5K in Wisconsin

Replies

• ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    I just signed up for the Point Bock run!

That's great! I think you'll really like it--hope the weather stays nice!

I ran the Frostbite two years ago and liked that one also. That's what I like about Point--it's pretty flat and not too windy, so you can always count on great race times!

If your race schedule isn't already packed, check out this one in nearby Iola [http://www.greatlakesendurance.com/wisconsin-races/iola-trail-run.html]. It looks fun. I am thinking of doing the 15K this year.
    Good luck!

That one looks fun, thanks for the link! My kids were excited about the 2K kids race as well (although my dd - age 9 - didn't think the 2K was long enough...she ran 2 different 5Ks last summer).

And my bran must have been turned off when I was typing this. I moved to WI in late August, not late July. Oh well, what's a month? LOL!
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Point Bock run is full already! Glad I got signed up!
  • Point Bock run is full already! Glad I got signed up!

It gets filled up sooner every year! They have to limit the # of runners because the roads around the brewery aren't wide enough to handle all the people. I recommend picking up your race packet the day before (I think it is at the brewery) to avoid the crowd on race day. Also, if you live close enough, just walk there or plan to park far away. It's a pretty well-run race but the beer tent afterwards get pretty full (and a little gamey, if you know what I mean--from all the sweaty runners)!
    If you like big races then come on down to Madison in late April for Crazylegs. Up to 20K people! http://www.crazylegsclassic.com/

Good luck! Looking forward to a race report!
  • Hello, I'm brand new to MyFitnessPal and am a "message-board-lurker" from Wausau. This may be a little off-topic from 5k, but I'm going to share it anyway. I'm not a 5K person myself, but I love hiking and have participated the last two years in a walking event called Walk Wisconsin. This is a full, half, and quarter marathon for walkers held in Stevens Point. I did the half in 2010 and the full last year. It is non-competitive, so serious runners will want to look elsewhere, but for people like me, it is perfect. I plan to do the half with my son this year.
  • Hello, I'm brand new to MyFitnessPal and am a "message-board-lurker" from Wausau. This may be a little off-topic from 5k, but I'm going to share it anyway. I'm not a 5K person myself, but I love hiking and have participated the last two years in a walking event called Walk Wisconsin. This is a full, half, and quarter marathon for walkers held in Stevens Point. I did the half in 2010 and the full last year. It is non-competitive, so serious runners will want to look elsewhere, but for people like me, it is perfect. I plan to do the half with my son this year.

I was thinking about doing the half this year with my sister that lives in Stevens Point. At what pace would one have to walk to complete it in a reasonable amount of time?
  • I know this isn't really close, but I thought I would post it just in case any other Wisconsinites would like to participate. Last summer, I did a 5K called "Dirty Girl Mud Run" in Johnson Creek. It is a breast cancer themed one. People wear all kinds of pink stuff, costumes, etc. Not only do you run/walk/crawl if you must (lol), but you also do some fun obstacles (run through mud, jump in water pits, go through tires, etc). It sounds really intimidating, but it literally is so fun. It's even better when doing it with close friends or family. All the people that participated last year were so nice and helpful. If you were falling behind, a complete stranger would encourage you and make sure that you were alright.

I am definitely signing up next year and would love to see some of you there :)

I am planning on doing the Dirty Girl this year. Have not done it the past but it looks like so much fun. Right now my neighbor and I are trying to form a team.

To look for other races you might want to try www.runnersworld.com

The Dirty Girl is an absolute blast!! I did it with friends last year and we're doing ti again this year. If you're interested, sign up soon - the waves are filling quickly!
  • goalie35
    goalie35 Posts: 181 Member
    I know this isn't really close, but I thought I would post it just in case any other Wisconsinites would like to participate. Last summer, I did a 5K called "Dirty Girl Mud Run" in Johnson Creek. It is a breast cancer themed one. People wear all kinds of pink stuff, costumes, etc. Not only do you run/walk/crawl if you must (lol), but you also do some fun obstacles (run through mud, jump in water pits, go through tires, etc). It sounds really intimidating, but it literally is so fun. It's even better when doing it with close friends or family. All the people that participated last year were so nice and helpful. If you were falling behind, a complete stranger would encourage you and make sure that you were alright.

