No Meat/No Dairy

Options
PanteraGirl
PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
Can anyone help me with no meat and no dairy recipes?

I'm looking to in-corporate not meat and no dairy recipes in my diet once or twice a week. I know you could buy pastas and sauce without dairy in them...but I'm interested in seeing some different types of recipes as I'm new to this.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    Try www.theppk.com site
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    There are so many great vegan recipes! Go to the website vegnews.com and sign up for their free e-newsletter. They send recipes right to you and have ones on their site as well. I used to subscribe to the Vegetarian Times (another great mag) which always had delicious recipes. I think mexican style dishes are a great way to start. Bean and rice burritos topped with homemade salsa or guacamole, bean tostadas, etc. These are easy to put together without any special recipe. Soups like vegetarian chili, tomato vegetable, or lentil are easy to start with as well. Good luck to you! I've been a vegetarian for over 23 years and I never get tired of the variety of foods I can eat.
  • MFPLynne
    MFPLynne Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this salad. As do others who try it. We use Stevia in the Raw in place of sugar but I think any sweetener would...or try without.

Szechuan Black-Eyed Pea Salad http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/11122
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    Also get a vegan cookbook!
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to try that black eyed pea salad! YUM!

Butternut Squash soup:
    1 butternut squash (roasted, peeled and cubed)
    1 yellow onion (chopped)
    1 large apple (chopped)
    1/4 teasp each of ginger, cinnimon and cayanne pepper
    a few cups of veggie stock

boil until everything is soft, put in in a blender and serve. I like it not blended but hubby doesn't like to see the onions lol

Or the minestrone recipe I sent you without beef

lately I've been making eggplant and mushroom stirfry:
    Sautee eggplant, mushrooms and onion in olive oil, add soy sauce, ground ginger, crushed red pepper, and if you want more kick chili oil...yesterday I put peanut butter in it to up my protein and make like a peanut butter sauce.

good question Nancy, I will definitely be checking back here to see what people post
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    oh and spaghetti squash...mmmmm
  • MFPLynne
    MFPLynne Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to try that black eyed pea salad! YUM!

Emily: I hope you like it! I am sure you will.
  • gillybumbler
    Options
    I have some recipes in my food diary. I alternate between meats and some grains. The best ones I have are the millet and cauliflower mash, the butternut squash soup, and the carrot and cauliflower "creamy" soup. You Should be able to view them somehow from my page. I also go to a lot of vegan blogs and print out recipes that fit my diet. this one is by far my favorite

http://sketch-freeveganeating.blogspot.com/
  • wendyhung
    wendyhung Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't have recipie suggestions but I have dairy replacement suggestions. Over a year ago found out my teen daughter was allergic to milk protein so she can't have milk, whey, casien, etc.. Through trial and error these are the best tasting non-dairy replacements we have found. I usually buy them at whole foods but you can look at stores in your area where ever you live.

Cheeses: daiya cheese(dairy, lactose, casein, gluten, soy, cholesterol free)
    Whole Foods Market will make a pizza with Daiya cheese that you can pick up.
    Rice shreds(shredded cheese alternative)

Milk: Rice milk-vanilla flavor - for cereal (don't cook with it..too watery)
    Almond milk -vanilla flavor for cereal or cooking
    Soy milk-vanilla flavor - for cooking
    Almond milk - chocolate flavor - tastes like a melted hersey almond bar!!!! Definately try it.

Chocolate: Pure icelandic chocolat - eat or bake with it..dairy free
    365 Vegan chocolate chips - for baking..can't even tell the difference between regular and these at all.

Butter: Best Life buttery spread

Replace any of these things in your regular recipie. Hope this helps.
  • treesapplaud
    Options
    Hi! We eat vegtarian at home and have quite a few vegan/lactose intolerant friends. My favorite go to recipe is a Vegan Risotto. And it is creamy ad delicious and can easile be adapted for whatever veggie you have at home. I saw someone previouly recommended the ppk blog I originally found it on, but the vegan risotto is no longer there. I did find it here:
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1038464

I always use celery and mushrooms. I have used combinations of these veggies: red beets, leek, sun dried tomatoes, squash, peas and probably a few others. After I add the olive oil at the end I sprinkle sesame seeds over the top.

If you like food from New Orleans, here are a few vegan recipes which taste pretty good. I think Cajun/Creole cooking is the Mount Everest of vegan cooking.

Chickpea Gumbo
    http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/03/04/chickpea-gumbo/
    Louisiana Red Beans & Rice
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/02/real-louisiana-red-beans-and-rice.html

Also think of other creamy things to replace the dairy. The two standards for us are tomato sauce or coconut milk.

You can also make a good veggie chilli with different beans, corn, onions and bulgur in it. The bulgur gives the chilli the right consistency.

You can also google a recipe for choclate syrup (just cocoa, sugar and water with a bit of vanilla) so it doesnät feel like youäre mising out on chocolate.