BJJ

Options
Anybody else got an interest in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (: ?

Replies

• cirka2002
    cirka2002 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I do. I trained in Gracie Barra BJJ for about 8 months last year until my instructor moved. I would still be doing it if I had an instructor.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I love doing ground work. I never used to though. Maybe I don't suck at it as much now that is why?!
  • yulinerinwang
    yulinerinwang Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hands up!
    I train in MMA.
  • Jeck
    Jeck Posts: 8
    Options
    I train MMA, but we do some grappling. But we don't have ranks in BJJ. I have competed in 3 grappling tournaments and do enjoy it!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Love watching MMA and have lots of respect for BJJ. Unfortunately, no schools in my area!

Not a problem though as I train in Jeet Kune Do at a gym right near my home.
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yep train BJJ and have for the last 16 months, its ace
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yes. Most of my weight loss up to this point is from grappling.
  • PSantos1
    PSantos1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Been addicted to BJJ for almost 4 years. One of my motivating factors for using myfitnesspal was so that I can compete in a lighter weight class.
  • stewartcarden
    Options
    Also compare an hour of sparring to almost any other exercise , I find it's nowhere near as intense as sparring is
  • garryhashman
    garryhashman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first month of Relson Gracie BJJ and I am hooked! I was using MFP a while ago but didn't commit, but now I want to get in better shape for BJJ. One month ago I weighed 268 lbs. I weighed myself tonight after open mat and was at 234 lbs. 34 lbs in one month! I can't get enough! Protect ya neck!
  • neekz0r
    neekz0r Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    BJJ -- the gift that keeps on giving.
  • rstoliker
    rstoliker Posts: 65
    Options
    Been going strong for 3 or so years. Blue Belt rank in Jiu Jitsu and Judo
  • REET420
    REET420 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I started last year I don't go much because I was too fat and uncomfortable at 257 pounds to move off my back. I lost 20 pounds if I can lose another 10 I should be able to move better. I prefer kickboxing for now till I get thinner.
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I started last year I don't go much because I was too fat and uncomfortable at 257 pounds to move off my back. I lost 20 pounds if I can lose another 10 I should be able to move better. I prefer kickboxing for now till I get thinner.

I started at 265 lbs. We have guys in the 300 lbs that train. The whole point of going is to get more comfortable with being on your back and moving, getting exercise and losing weight. I've lost 20 lbs doing a combo of BJJ and P90X. My flexibility is great and stamina is through the roof.

No matter what you start new, you won't be comfortable with it at first. Your body has to adjust and then it becomes easier and you are more comfortable.

So just get there man, you will reap the benefits. If you want to lose weight, BJJ is perfect. My core/abs have really benefited with BJJ as well.
  • Rokwell
    Rokwell Posts: 143
    Options
    I get it in
  • vthetigercat
    Options
    Heck yeah! I just started this past month and I friggin love it. I've been doing bodybuilding and swimming for a while, and I had been looking for a sport to use my endurance and strength.

The most important thing for me is that in the short time I've been practicing, it has strengthened my willpower, which is something I always strive to improve.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first month of Relson Gracie BJJ and I am hooked! I was using MFP a while ago but didn't commit, but now I want to get in better shape for BJJ. One month ago I weighed 268 lbs. I weighed myself tonight after open mat and was at 234 lbs. 34 lbs in one month! I can't get enough! Protect ya neck!

I'm jealous, man. I've been able to grapple-spar for a month now and haven't lost anything. I'd love to lose even a few pounds from all of the stuff I've been doing. :grumble: :sad:

I love sparring, though. I'm like a crack addict with it. :wink:

I'm technically in Ninjutsu, but it includes what my instructor refers to as American Jiu Jitsu. It's a mix of a lot of stuff, but grappling is a pretty huge part.
  • nostripewhite
    nostripewhite Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Been away from BJJ for 2 years, but had trained for 4 years before that and attained my blue belt. Only 20 lbs overweight, but my stamina and flexibility is GONE!
  • Brechin89
    Brechin89 Posts: 92
    Options
    Been doing it at the gracie academy down the street from my house. Been at it for a few years off and on. I've had a few amature fights.. To me its not a workout its training to be the best...Dream job would be fighting in the Cage as a professional. No other job, just training and fighting. That would be awesome
  • CallMePat
    CallMePat Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My Wado Ryu instructor is also a BJJ blackbelt under Rickson Gracie and teaches BJJ here in Nashville. I plan on joining full time after some serious self improvement and some solid Wado skills. Can't wait