Gym v. Home workouts

Options
Kimbosbc
Kimbosbc Posts: 143 Member
Hey fellow C Noters:

I am trying to find out if you find it easier to stay focused and workout in a gym environment or at home. I tend to not want to work out in front of others because I am ashamed but I wonder if the gym wouldn't offer me so much more. I have only been at this for 2.5 weeks and I am trying to work up to more strenuous workouts. My knees have been bothering me so I am working into it gradually. I have an Xbox Kinect and have been using that so far. What are your thoughts and suggestions?

Replies

• nikkirosem
    nikkirosem Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Ya know I am one of those who say that I am going to workout at home...and then sleep in extra or have "other" things to do at home. I find that when I have someone to keep me on track and at the gym I am more likely to workout. I like to workout at the gym. I usually can show up the skinny people. Sometimes that makes me feel good. :tongue:
  • HeyHeyRae
    Options
    When I go to a gym, I bring my headphones to plug into my phone (or ipod or whatever) and I close my eyes while I'm on the treadmill or whatever it may be and I crank the music up super loud so I can't hear or see anyone else. I just focus on me. As for exercising at home... If you can do it, then kudos!!! I constantly say "I'm going to do (insert whatever exercise you want) at home" but never do because it's home. At a gym, people expect you to be working out. At home, you have free reign. You have no expectations around you. But it's all about your comfort level and your self motivation and whether or not you can be disciplined. I know that if I'm at the gym, the looks I get from people as I walk in are more "wow, good for her, at least she's trying" rather than "omg look at that thing." They're honestly not there to judge you. They're impressed that someone of our size is trying. Good luck. It took me three years of trying to lose weight unsuccessfully, and gaining almost 100lbs more in that time, to finally learn to tune out whatever looks come my way. I'm huge compared to them, but I'm busting my butt to try and even the playing grounds.
  • hiwy44
    hiwy44 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have had gym memberships in the past but then they go to waste. Being winter now I just bought the Zumba for my wii, very cool and really gets me moving and not boring like my treadmill for aerobics. I have always wanted to learn tai chi but they do not offer any classes in my area and I am on second shift for the winter. Bought some tai chi videos, one is for seniors, very informative and explains every move! My plan is to work on the tai chi when I wake up, and zumba before I go to work! and Total fitness gym for strength 3 times a week. I like the total fitness gym, you can work lots of body parts, very smooth machine, and you really do get a work out!! My goal is to NOT get bored with this routine, I get BORED!! I have to change it up and when spring ever gets here I can get outside!!!!!!! I like shooting hoops and walking the paths through the parks and working in my garden. If I can stay healthy (back and knee) I will be ok? I just don't feel comfortable working out in front of others right now.
  • Kimbosbc
    Options
    I have had gym memberships in the past but then they go to waste. Being winter now I just bought the Zumba for my wii, very cool and really gets me moving and not boring like my treadmill for aerobics. I have always wanted to learn tai chi but they do not offer any classes in my area and I am on second shift for the winter. Bought some tai chi videos, one is for seniors, very informative and explains every move! My plan is to work on the tai chi when I wake up, and zumba before I go to work! and Total fitness gym for strength 3 times a week. I like the total fitness gym, you can work lots of body parts, very smooth machine, and you really do get a work out!! My goal is to NOT get bored with this routine, I get BORED!! I have to change it up and when spring ever gets here I can get outside!!!!!!! I like shooting hoops and walking the paths through the parks and working in my garden. If I can stay healthy (back and knee) I will be ok? I just don't feel comfortable working out in front of others right now.

You should try the Wii Fit or Wii Active. I have tried both of those. Wii Fit is a good place to start and work your way up to Wii Active. Active changes it up and keeps it from getting boring.
  • LovinLifeChik
    LovinLifeChik Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I belong to a small gym in my area that is fairly low in cost and I think the most people that have been there at the same time is under a dozen. It's all folks like me - not necessarily my size or weight, as much as they just want to get a good workout in and don't want all the hype of the larger gyms. I love it there and look forward to going.

That said, I would love to do some workouts at home. I don't have a video game counsel or exercise equipment here though. Can anyone recommend a good ZUMBA DVD on the market?
  • Kimbosbc
    Options
    I have thought about it and I have decided to re-up my membership at the YMCA. I had it for about a year and was actually going just about every day. I think if I combine that with MFP, I will have no problem. I think that this time I am going to spend a little bit of money on myself and pay for the personal trainer. I think you can get 3 one hour sessions for $99. At least that is what it was before. Hope it is still the same, but regardless, I am going to do it. Its about time that I take charge and if that means a little money, so be it.
  • mbslim42
    Options
    I belong to the YMCA and I also like to exercise at home. When I am at the Y I try to focus on my own workout and I can see that everyone else there is focusing on their own workouts - not on me or my weight. One really important thing to think of when you hire a personal trainer. Make sure he/she is qualified to work with overweight people (who have many pounds to lose, not just a few) I say this because if a trainer has you doing, say, 2 sets of 15 lunges with a weighted 10 lb ball, you may not be able to walk the next day. I had an overzealous trainer who pushed me to do way too much and I did not work out again for days! Just do a few of each exercise if they are new and focus on form and quality!
  • jessicagrimwood
    Options
    When I first started, I refused to go to the gym out of fear. The gym I go to is full of college kids and I am in my thirties. I finally overcame my fear and went for the first time. I realized then that no one really paid any attention to me, nor did they care. It is great and I am better at working out at the gym rather than at home.