I signed up for this year's race and I so looking forward to it. I'm in wave 13.
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    I just signed up for the Seroogy's 5K. I'm not a runner, but I do like to walk them and don't do too badly. The Walk Wisconsin sounds interesting, I'm going to look it up.
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    This is a good site to find races in your area:

http://coolrunning.com/engine/1/index.shtml
  • jsc4him
    jsc4him Posts: 40 Member
    I know this isn't really close, but I thought I would post it just in case any other Wisconsinites would like to participate. Last summer, I did a 5K called "Dirty Girl Mud Run" in Johnson Creek. It is a breast cancer themed one. People wear all kinds of pink stuff, costumes, etc. Not only do you run/walk/crawl if you must (lol), but you also do some fun obstacles (run through mud, jump in water pits, go through tires, etc). It sounds really intimidating, but it literally is so fun. It's even better when doing it with close friends or family. All the people that participated last year were so nice and helpful. If you were falling behind, a complete stranger would encourage you and make sure that you were alright.

I am planning on doing the Dirty Girl this year. Have not done it the past but it looks like so much fun. Right now my neighbor and I are trying to form a team.

The Dirty Girl is an absolute blast!! I did it with friends last year and we're doing ti again this year. If you're interested, sign up soon - the waves are filling quickly!

I have signed up for the Dirty Girl run in Hartland on Aug.18th. I am very excited because I am going to be in better shape! I did the Warrior Dash last year and finished in 53minutes. It was alot of fun!

There is also a Dirty Girl 5K in the Twin Cities for those of you in northern WI , here is the link http://www.godirtygirl.com/event-schedule/
  • I looked at the site but I have never signed up for anything like this. How do you sign a team up? It looks like everyone has to sign up individually

I have signed up for the Dirty Girl run in Hartland on Aug.18th. I am very excited because I am going to be in better shape! I did the Warrior Dash last year and finished in 53minutes. It was alot of fun!

There is also a Dirty Girl 5K in the Twin Cities for those of you in northern WI , here is the link http://www.godirtygirl.com/event-schedule/
  • jsc4him
    When you sign up, there is a pull down box to select your team. There is also a place on the registration page where you can enter your team's name. After that, your team mates can sign up and select your team. You can also go in after you have signed up and change your status from individual to a team member. I created a team, Hope for Hooters, and emailed a bunch of ladies telling them to sign up under my team. We have 9 ladies on our team!

There are 250 spots in each wave. I think there are 36 or 37 waves that start every 15 minutes! That's alot of women!! The race is over halfway filled already!
  • jsc4him
    An alternative to the Dirty Girl 5K is the Warrior Dash. It is similar but is open to men and women. I think the obstacles are more difficult but I was able to do most of them. You can skip an obstacle but you would not be eligible for any prizes for coming in 1st place. My goal was just to finish and not be last! There is a Warrior Dash in Johnson Creek the same day as the Dirty Girl in Hartland on Aug 18th. There is also a Warrior Dash in Hastings, MN on June 30 and July 1st.
  • Thanks for the response. I got into the sign up area but wasn't sure if once i completed my sign up if anyone could join my team at a later date. It sounds like so long as there are slots open for more people you can add to your team but if all the slots are filled your crap out of luck. also I wasn't sure about the cost it looks like it is $75 per person and i wasn't sure if that was paid at time of sign up or the day of the race?
  • I just Signed up with a group of women and girls to do the Dirty Girl 5K in Heartland. getting excited already even though it isn't until Aug.:happy: . I have never done anything like this before but it sounds so fun. I have been trying to break out of my box lately and this is way out of the box for me.
  • PedmomJill
    Oh the Warrior Dash looks AWESOME!!!!!! It looks like a cross between the Dirty Girl and the Tough Mudder. I have been trying to decide if I want to attempt the TM in Sept but I just think it would be too hard for me. Not to mention the thought of electric shock is very unappealing. To say the least!

I am really interested in this Warrior Dash!
  • jsc4him
    Oh the Warrior Dash looks AWESOME!!!!!! It looks like a cross between the Dirty Girl and the Tough Mudder. I have been trying to decide if I want to attempt the TM in Sept but I just think it would be too hard for me. Not to mention the thought of electric shock is very unappealing. To say the least!

I am really interested in this Warrior Dash!

The Warrior Dash is great! I was not able to do some of the obstacles that required alot of upper body strength....my poor arms could not pull my big ole body up! The fire obstacle and mud pit are the best. Have fun if you go!
  • PedmomJill
    Thanks JSC! I'm trying to find friends to do it with me. :)
  • jlj9287
    jlj9287 Posts: 51 Member
    There is also the Rock 'n Sole for Summerfest in Milwaukee on June 23rd. I'll (most likely) be there since it's just a few blocks from work. Is anyone else thinking about it?
  • esjaygee
    esjaygee Posts: 148 Member
    I've decided to join a 5K Walk sometime this year and while hunting around I found a site that has lots of links to 5K and other races.

http://www.runningintheusa.com/Race/List.aspx?State=WI