Introduce yourself!

Options

Replies

• MsTae84
    MsTae84 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm Tae and I have been natural for the second time since 06. I mainly use herbal life shampoo and conditioner but I'm currently looking for something else that will work in my hair. As far as for moisture I use liv because it works well with my hair texture. If anyone knows of any products that works well on curly hair please let me know. Thanks in advance...
  • MsWare926
    MsWare926 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello!

My name is Shawnte, I'm new to MFP and I'm excited to get started on my weight loss journey! I've been natural since 2011, I currently use Miss Jessie's Creme de la Curl for my shampoo and for a deep conditioner I mix together olive oil, honey, mayonnaise, and an avocado. I moisture my hair with Miss Jessie's curly buttercreme or I will just put some olive oil in it for moisture and shine :smile:
  • Zzzawake
    Zzzawake Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Suzette. I am excited about joining you amazing ladies on this journey of loving and taking care of ourselves. I am 55 years young, but seriously I feel a lot younger and look a lot younger. My mind does not connect with my age. I am young at heart, good natured and love to have fun. I have 3 adult children and have been married for 25 years. I have spent the majority of my life as a caregiver for children and adults with disabilities and with an organization that worked with youth and adults to provide training for jobs, food ,clothing,moral and emotional support etc. My heart has always been in caring for others. Although along the way I have forgotten to take care of myself. That is where this begins for me....The encouragement and support would be such a blessing to receive and to give. I would be honored to be a part of this family.
    I am five years natural but I really now am learning to care for my hair. Five years ago I had my last perm. I got tired of paying lots of money on perms just to see my hair become more and more damaged. I then learned about sew in weaves and have actually wore them for the pass five years. My hair grew a lot but I did notice some damage due to keeping them in to long,stress and not properly taking care of my hair. The website curly niki has a treasure of information that has helped me tremendously. My hair looks healthy and is retaining length after just one month of applying many of the techniques shared here.
    I am also trying to lose weight. I want to be healthy. I want to feel good. I am determine to get there and could use any support given. It is not easy but knowing there are others on the same path that are willing to pass on ideas, words of wisdom etc would definitely be embraced and appreciated. Anyway feel like I am rambling. Thank you for letting me be a part of something wonderful.
  • eclectikchic
    eclectikchic Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Kim and I have been on MFP off and on for about two years. Getting focused on my health more. I have been natural for almost four years. I love Shea Moisture products but I do use other products in between. I didn't focus on the nutrition as much because I love my soul food. But, I decided that I needed to change my palate and make a serious life choice. So...here I am. Look forward to chatting with everyone and encouraging one another.
  • Imani9629
    Imani9629 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I live in Las Vegas too and it has literally broken my hair to the point where I had to cut almost all of it off :/ I'm trying to experiment on my hair to make it healthier wht do you recommend?
  • cherrikim
    cherrikim Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    *bump* :-)
  • SalubriousGyrl
    SalubriousGyrl Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I live in Las Vegas too and it has literally broken my hair to the point where I had to cut almost all of it off :/ I'm trying to experiment on my hair to make it healthier wht do you recommend?

Im quessing you flat iron more than once a week? are you relaxed?
  • wpbmommy1
    wpbmommy1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Annette. I went natural around 2008. My staple products are As I Am coconut cowash conditioner, Paul Mitchell original The Conditioner, Tresemme Naturals nourishing conditioner, One and Only Argan Moroccan oil, coconut oil, Samy Big Curls, and Eco-Styler moroccan oil gel. I love all kinds of style. When I'm working out I usually pineapple my hair unless it is already up in a puff.
  • nak1a
    nak1a Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone.
    I'm Nakia from Jersey. My hairstyle of choice is locs. I've been loc'ing and re-loc'in my hair for 13 years. I embarked on a new loc journey in April and now I am on a weight loss journey as well. My locs are in the baby stage but that doesn't discourage me from working out. I would almost always wear a bandana on my head during workouts and I still do. I am glad I found this group and hope to connect with you all and hopefully encourage you guys during your journeys as well as finding inspiration for myself. WE CAN DO THIS Y'ALL!
  • Fabfitgirl5
    Fabfitgirl5 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hello I am Erica and I live in PA now. I moved for ATL and that was a shock to both me and my hair. I am in the northwest corner of PA so nowhere near Philly. I am natural and my last touch up was in Sept of 2011. I had a rather difficult transition, I used braids and weaves and then in November of 2012 I went to a salon in GA that specialized in natural hair and my hair was the bomb for all of 4 months, then I moved to PA. It was growing, healthy, etc. I got to PA and started really trying to get in shape and the center part of my hair to the left is now breaking off. I don't know if I over did it on the protein or not, but I was using Mane and Tale as a conditioner and heard that that could have caused the problem.

