"all pro's" workout

Options
waxon81
waxon81 Posts: 198 Member
its a full body workout that i found on bodybuilding.com. I dont currently have the time to do a 5 day split so am going to see how i go on this routine for a few months. The feedback it gets on bb.com is always positive.

Monday - 100% weight
wednesday - 90% weight
Friday - 80% weight

5 phases ( reps can be tailored to an individual, so either higher or lower ect, i have kept compounds to starting at 5, whereas curls and calf raises start at 7/8 reps))
week 1 - 5 reps
week 2 - 6 reps
week 3 - 7 reps
week four - 8 reps
week five - 9 reps

if at the end of the 5 weeks you can perform all reps, you restart the routine at week one, but add 10% to your original weight

The excercises:
squats
calf raises
overhead press
Pendlay rows
Bench press
barbell arm curls
straight legged deadlift

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite sure how you set the 100 percent?

Are you saying if your 5 rep max of x lift is 200 pounds, on monday you would use 200 pounds?

The progression seems too difficult to nail and you can't workout at those percentages if thats the case.

If your squat is 285x5 and you do that this week, hitting 285x6 the next week, then 285x7 the next week is really fast progression that wouldn't be manageable for long.

But if I'm misunderstanding how the program is set up, let me know.

I like breaking apart routines and figuring out what works and what doesn't
  • waxon81
    Options
    the way it was explained was to start off light. for example. If your using 5 reps as your starting point, your starting weight should be around your 8 rep max weight. You will soon work up to and beyond your original sticking point, but because of the way it progresses in reps, it makes much more sense to start lighter. Im using it for 3 months, so if i start on say... an 80kg squat at five reps, by the end of the 3 months i would be doing 107kgs for 10 reps.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Seems okay. But if you have time for a 3 day per week workout, you could split the body parts up a bit and dedicate more exercises per bodypart than that routine does. I only do 3 gym days a week. I triple set everything. 30-40 min of lifting plus 30 min of cardio.

1) bench / pull ups / lunges. dumbell declines / dumbell rows / jump ups. dumbell inclines / reverse grip pull ups / walking lunges. Then cardio of choice.

2) Squats / dumbell military presses / crunches. Power cleans to overhead press / bicep curls / crunches. Deads / shoulder flys / bicep curls. The light cardio

3) barbell closed grip tricep presses / pushups / crunches. dips / chest flys / standing planks. tricep cables / 1 arm cable chest press / crunches. Then cardio of choice.

In my opinion, your workouts don't work enough of the main body parts and dedicate the same time to the smaller body parts as the main areas. That's not very efficent to me.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    the way it was explained was to start off light. for example. If your using 5 reps as your starting point, your starting weight should be around your 8 rep max weight. You will soon work up to and beyond your original sticking point, but because of the way it progresses in reps, it makes much more sense to start lighter. Im using it for 3 months, so if i start on say... an 80kg squat at five reps, by the end of the 3 months i would be doing 107kgs for 10 reps.

It sounds good in theory but thats a pretty big jump.
    Im not good with kilos, but that looks like a 55-60 pound jump + 5 extra reps. And thats way faster than most people are gonna progress unless just starting out.
    In 3 months, I might take my max squat from 325 to 350, but I wouldn't be able to go from 300x5 to 325x10.
  • waxon81
    Options
    Your right, it seems doubtful that most people could progress at that rate. It is however a beginner's routine, so new starters would more likely experience better progression. I am gonna stick with it though, and then move onto the 'intermediate' routine of the same name. Also, if you cant get all the reps at the end of the phase, you stay at the same weight for the next phase on that particular excercise (I may have misses a few elements whilst typing It up, but it is easily found at bb.com if anybody wants to look into it more in depth). We will see how it goes. Im certainly eating enough, so if this routine is any good, the results should speak for themselves
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    All pros is an excellent routine.
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    All Pro's is a top notch BB'ing program