How do you combat muscle soreness?

Options
I've started the 30DS DVD twice before, but never made it past day 2 because my quads were so extremely sore, it was painful! Does anyone have some tips for relieving the soreness and speeding up recovery time? I plan on stretching a lot more and increasing my water intake, but other than that what can I do? Any good supplements?

I'm excited to start the 30DS, for REAL this time! Haha

Replies

• mrshmiller9
    Options
    I do a light or beginer yoga or Pilates routine. It is magic for the soreness and is extra toning.
  • kitsrunner
    kitsrunner Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I found this happened as well....but pushed myself to exercise regardless and within 10 mins my muscles were no longer sore. I think they just needed to warm up and have blood pumpin' through :happy:
  • jaybee25
    jaybee25 Posts: 117
    Options
    same as both above, pilates or yoga after helps alot so does just keep going to combat it or hot baths in epsom salts 2cups per bath to relieve inflammation and soreness :) massaging the muscles and maybe doing a few extra stretches after her cool down.I find she doesnt stretch enough I feel I need more.Hold each stretch for 20 sec :)
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I found this happened as well....but pushed myself to exercise regardless and within 10 mins my muscles were no longer sore. I think they just needed to warm up and have blood pumpin' through :happy:

^^^^^ yep keep pushing the soreness will fade
  • AwesomeSauce4
    AwesomeSauce4 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Just push thru Sweetie.. the soreness fades away around day 4 ;)
    Remember... "No Pain... No Gain... We Got this!!!!!! Need an Extra push.. give me a holla ;)
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Go for a brisk walk later in the day, or even do a couple hills. It'll get that blood moving and help prevent the sore muscles! The water is good, and making sure you are getting lots of protein to help build muscle.

My husband uses a glutamine supplement for muscle repair. He loves it, but I don't think I'd use it until I was into heavy weights?
  • paigebolling
    paigebolling Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I found too that when I get super sore, I will continue to workout but maybe not workout the muscles that are sore as hard. For example, on the 30 day shred level 1, where Jillian squats and punches. If your legs are sore, don't squat as deep and double time punch! The soreness does eventually fade; however, they are sore because your muscles have been worked harder than they are used to. Don't push yourself to the point of injury but you do need to push yourself to an uncomfortable level to get results!! Believe you me, I know I'm going to be sore but I hope I can pull through and complete this challenge with great results, hope it will be a good motivator. :happy:
  • javame
    javame Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I found I was really sore on Day 2 and Day 3 (today for me), but I also found that once I got up and got moving & walking around that I noticed the soreness a little less. Just hang in there!
  • chocciechip
    chocciechip Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    every morning take 1tsp of bicarbonate of soda in a glass of water, it helps neutralise the build up of lactic acid in your muscles ahead of exercise :)
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Have some protein within a half hour of working out it will help with muscle repair.
  • PacificGirl
    Options
    I stretch a ton. I also LOVE Cytomax. If you haven't ever tried, do so! It actually battles the lactic acid in your muscles and makes you feel 110% better. You can pick it up at GNC or any health supplement store for around $25 for a 3 month supply.