Medication - What do you take for Fibro?

Options
1235»

Replies

• stephms82
    stephms82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I take Tramodol, Trazodone, and Topamax. I have Flexeril for the worst days.

I also use Topricin it is an OTC cream it has been AMAZING! I also found at Walgreens&CVS, a Homeopathic dissolving tablet.

http://www.topricin.com/

http://www.thereliefproducts.com/fibromyalgia-relief/
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I take Tramodol, Trazodone, and Topamax. I have Flexeril for the worst days.

I also use Topricin it is an OTC cream it has been AMAZING! I also found at Walgreens&CVS, a Homeopathic dissolving tablet.

http://www.topricin.com/

http://www.thereliefproducts.com/fibromyalgia-relief/

There's no information as to what is in the Topricin... is it an Arnica rub? I don't go for stuff when there is no ingredient info at all on their site, even natural products need to have some sort of list.
  • Thezestiest
    Thezestiest Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've taken:

Cymbalta: Didn't work, caused extreme nausea

Savella: Same as Cymbalta

Topomax: Really weird crawling skin sensations, and other overall weirdness - no help with pain

Gabapentin: Helped at first, but when I got up to 3 doses a day I was sleeping ALL the time...and after awhile it seemed to quit helping the pain.

Hydrocodone 10mg (I take this occasionally): Works well, but makes me nauseous and gives me a hangover. The ONLY thing that works for the spinal pain.

Cyclobenzaprine (Flexiril - take occasionally): Works well for muscle spasms and helps with sleep.

Trazodone: No help with pain.

Lyrica (currently taking): Has helped the most with pain. Does not get rid of all of it, however. I sleep a lot, like with the Gabapentin, but the sleepiness is a bit less with Lyrica.
  • ddkphotos
    ddkphotos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Ok well not sleeping and found this thread. Just ordered 3 month supply of Fibro Response... Will get it July 10th. Fingers crossed.
    So far on meloxicam. 7.5 mg twice a day... With some extra tylenol when needed...
    Tylenol nighttime body pain to sleep...
    Massage once a week and heating pad
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Ok well not sleeping and found this thread. Just ordered 3 month supply of Fibro Response... Will get it July 10th. Fingers crossed.
    So far on meloxicam. 7.5 mg twice a day... With some extra tylenol when needed...

What's in Fibro Response??
  • Beadzie
    Beadzie Posts: 3
    Options
    We have yet to find something that works consistently. I feel the need to say that all of you taking OTC pain relievers need to be EXTREMELY careful -- I have cirrhosis of the liver from a genetic disorder and any of those meds can put me in the hospital. Back in the day, they used to say you could take up to 8 Tylenol per day - now they recommend no more than 6. Once your liver is damaged, it's forever. And they are very choosy about who can and cannot have a transplant - which generally only gives you 2 - 5 years if the transplant is successful.

That being said, Lyrica was the worst thing that ever happened to me! After taking it for less than a week, I left my house to go to the grocery store to pick up a few things. I got about 20 blocks from my house and couldn't remember where I was going. I pulled into a parking lot to turn around, and I realized that I didn't remember how to get home! I had to call my husband to come lead me back to the house. I wouldn't drive for about 6 months after that episode.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    We have yet to find something that works consistently. I feel the need to say that all of you taking OTC pain relievers need to be EXTREMELY careful -- I have cirrhosis of the liver from a genetic disorder and any of those meds can put me in the hospital. Back in the day, they used to say you could take up to 8 Tylenol per day - now they recommend no more than 6. Once your liver is damaged, it's forever. And they are very choosy about who can and cannot have a transplant - which generally only gives you 2 - 5 years if the transplant is successful.

True enough!! Continuous use of Aceteminophen/Paracetamol for pain can be very dangerous. I do use only extra strength, BUT I do not use more than one dose in a row. Total of 4 doses with extra time in between during a bad week. I just pick my worse times for pain, generally a dose before I go to bed so that I can sleep easier and recover better. My brother-in-law has a damaged liver from Hepatitis (I don't know which hep) and he is hoping for a transplant possibly, but who knows.
  • ddkphotos
    Options
    The person who started the thread recommended it...

