5K in Wisconsin

jennyjo79
jennyjo79 Posts: 95 Member
Hi everyone!
I am looking for something to set my sights on and help keep me motivated. I thought that signing up & committing to a 5K run would be a great goal to keep me focused and was wondering if any of you know of - or do - any races in the Northcentral Wisconsin area? I have participated in the United Way Run at Riverside Athletic Club in May, but that's it so far. Anything good coming up this Spring?
Thanks!

Replies

• beckywilkeherbst
    beckywilkeherbst Posts: 139 Member
    I would love to know also. My ultimate goal is to run a 5k this coming summer.
  • jennyjo79
    What part of WI are you in?

I am in the Wausau area myself.

I've found a couple races that are coming up so far ... one in March in New London (for their big St. Patty's Day celebration) and another in Door County the first weekend in May. I'd love to do both, but am trying to get my Hubby to commit to doing them w/me. Neither of us were much for running before, but am hoping if we both start, we'll keep one another motivated. *crosses fingers*

I'd like to fing a couple races that are closer by, too --- just in case I can't make a weekend of it. And well, just because it would be more convenient. Hoping there's something coming up in the Wausau or Point area in the next 3 months or so ...
  • beckywilkeherbst
    beckywilkeherbst Posts: 139 Member
    I am in the Fox Valley area. New London prob would be doable for me. Depending where in Door County that is about 2-3 hours away from me.

I am no where close to being able to run it. I have been doing the couch to 5k on my treadmill for the last few months and am currently on level 3. Run 90 seconds/walk 90 seconds then run 3 minutes/walk 3 minutes. Taking it slow, building up my endurance, trying to keep at it daily.

I want to be able to RUN the 5k this summer, not walk and jog. :-) I have no dillusions of winning, just want to say that I made it. I will keep looking around for other races, also. :-)
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    I can't run but I would like to try a 5 K walk......I need something else to work towards doing. I am in Adams Co.
  • jennyjo79
    I am in the Fox Valley area. New London prob would be doable for me. Depending where in Door County that is about 2-3 hours away from me.

I am no where close to being able to run it. I have been doing the couch to 5k on my treadmill for the last few months and am currently on level 3. Run 90 seconds/walk 90 seconds then run 3 minutes/walk 3 minutes. Taking it slow, building up my endurance, trying to keep at it daily.

I want to be able to RUN the 5k this summer, not walk and jog. :-) I have no dillusions of winning, just want to say that I made it. I will keep looking around for other races, also. :-)

Whoops! Disregard the question (about week you're on in the C25K) that I'd left on your status. I hadn't seen this message first, but now see you're on level 3. I've done C25K in the past myself and in my experience, week #3 is a challenging one ... it's where you really transition to running more and building that endurance. Good for you for sticking with it!
    That is my plan for prepping for the 5K as well --- doing the C25K again. I like how it builds you up slowly; though I should've just stuck with it the first time around. Ah well, could've's, should've's would'ves, right!? ;)
    I'm sure you'll rock your first race! I remember when I did mine; I was so nervous I was going to be left in the dust! It's amazing, though, once you start how things change. When there are so many others around you the competitive spirit in ya' kicks in and suddenly you're motivated like you've never been. It's awesome just to experience it. I swear, I finished that race feeling like I could do anything! [And, to my surprise, actually placed in the top 3 for my age group.]
  • jennyjo79
    I can't run but I would like to try a 5 K walk......I need something else to work towards doing. I am in Adams Co.

Good for you. That is a great goal & thing to start out with! When I first started my weight loss journey (on Weight Watchers) - years ago - I did a walk fo the March of Dimes - usually held in early May around here - and remember how good completing something like that felt. Especially since it was nothing I'd ever done before.

