Running in the rain

Options
EricMurano
EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
So on Tuesday it was raining and as a result I was about to give up the idea of exercising. It wasn't a weights day, that was Monday so it was a run or nothing. I don't like extended periods on the treadmill so I decided to brave the weather and go out for a run in the rain.

I had to leave my iPhone behind. I've never run without it before and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to bare it without a podcast distracting me.

I put on my old runners and a cap to keep drops out of my eyes. I told my partner that I wasn't taking my phone or keys with me. Out the door I went into the first few drops hitting my unsuspecting back.

I was so much fun! I wasn't raining that hard and I kind of wish it was. The lack of audio entertainment was actually quite nice and the sound of the rain, the splashing of my runners hitting the foot path and the serenity created by the absence of others.

My mind wandered and created enough of a distraction from the task of jogging. I only needed to give myself the "don't stop jogging" affirmation 3 times during the run. The cool air and water hitting me was enough to cool me down and I plodded along.

I'm hoping it rains again soon and hopefully a little harder than that time so I can go out of a jog and just enjoy letting myself get drenched without worrying about finding somewhere dry to hide!

Replies

• drblythe
    drblythe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I love running in the rain, and I'm actually better when I do!
    I don't get hot or thirsty :)

I usually start up my music and c25k app then wrap my phone in plastic wrap and plastic bags (I wrap it with lots of things just to be safe) then put it in my pocket and off I go :) haven't had any water damage yet (fingers crossed)

It's summer now so no rain for me for a while, but I can't wait for winter to come back around