What's in Fibro Response??
  • Thezestiest
    Thezestiest Posts: 37 Member
    Options

That being said, Lyrica was the worst thing that ever happened to me! After taking it for less than a week, I left my house to go to the grocery store to pick up a few things. I got about 20 blocks from my house and couldn't remember where I was going. I pulled into a parking lot to turn around, and I realized that I didn't remember how to get home! I had to call my husband to come lead me back to the house. I wouldn't drive for about 6 months after that episode.

Yeah, I only take Aleve every now and then - no tylenol really (except what's in the hydrocodone, but i only take it when I really need it because I'm afraid of addiction and that my doc won't refill it).

That's crazy that Lyrica did that to you! It's been the ONLY thing that has worked for me. Gabapentin made me feel very zombie-ish though...

It just shows how different each person reacts to medications. There is no substance that works for EVERYONE.
  • gavians
    gavians Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The primary ingredients in FibroResponse are Malic Acid & Magnesium. I started taking these on their own and noticed the imrprovement. But it is important to get the balance right. Some research turned up FibroResponse which has it already amongst other things.

I still swear by this stuff (I have nothing to do with them besides being a happy customer). I turned my sister on this who was diagnosed with MS. She started it and feels so much better. I don't think it helped the MS but I think she also has fibro which symptoms were masked or overridden by the MS.

From their website:
    http://www.sourcenaturals.com/products/GP1116

Black Pepper Fruit Extract (95% piperine) (Bioperine®) 3 mg
    Calories 10
    Total Carbohydrate 2 g 1%
    Vitamin A (as beta-carotene) 5,000 IU 100%
    Vitamin C (from ascorbic acid & magnesium ascorbate) 50 mg 83%
    Vitamin D-3 (as cholecalciferol) 200 IU 50%
    Thiamin (vitamin B-1) 30 mg 2,000%
    Riboflavin (vitamin B-2) 30 mg 1,764%
    Niacin 37.5 mg & Niacinamide 12.5 mg 50 mg 250%
    Vitamin B-6 (as pyridoxine HCl) 40 mg 2,000%
    Folate (as folic acid) 200 mcg 50%
    Pantothenic Acid (as calcium D-pantothenate) 50 mg 500%
    Magnesium (as magnesium malate, oxide & ascorbate) 300 mg 75%
    Zinc (as zinc citrate & monomethionine [OptiZinc®]) 15 mg 100%
    Selenium (as L-selenomethionine & sodium selenite) 100 mcg 143%
    Copper (as copper sebacate) 1 mg 50%
    Manganese (as manganese citrate) 12 mg 600%
    Chromium (as chromium polynicotinate [ChromeMate®]) 100 mcg 83%
    Molybdenum (as molybdenum chelate) 90 mcg 120%
    Sodium 10 mg 1%
    Malic Acid (as malic acid & magnesium malate) 1.2 g
    MSM (methylsulfonylmethane [OptiMSM®]) 1.12 g
    Hops Cone Extract (Perluxan™) yielding 60 mg Humulex™ alpha- and iso- alpha-acids 200 mg
    GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) 150 mg
    N-Acetyl Cysteine 75 mg
    Silymarins (from milk thistle seed extract) 70 mg
    Ginkgo Leaf Extract (24% flavone glycosides & 6% terpene lactones)) 60 mg
    Dandelion Root Extract 50 mg
    Dandelion Root 50 mg
    alpha-Lipoic Acid 50 mg
    Kudzu Root Extract 15 mg
    Astragalus Extract 15 mg
    Ginger Root 15 mg
    Skullcap Aerial Parts 15 mg
    Cassia Bark (cinnamomum aromaticum) 15 mg
    Coenzyme Q10 (ubiquinone) 15 mg
    Licorice Root Extract 10 mg
  • ddkphotos
    Options
    I started Fibro-Response 2 weeks ago and I am OFF my anti-inflammatories! This natural supplement is doing as good a job if not better than the prescription!!!! I am so glad I saw your recommendation here! Thanks so much!
    Diane

Malic Acid
    I read about Malic Acid for fibro and started a couple years ago. It was amazing how much better I felt. But the problem with just Malic Acid it seems like you need the correct coctail along with it to get the best benefit.