Do you all have work-out/walking/running partners or do it on your own?
  • I know this isn't really close, but I thought I would post it just in case any other Wisconsinites would like to participate. Last summer, I did a 5K called "Dirty Girl Mud Run" in Johnson Creek. It is a breast cancer themed one. People wear all kinds of pink stuff, costumes, etc. Not only do you run/walk/crawl if you must (lol), but you also do some fun obstacles (run through mud, jump in water pits, go through tires, etc). It sounds really intimidating, but it literally is so fun. It's even better when doing it with close friends or family. All the people that participated last year were so nice and helpful. If you were falling behind, a complete stranger would encourage you and make sure that you were alright.

I am definitely signing up next year and would love to see some of you there :)
  • jennyjo79
    I know this isn't really close, but I thought I would post it just in case any other Wisconsinites would like to participate. Last summer, I did a 5K called "Dirty Girl Mud Run" in Johnson Creek. It is a breast cancer themed one. People wear all kinds of pink stuff, costumes, etc. Not only do you run/walk/crawl if you must (lol), but you also do some fun obstacles (run through mud, jump in water pits, go through tires, etc). It sounds really intimidating, but it literally is so fun. It's even better when doing it with close friends or family. All the people that participated last year were so nice and helpful. If you were falling behind, a complete stranger would encourage you and make sure that you were alright.

I SO wanted to do this one this past year (I think they may have other locations thru the state), but ended up having something else going on that weekend. It sounded like SO.MUCH.FUN! Have they posted the dates yet for 2012 that you know of?
  • goalie35
    goalie35 Posts: 181 Member
    I know this isn't really close, but I thought I would post it just in case any other Wisconsinites would like to participate. Last summer, I did a 5K called "Dirty Girl Mud Run" in Johnson Creek. It is a breast cancer themed one. People wear all kinds of pink stuff, costumes, etc. Not only do you run/walk/crawl if you must (lol), but you also do some fun obstacles (run through mud, jump in water pits, go through tires, etc). It sounds really intimidating, but it literally is so fun. It's even better when doing it with close friends or family. All the people that participated last year were so nice and helpful. If you were falling behind, a complete stranger would encourage you and make sure that you were alright.

I am planning on doing the Dirty Girl this year. Have not done it the past but it looks like so much fun. Right now my neighbor and I are trying to form a team.

To look for other races you might want to try www.runnersworld.com
  • shad1018
    shad1018 Posts: 191 Member
    There is United Way 2K and 5K in Merrill on May 19th.

I.m from the Wausau area too :smile:
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    I do it on my own. I can't seem to get anyone to do it with me. I suggested we walk around the track at the middle school and no one has taken me up on it. I will check into the March of Dimes. Thanks for the suggestion and good luck on the runs! I hope to do it one day.
  • jennyjo79

I am planning on doing the Dirty Girl this year. Have not done it the past but it looks like so much fun. Right now my neighbor and I are trying to form a team.

To look for other races you might want to try www.runnersworld.com

Thanks for the runnersworld link; I'll definitely have to check it out. Seems there are a lot out there, but many are just getting around to updating their sites for the New Year ...
  • jennyjo79
    There is United Way 2K and 5K in Merrill on May 19th.

I.m from the Wausau area too :smile:

Thanks for the info, Shad! I'll have to put this one on the calendar. This was my first and only race I'd participated in before. I enjoyed it; wasn't a HUGE crowd and there were all levels participating, so it didn't feel too intimidating for my first time. :)
    Have you done this one before, too?

P.S. Nice to see someone here that's nearby, too!
  • jennyjo79
    This is the Door County one I'm hoping to sign Hubby & I up for ... earlybird registration goes till January 31st. There's a half marathon and als a 5K. I'm just going for the 5K. LOL

http://doorcountyhalfmarathon.com

I've never participated in this one before, but we love Door County and think this would be a great place to run.
    Hoping to sign us up in the next week or two. I figure we need to COMMIT now, so we HAVE TO keep motivated and prepare.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    I'm really new to Wisconsin (just moved here in late July) and live in Stevens Point. I know where Wausau is. LOL! Are any of these 5Ks you guys are talking about anywhere near me?