Well now, I am doing more protective styles (senagalese twist) so I can get through the summer, gain some lenght and try some natural styles like two strand twist. Wish me luck. The protective styles also allow me to work out with my reuglarity and not worry so much about if I sweat in my head. I will likely wear the protective styles for about three more months before I attempt my natural styles. I also want to wear them until I reach my goal weight then I can do weights and walking to maintain my weight loss.

Products: I went through the product junkie phase, trying everything, spending money like water and to no avail. I am still trying to find what works for me so this is what I am using currently.

use: QP Elasta olive oil and mango buttter products (the moisturizer and the hair butter)
    I also use Shea Moisture conditioner (I am going to get the shampoo soon).

I have the desing essentials for natural hair but I think those products dried my hair out, I washed with the shampoo and conditioner and my hair was so thirsty afterwards it was not even cute!

Well I wish all of you well and I hope to post on here frequently about my weight progress. Also I have a really good page some of you may konw or go to on occasoin for inspariation on you tube. The particular page I like to examine from time to time is by someone named simplyonuique. Her hair journey was awesome and her hair is super beautiful now. She has hair I can relate to so I know my jouney is not in vain. If you haven't already, you should check out her page, growing health hair can be done!

Good luck everyone. I will try to post a pic of my twist.
  • ebaybee4me
    ebaybee4me Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Im Janelle, and I plan to post a picture soon! I just joined the fitness pal today looking for something to help me track what I eat. To my surprise this site is much much more. I generally tend to stuggle through trying to eat right and find time to exercise with no success so I decided to give this a try. In addition to trying to get it together, I also did a BIG CHOP this weekend. I didn't plan on cutting all my hair off, but it did liberate me! I permed my hair after about 8 years of being natural last year and regreted it almost instantly. SO I said I can start to grow with my hair... agian. And really I hope to shrink with my hair lol. But possibly grow spritiually and gain more emotional strength.

Anyhow I look forward to this journey! Good luck to all of you starting today and congrats to those where we are trying to be!
  • celcey
    Options
    I'm Cori from Texas, and I have been natural for 1yr and 1 mth. I am sulfate, petrolium & paraben free also. I TRY to only use natural products, but my go to brand has ben Ion since i am a water baby. My work out of choice is water aerobics. I am 34, very tall and I have no children.
    I joined this site 52 days ago and I have lost 31 lbs. I'm a daily logger and a positive person. I value input and I like to have fun. I do my own hair 99% of the time and I wear coils. I still keep my quick weaves in the closet and I am not afriad to whip them out on special occassions (I don't flat iron, I just use my magic know how to make it look tight). Sometimes I will 2 strand twist my hair, but it is not uncommon for me to just rock a well conditioned 'fro (since I am in the water almost daily).

I stay busy between work and grad school, but feel free to add me if you need a friend.
    LET'S DO THIS DIVAS!
  • lahkeishamarrie
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Keisha and I'm from the Philadelphia metro area (South Jersey). I've been natural for about 7 years now. I've rocked it all from braids to twists, TWA to pretty decent sized afros, to locs. I cut my locs off a few years ago and have just been growing my hair naturally ever since. But I have to admit, all of this twisting and braiding and detangling stuff is starting to wear me out lol, so I definitely see myself going back to locs in the VERY near future!
    I joined the site today and have recommitted myself to the nutrition and fitness goals I set for myself at the beginning of the year. I lost about 12 lbs this year (and, unfortunately, gained about 5 back). But I'm not beating myself up. Those things happen. I didn't expect to NOT hit a few kinks with this weight loss journey, just as with my natural hair journey! As long as I get it together and in the end I improve myself in an effort to meet the goals I've set for myself, I know I'll be JUST DUCKY! :-)
    I wish all of you ladies much success in your journey! And thank you for sharing your success! Very inspiring!! Please feel free to reach out if there's ever anything I can do for you!!
  • mizkej
    mizkej Posts: 7
    Options
    Hello everybody!

My name is KJ, I live in Cleveland, OH. I am transitioning. I have no plans on doing the BC. Currently I am rocking a strawset. I go the the salon every other week. I usually end up with an up do, sometimes flat iron. So there is heat on my hair twice a month at best. I have just started experimenting with hair recipes. I have made the hair gel and also concocted a moisturizer for twist outs or wash and go's.

I have a lot of weight to lose and I am hoping to find encouragement here. This is my lifelong struggle, it keeps knocking me down, but I am back up again!
  • 902sexxi
    902sexxi Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi all! My name is Ally, currently living in FL. I've been natural for 4+ years. I consider myself a flexible natural, I'm not at all rigid in my views about my hair. Sometimes I wear straight but mostly I'm in protective styles.

I've been on MFP for some time, I haven't been consistent though. My goal for this year is to track consistently...even on the days when I eat poorly. I plan on mainly lifting to lose the weight with some cardio.
  • renothedog
    Options
    My name is Sandra, I live in Louisiana. This month on the 21st, I will be 55 years old; decided to go natural about 3 yrs ago....the best thing I ever did. In the beginning with the natural, I would do a 2 strand twist out most of the time; but I have tried it all at least once. I favorite way to wear it is just loose in its natural state or a ponytail.

