Miracle Noodles?????

Replies

• monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Yes. They're shiritaki noodles, made from the konjac root powder (a yam relative). Not much in the way of calories OR carbs. In a soup they're a lot like ramen noodles, maybe a little chewier. As a spaghetti substitute, they're kind of slimy. There is a way to dry them out so they're more spag-like, but I'd have to find it again and post it.
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    I love them! They are actually in the refridgerated section of my Natural Foods Warehouse. I put them in a collander and rinse very well. They have a horrible fishy smelling juice they come packed in. After rinsing I microwave them for about two minutes. They are a little chewey but very filling and the smell totally goes away after rinsing and heating. My favorite way to eat the noodles is with a little Trader Joes Red Curry Thai sauce and sauteed chicken and mushrooms.
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    I just ordered a six pack from Amazon. I'm curious to see how they mesh with my meal styles.
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    My shirataki noodles arrived earlier this week, and I am in love. They are not a perfect replacement for wheat or rice pasta, but they are not bad either. Taken on their own merits, like I would any new type of noodle, they are fantastic. They make a great addition to a stir-fry, and their chewiness makes them especially satisfying. The noodles are filling as all get out.

My only problem is now cost. The cheapest I can find them online is just under two dollars for a ~7 ounce package. I'll pay it if I have to, but if anyone knows of a cheaper price, I'd love to hear about it.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    That's about the going rate, unless you can find them locally and save on shipping.

Just move them into the 'special foods' catagory. The days of having a plate of spaghetti may be over, but 2 bucks to add them to a big pot of soup is not a bad deal.
  • allana3uk
    allana3uk Posts: 28 Member
    I got some for Christmas and so far I've tried them in Pad Thai where they were fantastic. I was really impressed especially after having opened the pouch to that dreadful fishy stink. I'm going to try my local Oriental supermarket and see if I can find them there as they are hideously expensive. But oh-so worth it for a plate of Pad Thai once or twice a year!
This discussion has been closed.