Stiffer Peaks

Options
_Bro
_Bro Posts: 437 Member
A bit of reading and experimenting and I think that this is a pretty good list of general tips for not having fluff failure.
Also, an egg based technique should work with just about any protein powder as long as it is folded in
Please edit as necessary.

List of Items:
• Stainless steel bowl for mixing
• Two bowls for separating eggs
• Salt & white vinegar
• Eggs
• Spatula

1. Utilize a stainless steel bowl that is clean and dry. Additional liquids or other items can reduce the fluff. IE Stainless steel is preferable as fat residues will reduce or prevent fluffing.

2. As indicated above, fat reduces the volume of your fluff. With this in mind minimize the use of egg yolks or other sources of fat. If you opt for a higher fat content you can still freeze the mixture for a different denser texture (not fluffy).

3. Start off with cold eggs as they are easiest to separate. To separate the egg, crack and hold the shell halves over a bowl. Transfer the yolk back and forth between the shell halves allowing the white to fall into the bowl. Transfer the yolk to another bowl.

4. After separating, allow the egg whites to warm to room temperature as this will result in a greater volume of fluff. Double containers with warm water can be used to speed up this process.

5. Additives can be utilized to stabilize your fluff. Be sure not to add sugars at the start as it can double the amount of time to fluff the egg whites.

6. Stabilizers like Cream of tartar, xanthan gum, salt or acids like lemon juice or white white vinegar can be utilized. Also, guar gum adds a bit of extra smoothness and stability.

This process seems to fluff consistently (I will use the more common additives salt & vinegar):
1. Add a pinch of salt to the mixing bowl.
2. Beat eggs for one min at medium speed.
3. Add stabilizers if desired (xanthan gum, guar gum), beat for an additional 2 min at medium speed
4. Add a drop of acid (lemon or white vinegar) and beat on high for 3 min.
If the eggs do not start to fluff up add a pinch of additional salt and a drop of vinegar.

5. Stop, fold in protein powder, sweeteners, fruit, etc.

Fluff can then be consumed*, refrigerated, or frozen.
If you are concerned about salmonella, utilize pasteurized egg white (Egg Beaters?)

Replies

• MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    have you done any egg free fluffs? the Lemon cream pie one with the XF caesin powder was marvelous..... going to try it again with just a touch of Xantham gum to see if it gets thicker yet, but just the berries, milk, and powder fluffed pretty nice.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have not - need the extra protein :)
    However, I will give it a try - thank you!
  • stubsy1968
    stubsy1968 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Nick, thx for the recipe and instructions. Now I see where I went wrong :flowerforyou:

Will give it another try today - can't wait! :love:

Kathy
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Good tips. I tried an egg white fluff last night, but while it fluffed, it didn't fluff great. I think I see where the problems came from here. I still prefer a straight protein powder fluff, but I will continue experimenting. Even with the semi-failure it tasted good, just not as fluffy as it normally is.
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    A bit of reading and experimenting and I think that this is a pretty good list of general tips for not having fluff failure.
    Also, an egg based technique should work with just about any protein powder as long as it is folded in

List of Items:
    • Salt & white vinegar
    • Eggs
    • Spatula

1. Utilize a stainless steel bowl that is clean and dry. Additional liquids or other items can reduce the fluff. IE Stainless steel is preferable as fat residues will reduce or prevent fluffing.

2. As indicated above, fat reduces the volume of your fluff. With this in mind minimize the use of egg yolks or other sources of fat. If you opt for a higher fat content you can still freeze the mixture for a different denser texture (not fluffy).

3. Start off with cold eggs as they are easiest to separate. To separate the egg, crack and hold the shell halves over a bowl. Transfer the yolk back and forth between the shell halves allowing the white to fall into the bowl. Transfer the yolk to another bowl.

4. After separating, allow the egg whites to warm to room temperature as this will result in a greater volume of fluff. Double containers with warm water can be used to speed up this process.

5. Additives can be utilized to stabilize your fluff. Be sure not to add sugars at the start as it can double the amount of time to fluff the egg whites.

6. Stabilizers like Cream of tartar, xanthan gum, salt or acids like lemon juice or white white vinegar can be utilized. Also, guar gum adds a bit of extra smoothness and stability.

