Drinks

Options
PanteraGirl
PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
Hi all, just joined this group!! And really liking it so far!

So I'm a long time drinker 7 days a week.........I love just my beer and red wine however part of my new years resolution is to significantly cut the booze out of my life....no more weekday drinks period. I want to live a healthier lifestyle. I quite smoking 3 years ago successfully. Time to get rid of all the bad habits!

I'm looking for some good ideas to quench my thirst other than water which I drink tons of at work. Looking for something low cal, and low sugar/sodium content. I'm not a pop drinker either. Just looking for something tasty to reach for rather than reaching for a beer or wine.

I'm thinking I will start with lemon water...a friend suggested that.

Ideas would be much appreciated! Yesterday was Day 1.

Replies

• VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Crystal light is not necessarily clean but it saved me when I was trying to quit drinking, it's sweet and something to drink that isn't booze or water. Good luck and I'm so glad you joined this group :)
  • clankp22
    clankp22 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Iced tea with lemon instead of sweetener or sugar?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Plain mineral or soda water - the fizz makes it feel like you are having something special, not just regular water. You can add sliced lemon or lime or a splash or lime or lemon juice and it's even tastier.
    No calories, though there is some sodium there (I don't log it, though it would be a good idea).
    When I'm out at the pub I usually alternate soda water with an alcoholic drink - it's an easy way to drink half the amount and much better for you and your wallet!
  • maryq5
    maryq5 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I drink alot of herbal teas. Luckily I found an herbal store that actually purchases locally grown herbs and makes their own teas. Love them! If you are serious about eliminating drink... then you might want to start with a detox to cleanse your digestive track. Yep... there are teas for that too.

I'm also a big water drinker... love the slice of lime or lemon.
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Iced green tea sweetened with a bit of honey or agave nectar; a 1/2 juice 1/2 seltzer drink with a slice of fruit in it; maybe something warm that you can savor like herbal tea, or hot apple cider? Drinking like smoking is as much about the ritual as it is the beverage, so make your drink something you enjoy leisurely while relaxing. I think your resolution is great!!
  • tricia19444
    Options
    I like Raspberry Lime Sparkling water... has a carbonated martini flavor to me. I found my store had 3 different manufacturers of it, but there was one of those I really like. Anyway it has 0 calories.
  • MFPLynne
    MFPLynne Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am not a soda drinker either but I do like sparkling water. Talking Rain and La Croix don't have any sodium added to them.
    Herbal teas are also great.
    I recently started drinking low sodium veggie juice -- just keep it clean and don't make it a bloody mary! :smile:
  • darjeelingexpress
    darjeelingexpress Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I received a Soda Stream for Christmas, so I'm drinking carbonated water with lemon slices. It's pretty tasty - much better than plain H2O.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Last night I had half a lime and half a lemon juice with 16-20 oz of cold water and Stevia....cool and refreshing tang!!!!! Gulp!
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Try seltzer, or club soda with a little bit of flavored crystal light mixed in....it's pretty good....kinda tastes like a fruity soda without all the yucky stuff that comes with soda!
  • Eriam8
    Eriam8 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I make my own Ice Tea.
    Just boil over 2 litres of water, then add 2-3 pouches of any fruity herbal tea (my favorit is summerberries ginsen) And then cool in your fridge for over an hour.
    It's tasty like juice, but minus the calories and most herbal teas are caffein free (check the package first).

Tetley also makes a mojito tea (lime and mint) and it is pretty tasty hot and cold.

Sometimes I add a splash of soda water to make it fizzy when i feel like drinking Sodas
  • treesapplaud
    Options
    You can try mint iced tea. Yum!
  • sjk33
    sjk33 Posts: 4
    Options
    bump
  • dandes
    dandes Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi! Congratulations on your accomplishments! Amazing! I really enjoy my wine and with summer coming, it's hard to stay away from it during social functions. So, instead of drinking a whole glass of wine, I make a light spritzer with sparkling water (soda or perrier and a splash (1 oz) of rose wine or white wine and ice. You still get your fix. My husband is a big tea drinker, he loves to buy loose tea leaves in bulk and make his own blends. He'll make a big batch and store it in a pitcher in the fridge. You don't even need sweeteners for them, they are full of nutrients, antioxidants and are amazing thirst quenchers at 0 calories! Good luck, you are welcome to friend me! Sincerely, DD
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think beer and wine can be clean if you brew your own. :)

I'm a lifelong organic gardener and we grow our own hops for beer making. We also grow grapes, various fruit, and sugar pumpkins (also for beer).

Drinking is what you make of it. And in moderation if you do it all at home...no harm.