peanutbutter
    Mix eggs and oatmeal then everything else in
    bake at 350 for 20 min
    makes9- 83 cals each
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Easy Protein bars

2 scoops protein powder
    1 cup oats
    4 egg whites
    1/2c applesauce unsweetened
    1/4 tsp vanilla
    1 tblsp peanutbutter
    Mix eggs and oatmeal then everything else in
    bake at 350 for 20 min
    makes9- 83 cals each

Thanks for the recipe... made them tonight and they are pretty good. I was thinking of adding another tablespoon of pb and maybe adding more vanilla.

I also made the apple cinnamon bars and I'm not sure about those. Still decent since I didn't spit it out lol

Tomorrow I am making the turkey meat muffins.... here's to hoping!
  • fitniknik
    Options
    Ohhh good to know! I was going to make them today or to tomorrow (both things).
  • fitniknik
    Options
    Allright... so the hunt for a good protien bar recipe goes on. Mine turned out like a TOTAL DISASTER! But they are eddible. I bought lean pork chops, cod, chicken, and top round today. Packaged it into 4-6oz packages (dinner and lunch for the next day) and got a TON of frozen veggies. :) Im ready!
  • scgma
    Options
    Sooo whats for breakfast...I think I am doing a small egg white omelet/ fattata type dish...
    On the list( LOL) we have veggies. egg whites and a starch...hmmmm
    Sonya
  • fitniknik
    Options
    Ok... I dont really like eggs but I will make myself do it... at some point. I had protein shake, quinoa, and mixed veggies for breakfast.
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    I didn't follow the eating plan today... With my race this morning I was a bit off.

I ate a nature valley pb granola bar for breakfast. Lunch was the post race "feast" of a pulled pork sandwich from city barbque and a banana. Dinner was a 5 piece nugget from wendy's, an once or two of skirt steak and pasta. I had a couple of wheat crackers with a piece of cheddar/colby cheese. I also had three surger cookies. But I did NOT have any pop :bigsmile:

I made the turkey meatloaf muffins and they smell DELISH!!! I haven't had one yet but I will be before bed. I also made salsa to mix in my egg whites tomorrow for breakfast :wink:
  • scgma
    Options
    Did you do 5 egg whites???? I only did 3...and it was a huge deal...5 just seems like alot with my veggies!!!
    Sonya
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Did you do 5 egg whites???? I only did 3...and it was a huge deal...5 just seems like alot with my veggies!!!
    Sonya

I actually had three egg whites with some mushrooms in them... I stayed the night at my boyfriends due to weather and had to get breakfast at work :grumble:

I plan on getting my salsa and meatloaf muffins packed for the rest of the week at work.... I got to get on eating "clean"!!!
  • rdpixie
    rdpixie Posts: 96
    Options
    The turkey muffins are sooooo good! I'm addicted! I made some lime salsa to go with them too and its heaven!

Gonna try and make some protein bars at the weekend :)
  • fitniknik
    Options
    I found this in phase 3 today :)

Chocolate Protein Bars

Calories: 96
    Fat: 1.4 grams
    Carbs: 12 grams
    Protein: 10 grams

Click To Enlarge.
    Chocolate Protein Bars.
    Ingredients:
    1 cup Oat Flour
    4 Egg Whites
    2 scoops Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
    ½ cup Splenda, Truvia, or Ideal
    ½ tsp Baking Soda
    ¼ tsp Salt
    8oz Berry flavored Baby Food
    3 tbsp Baking Cocoa
    4oz Water
    Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Mix dry ingredients (oat flower, vanilla whey protein, baking soda, salt, baking cocoa) together in a large bowl.
    Mix wet ingredients (egg whites, Splenda, Berry flavored Baby Food,Water) together in a medium sized bowl.
    Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix together.
    Spray cooking dish with a non stick butter spray and add batter to dish.
    Bake 20-30 minutes in oven.
    Makes 16 squares, serving size=2 bars.
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Here is a fantastic website with some "clean" recipies!!!

I just browsed through them and didn't look to deep, but see what you think. After you make something share your thougths with the group

http://www.oxygenmag.com/Nutrition/Articles.aspx?category=Clean-Recipes
  • fitniknik
    Options
    Cinnamon Swirl Protein Bread
    Nutrition Facts:

Makes 16 squares
    1 square = 55 calories, 1 g fat, 8 g carbs, 5 g protein

Ingredients:

1/3 cup Ideal (Xylitol)
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1 1/2 cups oat flour + 2 scoops vanilla whey protein
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 cup Ideal (Xylitol) or ¼ cup Stevia in the Raw
    2 egg whites
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk (Almond Breeze)
    1/3 cup or 1 4oz jar of baby food applesauce and ¼ cup low sugar vanilla yogurt (optional)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 8 X 8 inch Pyrex dish with non-stick spray.

In small bowl combine: (set aside)
    1/3 cup Ideal (Xylitol)
    2 tsp cinnamon

In a large bowl combine: (whisk together)
    1 1/2 cups oat flour + 2 scoops vanilla whey protein
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 cup Ideal (Xylitol) or ¼ cup Stevia in the Raw

In a medium bowl combine: (whisk together & add to lrg bowl)
    2 egg whites
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk (Almond Breeze)
    1/3 cup or 1 4oz jar of baby food applesauce and ¼ cup low sugar vanilla yogurt (optional)

Pour a shallow layer of batter into the loaf pan (about 1/4 of the batter).

Sprinkle heavily with half of the cinnamon/sugar mixture. Repeat with remaining batter & cinnamon/sugar on top.

Draw a knife through the batter to marble. Bake for 24 to 28 min. Let cool for 10 min. Bread will be dense.