This process seems to fluff consistently (I will use the more common additives salt & vinegar):
    3. Add stabilizers if desired (xanthan gum, guar gum), beat for an additional 2 min at medium speed
    If the eggs do not start to fluff up add a pinch of additional salt and a drop of vinegar.

If you are concerned about salmonella, utilize pasteurized egg white (Egg Beaters?)

So... I tried this and it was a complete failure. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Here's what I used:

2 egg whites, room temperature
    a pinch of salt in the beginning
    a pinch of cream of tarter
    a drop or two of lemon juice

I beat that stuff in the order listed. It fluffed up a bit, which was nice. Then I folded in 1 scoop of ON double rich chocolate.

The protein powder deflated the egg whites, and got all chunky and gross looking. Thinking I could fix it, I tried whipping it back up and now it basically looks like my protein shake usually does. Like chocolate milk.

I poured it into a shallow bowl and stuck it in the freezer... we'll see what that does, but I'm not holding my breath.

Please help!! :)
  • rileysowner
    Options

List of Items:
    • Salt & white vinegar
    • Eggs
    • Spatula

So... I tried this and it was a complete failure. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Here's what I used:

2 egg whites, room temperature
    a pinch of salt in the beginning
    a pinch of cream of tarter
    a drop or two of lemon juice

I beat that stuff in the order listed. It fluffed up a bit, which was nice. Then I folded in 1 scoop of ON double rich chocolate.

The protein powder deflated the egg whites, and got all chunky and gross looking. Thinking I could fix it, I tried whipping it back up and now it basically looks like my protein shake usually does. Like chocolate milk.

I poured it into a shallow bowl and stuck it in the freezer... we'll see what that does, but I'm not holding my breath.

Please help!! :)

You need something frozen in there like ice chips, frozen fruit, whatever. Without that it will not fluff. You basically let the fruit thaw enough so it can be crushed, but not too much or it won't fluff.
  • ActuarialChef
    Options
    You need something frozen in there like ice chips, frozen fruit, whatever. Without that it will not fluff. You basically let the fruit thaw enough so it can be crushed, but not too much or it won't fluff.

I guess I'm missing something... How is my stand mixer going to mix it up if it's frozen? Wouldn't that require a blender?

Today I tried 1 scoop of ON double rich chocolate, 1/2 cup skim milk, and 1 cup of ice cubes (pre-crushed). I mixed with my KitchenAid mixer for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, the ice had turned into water and it "frothed" a little bit, but as soon as I stopped mixing the bubble deflated and it looked like my normal shake again.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    As I said, you need to partially thaw things or crush the hard frozen one up, but you absolutely need frozen stuff in there. If you look at the recipes they all have that, and every failure I have had was because I let the frozen berries thaw two much. Basically I take them out of the freezer and let them thaw enough that they crush with the beaters of the mixer, no more. If they thaw too much it simply won't work.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Are you mixing on the highest setting?
  • ActuarialChef
    Options

I tried to mix on the highest setting, but even with <1 cup of ingredients in there, everything was splashing out. So I turned it down to 5/6 (out of 10). I've got to get some fresh fruit to freeze (or buy some frozen fruit) and try again.

Would a banana work? (I'm thinking chocolate-covered-banana flavor -- yummm!)
  • rileysowner
    Options

I tried to mix on the highest setting, but even with <1 cup of ingredients in there, everything was splashing out. So I turned it down to 5/6 (out of 10). I've got to get some fresh fruit to freeze (or buy some frozen fruit) and try again.

Would a banana work? (I'm thinking chocolate-covered-banana flavor -- yummm!)

I have not tried banana. BTW, with ice chips, they need to be quite small. I personally don't have a stand mixer, I use a hand one, and only when the fruit is too frozen or the ice chips are too big do I have a problem with that. It almost sounds like you have too much liquid. It should be sort of a mush when you mix in the protein power. Personally, I would suggest before using egg whites in it, you should go with about 200 grams of frozen fruit slightly thawed (so you can crush it manually, about 40 grams of protein powder, and 60-80 ml of water or milk. See how that works.
  • Bubbl3s25
    Options
    Bump