I joined MyFitnessPal to see exactly what I am putting in my mouth; because I love how it breaks everything down, calories, proteins, carbs, etc.. My goal over the next few months is to record everything; I have a total of 100lbs to lose. So far I am 40lbs down!!!!!

Consistency is my game plan to losing the weight and keeping it off; they say it takes 21 days to form a habit. Therefore, I plan to record in MyFitnessPal and follow my workout regiment for 21 days. Workout regiment is 240 minutes of cardio and 75 mins of weights. Cardio I love, weight training not so much; my doctor recommend I do weight training. It 's for those of us with arthritis.

Consistency, consistency, consistency is going to be my name.
  • QueenyLanae
    QueenyLanae Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm from the DMV area.I'm 25 years old and currently a cosmetology student. I have been fully natural since May 2012 with the exception of hair coloring. I'm too broke to be a product junkie but I do like to experiment. I'm still looking for what works best on my hair, so i don't have many staple products. My hair is in that "in-between" stage. My only go to style is a puff but i've been experimenting with twist outs.

I have been using MFP on and off since July of 2012. I have commitment issues when it come to myself. :( I am back now, hopefully until i reach my goal weight. I am open to any and all help and support. Hopefully along the way I can do the same for someone else.

Current Staple Products: mix of olive, coconut, castor, & grapeseed oils; Paul Mitchell tea tree shampoo (...or GVP version. i have both); Aussie Moist conditioner; Eco Styler Moroccan Argan oil

I wish you all the best.
  • EniBee
    EniBee Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hi from Surrey, in the UK!

So, where do I start??!!! I was natural and chemical free for a number of years, styling with twists, braids and weaves. However, a few years ago, i got tired of protective styling and wanted something different. So, i decided to start leaving my hair out even though I did not really know how to look after my natural hair. So, I experienced sever breakage. April last year, I went to Nigeria on holiday and got my hair braided. Well, we all know what happens when braids are put in too tightly! So, my edges went. I also began daily exercise (30DS, Insanity and running). I had a keratin wash done because I wanted a low maintenance, less hassle routine for my hair and I was promised...told, that my hair would return to its normal state in 3 months. I feel that I should also say that I burnt a patch of my hair off when I was blow drying my hair as the dryer was too hot and too close to my scalp. So, I now have uneven hair all over my head!

Over christmas last, I did a lot of research on natural hair and found so much material on youtube...if only I had done this years ago!!!! Well, since then I have decided to return to my natural state! The only hesitation that I have at the moment is that I will be 47 in a few weeks time and I am thinking...Am I too old to be doing this?

Anyway, I put my hair back in twists with extensions on the 31st of January and I am going to leave them in until end of March (hopefully). My Hair Care Regim is:

I wash my hair weekly with conditioner (Treseme) Once this bottle has finished, I will swtich to Treseme Natural and see how it takes to my hair.
    I moisturise my hair almost daily with my spray bottle which contains (mainly boiled water, 2 table spoons of oilve oil and 2 table spoons of cantu shea butter).
    I oil my scalp every two days with my oil mixture (castor oil, oilive oil, vitamin E oil, almond oil, coconut oil and tree tea oil).
    I use castor oil for my edges which needs to regrow
    and finally, I use cantu shea butter as a hair cream.

I sleep with a satin cap.

Well, my twists are no longer tight and i am hoping that this is due to hair growth as opposed to my twists loosening during the co washing process! I must say that I have not had any bad losses of any twists so far. Usually by this stage, the plaits tend to fall off my head from the roots, removing my hair with it. The two that have fallen off so far actually came off leaving my hair intact on my head!

I hope that this introduction is not too long and I apologise if you think otherwise! Looking foward to being active in this group!!!
  • spr98sigma
    Options
    Happy Sunday Morning. My name is Kimberly and I am almost 2 years natural. As for products right now this is what I do. Nothing! I see my hair stylist every two weeks and use the blow dryer and flat iron outside of that. I am reading to stop flat ironing my hair every other morning. I work out before work- 5:00a.m. and then come home and blow dry and ponytail or blow dry and flat iron if I have a meeting that day. I get my hair washed at the salon on Thursday and I don't work out again until the following monday.. So I only get one weekend of "Cute" hair.

So i am really excited to have discovered this blog and looking forward to reading different strategies to managing hair and sweat.

2014 look good year.
  • LoLo330ksu
    Options
    Hi my name is Lauren I've been on my health hair journey for almost 3 years now and my hair is way healthier than in the past. I think my hair is kind of tired of my same old regiment and I need some help on what to do next. I am relaxed and stretch my relaxers 6 months. Experiencing some shedding, but I thinks that's b/c of winter and my hair normal process. Any info on easy protective styles would be greatly appreciated. Thanks