I told my hubby I feel like I need to watch the evening news with a map in hand so I can figure out where things are that are being talked about. I've been to Appleton/OshKosh area twice, Wausau twice and other than that just pretty much stayed in Stevens Point except when we drive back to Iowa for the holidays.
  • I'm really new to Wisconsin (just moved here in late July) and live in Stevens Point. I know where Wausau is. LOL! Are any of these 5Ks you guys are talking about anywhere near me?

I told my hubby I feel like I need to watch the evening news with a map in hand so I can figure out where things are that are being talked about. I've been to Appleton/OshKosh area twice, Wausau twice and other than that just pretty much stayed in Stevens Point except when we drive back to Iowa for the holidays.

I happened to peek in with the Wisconsin Group and saw your post--
    Since you are fairly new to SP you may not know about the Point Bock Run in March. It is one of the best in the state. It may be a little long if you are only looking for 5K (it is 5 miles), but it is very flat (and thus fast). Weather is usually pretty nice. Sign up quickly as it is already filling up (and they limit the # of entrants.) You will have a great race and there is beer at the end!
    I have run this three times now and really enjoy myself. I have friends who live in Point.
    http://www.pointbeer.com/point-bock-run

Also for anybody interested, these sites have a lot of races listed:
    http://www.runningintheusa.com/Race/List.aspx?State=WI
    http://www.badgerlandstriders.org/home.htm

Forward!
  • ebaymommy
    I'm really new to Wisconsin (just moved here in late July) and live in Stevens Point. I know where Wausau is. LOL! Are any of these 5Ks you guys are talking about anywhere near me?

I happened to peek in with the Wisconsin Group and saw your post--
    Since you are fairly new to SP you may not know about the Point Bock Run in March. It is one of the best in the state. It may be a little long if you are only looking for 5K (it is 5 miles), but it is very flat (and thus fast). Weather is usually pretty nice. Sign up quickly as it is already filling up (and they limit the # of entrants.) You will have a great race and there is beer at the end!
    I have run this three times now and really enjoy myself. I have friends who live in Point.
    http://www.pointbeer.com/point-bock-run

Also for anybody interested, these sites have a lot of races listed:
    http://www.runningintheusa.com/Race/List.aspx?State=WI
    http://www.badgerlandstriders.org/home.htm

Forward!

Thank you for that link! I'm definitely signing up. One of the ladies at my church told me about it but I didn't know the site to sign up at.

I'm definitely up for a 5 mile race. I did the Stevens Point YMCA Frostbite 10 mile run last month and won 1st place in my age group. The Door County run looks gorgeous but I checked on MapQuest and it's about 3 hours from me. I would definitely do the 1/2 marathon if I was driving that far. I'm running my 5th full marathon in June (Grandma's in Duluth, MN). Can't wait!
  • ebaymommy
    I just signed up for the Point Bock run!
  • I just signed up for the Point Bock run!

That's great! I think you'll really like it--hope the weather stays nice!

I ran the Frostbite two years ago and liked that one also. That's what I like about Point--it's pretty flat and not too windy, so you can always count on great race times!

If your race schedule isn't already packed, check out this one in nearby Iola [http://www.greatlakesendurance.com/wisconsin-races/iola-trail-run.html]. It looks fun. I am thinking of doing the 15K this year.
    Good luck!
  • jennyjo79

Welcome to WI! :)

The United Way 5K I mentioned earlier is at Riverside Athletic Club in Merrill, which is a small community about 20 miles south of Wausau.
    Door County is also a beautiful area, but about 2-2 1/2 hours from Central WI, I believe. It's the peninsula of WI and is very touristy in the summer. My Hubby & I love to go there for a relaxing vacation ... they have a lot of great markets & wineries ... and gorgeous sunsets. :love: We've made hotel reservations already, so when we do the Door County 5K we can make a weekend of it. Can't wait!