Would like to meet some friends with Thyroid issues here!

Options
ElisetheQ
ElisetheQ Posts: 58 Member
Hi all! :)

First off, thanks for reading my post.
It's great to know there are other people here facing the same difficulties I am!

So, to start off ... I have Lupus and arthritis. A few years after I was diagnosed with those, I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. Went on some medication, but it never really controlled it. I was miserable for years!

This summer I finally decided to do the radioactive iodine to nuke my thyroid and go to hypothyroidism. So now I'm hypo.

I've gained about 20lbs since nuking my thyroid - and that's WITH me maintaining a 1700 calorie diet and working out 5 days a week. (BUMMER!!)

Since the cold weather's made an appearance here (aaaaand the holidays!), my arthritis has flared and my workouts have decreased to about 2x/weekly.

Today I had an appointment with my endocrynologist, and he's upping my synthroid dosage, since I'm still hypothyroid. Today, when weighed, I saw that my weight is the highest it's ever been.
I'm not really struggling with depression of gaining weight, since I know it's not (all) my fault, but it's so disheartening to work so hard, only to gain weight instead of lose it.

Do any of you all have the same problem? What are you doing to manage your weight?

I don't know anyone struggling with thyroid issues, so no one understands. The fatigue, the feeling of blahness, the hair loss, the emotional drain .... add weight gain to that mix and you've got one unhappy party! ;)

Anyway, I'm glad there's a group for folks with thyroid issues ... I know I could certainly use some encouragement and motivation. :

Replies

• Shybea81
    Shybea81 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    So I posted a reply but apparently my computer didn't like it, since it disappeared. So if it mysteriously comes back I apologize for double posting.
    My name is Sherry. I haven't been hypo for very long (I found out earlier this year after working out 6 days a week and eating right only to keep gaining weight) but my Ma, sister, aunt, and cousin are all minus a thyroid and manage to not be obese so I know it's possible to maintain your weight.
    It's a matter of finding what works for you and being on the right dose of medication.
    I would love to have you as a friend if you would like to friend me. I could use someone to help keep me accountable since my love of food causes me to slip a lot.
    I can also agree with you on the cold weather. Though yours I'm sure is worse than mine, my knees and ankle hate the cold.
  • fit4future
    fit4future Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi whangdoodleks & Sherry!

I've been hypo now (diagnosed and treated anyway) for about 4 years.

Knew there was something wrong after i was riding 14k every morning, barely eating, depressed, hair falling out and not losing any weight.

I try to walk / jog / run every morning, dance on wed and sat and mix it up with swimming (about 1.5 ~2 km). Other than that its watching my diet and my aim for this new year is to focus on eating natural unprocessed foods as much as possible.

Would love for you both to add me as a friend - i hav been SLOWLY losing but like you Sherry - would be great to have people to help you be a bit more accountable for your food choices.

Chat soon :)
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I'm here! I was diagnosed about three or four years ago as hypo. I went in to have my blood sugar checked after my coworkers told me to get checked out. I had been complaining if I didn't get my lunch break on time. I threatened to cannibalize people when I got hungry. I'm very mean when I'm hungry. I would get dizzy, and tired all the time.

Turns out my blood sugar was just fine, but the thyroid was sluggish. It seemed to get worse before it got better.

My hair also got a nice steel wool texture and lots of it fell out. My skin got dry, and my body got soft.

I am doing better lately. On my really good days, I work out just because I can. I am no longer imprisoned by my couch and my bed.
  • christinajohnson
    christinajohnson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I can relate to the difficulty of losing the weight and working out not paying off. I was an avid long distance runner before my hypothyroidism and could eat whatever I wanted to (literally). I no longer have the ability to run 50 to 60 miles a week or to race, nor am I used to having to sit down and figure out how to eat. I always took pride in my body's strength and even though it's not my fault, I am embarrassed with how I look. In two years I have gone from a well-muscled size 5 to a kind-of-toned-maybe size 12. I have no one that relates to my struggles and people I love dearly have said that it's all in my head. I have stopped talking about it and have no one to talk to about it.
  • fit4future
    fit4future Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I can relate to the difficulty of losing the weight and working out not paying off. I was an avid long distance runner before my hypothyroidism and could eat whatever I wanted to (literally). I no longer have the ability to run 50 to 60 miles a week or to race, nor am I used to having to sit down and figure out how to eat. I always took pride in my body's strength and even though it's not my fault, I am embarrassed with how I look. In two years I have gone from a well-muscled size 5 to a kind-of-toned-maybe size 12. I have no one that relates to my struggles and people I love dearly have said that it's all in my head. I have stopped talking about it and have no one to talk to about it.

Hi Christina!

I know how disheartening it can be doing all that exercise with no results - but keep at it!
    Even if your body shape / size doesn't reflect the work out - your internal health and longevity will :)

Try to mix it up with different exercise - I find becuase I am a strong swimmer I can pump out a few k's no problem, so I mix it up with walking, running, dancing and weights - keeps your body guessing.

