Lower back pain?

Options
Hi everyone,

I just started swimming on a regular basis last month as part of my exercise regimen to get in shape, but I'm developing lower back pain and I'm wondering if it's because of my form. I do mostly freestyle swimming, but I'm still a beginner to this type of swimming, so does anyone know what might cause that?

Thanks!

Replies

• tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I had lower back pain, watched a few youtube videos on form, and now instead of back pain i have soreness in my abs. My back feels great! I think I did strengthen my back muscles but now my abdomen is getting solid and I think I'm using better form.

I swim 1 mile 4x per week.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Just like any exercise your form is important. Make sure you're spine is straight while doing swim strokes, even down into your pelvis. If your pelvis is bent as you do your swim strokes that could maybe cause back pain, at least in me personal experience although I'm not a doctor or anything, just a long time swimmer.

Good luck!
  • kmozymoz
    kmozymoz Posts: 187
    Options
    Thanks! I will pay more attention to those things.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Maybe consider taking a swim class on basic form for basic swim strokes. That way they'll look at you and adjust you if you're swimming crooked and help you get stronger using good form.:happy: