My goals for 2012

Options
StrongHeart
StrongHeart Posts: 294 Member
My goals for 2012...
Goal 1: Strive to stay within my calorie limit every day.
Goal 2: Consume a lot less sweets made with refined sugar.
Goal 3: Consume less sodium/salt.
Goal 4: Prepare most of my food at home so I can control the ingredients.
Goal 5: Eat more fresh fruit and fresh/frozen vegetables with each meal.
Goal 6: Eat moderate amounts of healthy, whole grain (high fiber) breads and cereals.
Goal 7: Eat NOTHING after 8:30pm.
Goal 8: Drink MORE Water and LESS of the other drinks such as tea, coffee, and diet cola.
Goal 9: Eliminate at least 30 pounds (preferably 50) by the last day of June 2012.
Goal 10: Be supportive of others on their weight loss journey.

Replies

• tenquilts
    Options
    Those are great goals but too many for me ... I would get frustrated with myself and be tempted to toss the whole thing! This year I'm trying to set truly measurable but reasonable goals - instead of "lose weight and get in shape," it's "lose 30 lbs and run a 5K without walking part of it." Plus I have other non-fitness goals I'd like to meet too.

My biggest weight loss challenge is really the empty calories in alcohol. My fiancé and I enjoy fine wines and microbrewed beers; he even brews his own beer as a hobby. But that's at least 200 calories an evening when we add it to our meal! I don't have much of a sweet tooth and find it easy to stay away from foods like chocolate or ice cream, and I can't handle ANYTHING sweet in the mornings. But I like carbs, and heavy sauces, and often go back for seconds.

So I think I'll borrow a few of your goals and create a few of my own also:
    1 - lose 30 lbs by June 30, 2012
    2 - work out at least twice a week
    3 - eliminate alcohol intake during week, limit to under 150 calories each weekend
    4 - consume nothing after 8:30 PM except water (good one, but hard to do sometimes when working late!)
    5 - keep tracking my food and exercise daily

I'm new here and am not sure how the friends thing works but would love to find others facing similar challenges.
  • Susiej1976
    Susiej1976 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Tenquilts,
    My goals are very similar. We have very similar issues.

Strongheat,
    You have a lot of goals. Please let me know if you need encouragement. I am a good cheerleader.
  • Lippis
    Lippis Posts: 21
    Options
    I have really been thinking about this lately. Not just because it is the new year and always a good time for reflection and reassessment but becauase I feel like my "I'm doing now more than I was before" attitude is only going to get me so far. I have not been strict with any of my endevors that I began in October in an attempt to not self sabatoge early on in, to just be proud no matter what because I was doing more than before which is all I could ask at the time. Also because I didnt want this to be a thing I just did for a set time then stopped doing because I know thats not how this works. I need to live this life these better choices these new activities. I need to want to do them to love to eat them and to do it all for me first and foremost. I think right now when I am feeling pretty positive and successful and forward thinking is a good time to really make some achievable goals meet them, celebrate and reward them and then come back to this point and think to the future again. Someone on a blog I was reading made a great statement that these next 6 monhts are going to pass no matter what I do. So I might as well put my best foot forward and live each and every single one of the days. If not not when when, if not me then who. June 30, 2012 I look forward to you. I think I am even going to change my ticker to just live these next 6 months. One day at a time.

My Goals for 2012. The first 6 mohtns. Jan 1, - June 30, 2012
    ~~Take My Vitamins every single day
    ~~Log on to MFP every single day
    ~~Track My Water Mon - Fri

~~Make Perfect Attendance at Boot Camp
    ~~Make minimum of 1 Pilates class every week

~~Run the Cottage 5K on March 25, 2012
    ~~Loose 30lbs

I think these are pretty exciting. I look forward to doing each one of them. So far aside from the vitamins, the tracking of my water and the pilates class (my instructor is out this week training and had limited hours last week due to the new year) I have done all of the daily trackable ones.

I am going to a yoga class with some girlfriends today so that can count as pilates for this week, and I go back to Pilates next Saturday morning. And I took my vitamins every day while at work this year so far so that not a bad start. The water - that goes back to the "at least I am drinking more water than before" mentality of not pressing myself over tracking it and just rewarding the sheer fact that I am actually drinking it. I cut all soda out about 6 months ago thankfully. But that's what goals are for. Challenging myself to do better one day at a time better.

Thank you ladies for your goals and your discussion which lets me say these things out loud bringing them into reality. I look forward to sharing support and motivation as we all head to great heights in the next 6 months!!! Cheers to your goals and your commitments to each of your individual health and wellness!!
  • jjohnboy2000
    jjohnboy2000 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Tend to agree with Tenquilts that there may be too many challenges. While its admirable to have goals and aims, too many could be a distraction. What happens if you miss one? Will it derail the others? Hope not.

Will keep mine simple.

1. Exercise more
    2. Aim to lose 2 pounds a week
    3. Be more confident.
    4. Lose 2.5 stone. (35 pounds)
    5. Drink more water.

Whatever your goals, hope you achieve them. Oh be happy & believe in yourself.
  • MrsSYDL
    MrsSYDL Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    S-pecific
    M-easurable
    A-ction oriented and A-ccountable
    R-ealistic
    T-imely

S- I want to BANISH a total of 52 pounds
    M- size 10 by March 16; size 8 by July 16; size 6 pants by October 16 (my anniversary).
    A- I want to work out for at least 60 minutes x 3 days a week. My husband & trainer will keep me accountable. I hope that you guys will as well.
    R- 15 pounds by March 16; 25 pounds (around 1/2) by May 31st; second 1/2 of fat by October 16 (my anniversary).
    T- My goals are outlined above based on time. BANISHING about 5 pounds a month.
  • StrongHeart
    StrongHeart Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    1 month down :happy:

When I weighed myself on New Years Eve the scale registered 378 (This was good compared to my highest weight). I look forward to weighing in tomorrow (Jan,31st) to see what my weight loss was for January

:happy: Join me on my journey