Results will happen - just alot more slowly than your used to - try to keep your health not your size as your main focus and you'll feel better for it :happy:
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I found out today that I have Hashimoto - I have had hypothyroidism since 1997 and been on a million different doses of Synthroid. I had some blood work done at my fitness center because they thought I might have cortisol issues -- because I eat low calorie (under 1400 per day) and I work out 6 days a week - but have great difficulty losing weight.

When the blood work came back today, it indicated a high level of Thyroid Peroxiase - which is the antibody produced by Hashi. I was floored - did some reading and found out that even though my T4 has been under control with Synthroid, that the antibodies are attacking my thyroid and eventually will kill it!!

So, I now have to figure out what to do. Glad to see there's a forum here for people with Thyroid. There's also one on Facebook called "Stop the Thyroid Madness".
  • ElisetheQ
    ElisetheQ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the replies!
    I thought I'd get notifications or something if someone commented, well, I was wrong! Just saw all these :)

I'm so happy to have met some people on MFP that also have thyroid issues - as supportive as my family and husband are, they don't *really* understand what it's like. When your thyroid is out of whack, ain't nothin in your body happy!

I've really enjoyed reading your posts and as awful as thyroid problems are, it's wonderful to know I"m not alone in this journey.

Thanks for that. :)<3
  • dukeS1ms
    dukeS1ms Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for mentioning the "Stop the Thryroid Madness" page. Tons of interesting information.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I just purchased the Stop The Madness book -- tons of information on their main site: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/
    The amount of information is somewhat overwhelming - many of those suffering with horrendous hypothyroid symptoms have taken to self-medicating. The reason being that doctors just look at TSH and T4 levels - and if that's good, they say "see you in 6 months". They are assuming that your diseased thyroid is naturally doing the T4 to T3 conversion -- and they don't test for T3 at all. They also don't test for many adrenals and other minerals that frequently suffer when your thyroid is malfunctioning.

So, just because you are fatigued, gaining weight, dry hair, dry skin, muscle aches, and a variety of other symptoms, if your TSH levels are good, you must be good.

I've found a Naturopath in my area that I know will be pricey, but will listen to my symptoms not just my TSH labs. I'm tired of feeling this way and Synthroid is not the answer for me.
  • efarrar13
    Options
    I was diagnosed this summer with hypothyroid. Training for a marathon, logging food and wasn't losing weight. I nearly quit training for the marathon I was so down about not losing any weight. Trying to figure this all out myself. Equally stressed and frustrated as others on here. We will get through this!
  • aprildiamond42
    aprildiamond42 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroid about 4 years ago, after trying and trying to lose weight and gaining it instead. My family just thinks I eat too much. Thanks to MFP and logging my food and exercise, at least I have stopped the gaining. Between June and August, I lost 9 pounds, mostly due to more exercise and eating mostly fruits & veges (cutting out all sugar & breads for the summer).

Since August I have lost one (1) pound, but earlier last year I was gaining one pound per month, so at least I am going in the right direction. It's nice to have support and see that I'm not the only one struggling with few results.

I was going to a naturopath doctor who had me on (1 grain of) Nature-Throid, but when we moved a year ago, we moved to an area with no naturopath doctors, so my new doctor has me on (1 grain of) Armour-Thyroid.

Let us keep supporting each other! And thank you all for your posts!
  • RedKH
    RedKH Posts: 58
    Options
    Hi Everyone

Reading all your posts has made me feel a lot less 'alone' in how i'm feeling.
    My partner and family are very sympathetic to how i'm feeling and help however they can so i'm very lucky but this year it's time to get myself feeling as well as I can.

I'm so bored of feeling tired, falling asleep if I sit still long enough!! Forgetting silly things, trying to eat well and nothing shifting... This year I can't be so half hearted about things, I need to make a change and get off my backside!

I'm 30 this June and would love to be a hell of a lot fitter by then so that's my target for the moment :-)

Before Christmas I did manage to shift a few pounds but it's all gone back on after turning a blind eye to the healthier food for 2 weeks.

I hope you all start feeling a lot better and get closer to your goals in this new year :-D

Good Luck Everyone! :smile:
  • seaglass2
    seaglass2 Posts: 192
    Options
    Good morning,
    Jumping into the conversation here! I also have hasimoto's. It took a long time to get a diagnosis and a while longer to find the right medication that worked for me. I have been taking the lowest dose or armour which works on both t3 and t4 hormone levels with success.

I am 53 and post menopausal and taking off weight has become increasingly difficult.

I do well for 3-4 months eating 1400 calories a day, drinking 8 glasses of water and working out 5-7 times a week for 45 min to an hour and seeing little progress and I just give up.

I think years and years of yo-yo dieting has wreaked havoc with my metabolism combined with the heredity factors, thyroid and menopause this has been an uphill battle.

I am looking for ways to re-boot my metabolism and for support to keep me going past the 4 month mark. There is always something new to be learned by joining forces with others so I look forward to getting to know you here and sharing information that will help us all be healthier in 2012 :)

Donna