Fibro-Response
    Now I am on Fibro-Response (OTC - Amazon.com) and seems to be the best thing I have tried. It contains Malic Acid and other ingredients with just the right "multi-vitamin" to help with the symptoms. They are monster and nasty pills and I take four every morning. But believe you me, I know if I forget by the end of the day. I still get sharp pains occasionally but it really helps with the long grinding aching feeling I would feel all day.

Sometimes I feel like I should get stock or a paycheck for Source Naturals. But nothing has helped me like Fibro-Response has without any noticeable side effects or prescription. Check out the reviews on amazon.com: http://amzn.com/B000GFSVJQ
  • Kaelakcr
    Kaelakcr Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I've taken:

Cymbalta: Didn't work, caused extreme nausea

Savella: Same as Cymbalta

Topomax: Really weird crawling skin sensations, and other overall weirdness - no help with pain

Gabapentin: Helped at first, but when I got up to 3 doses a day I was sleeping ALL the time...and after awhile it seemed to quit helping the pain.

Hydrocodone 10mg (I take this occasionally): Works well, but makes me nauseous and gives me a hangover. The ONLY thing that works for the spinal pain.

Cyclobenzaprine (Flexiril - take occasionally): Works well for muscle spasms and helps with sleep.

Trazodone: No help with pain.

Lyrica (currently taking): Has helped the most with pain. Does not get rid of all of it, however. I sleep a lot, like with the Gabapentin, but the sleepiness is a bit less with Lyrica.

Cymbalta made me feel like my brain was short circuiting and I couldn't eat or sleep for days after taking a single dose. It was AWFUL.

Savella has caused me terrible insomnia and nausea for about two months, but after that it faded and has been a really helpful medication. If you get desperate and want to try it again, maybe consider fighting through the side effects. SNRIs seem to always cause more issues for me than other meds. They ALWAYS give me nausea and insomnia.

Gabapentin made me feel like Sleeping Beauty, and it never seemed to get better. No thank you!

Lyrica has been my saving grace, but the big side effect is weight gain for me. :( It's a wonderful med but I've gained 15 pounds without overeating or changing my exercise habits. Oh well, that's why I'm here.
  • Kaelakcr
    Kaelakcr Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I take Lyrica (weight gain caused by this med, but it's too helpful to quit) which has helped reduce the severity and frequency of flares. It also helps with allodynia (that overly-sensitive skin). It helps sleep but causes daytime drowsiness for a while. That seems to go away though. I did a half dose in the morning and a full dose at night for a long time so I could get used to the med.

Savella: the hardest med I've ever had to deal with. The initial side effects are unreal. Nausea, brain zaps, insomnia like you wouldn't believe, anxiety...but it helps with pain and mood.

Valium: I take it at night and my doctor will double my amount for flared-up months. It helps me deal with the pain.

Pristiq: A very easily-tolerated antidepressant. That's why they chose it for me. Little to no side effects

Methocarbamol: muscle-relaxer. Also helps with sleep. Sometimes.
  • jaimekbee1219
    jaimekbee1219 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I take Elavil - it's an antidepressant. My doc gave it to me to help me sleep.

I'm still in the process of officially be diagnosed. I went to my husband's GP for a physical/blood work for the the first time in ten years. I told her about my migraines and inability to sleep through the night. I typically wake up 2-6 times. I didn't have any of the points that are typically painful for people with fibromyalgia, but she is pretty convinced it's what I have. I started taking the meds in May and I feel like entirely new person. I actually have ENERGY for the first time in years. I have a physically demanding job working with kids with autism/behavior issues so I always assumed my lethargy and achiness were due to that. I didn't realize that it could be connected to my lack of restorative sleep (as my doc put it) until I started feeling better. I keep saying to my husband that I didn't realize how horrible I felt until I started feeling better. This week was a bad week though - only my second one since May - but it's still not as bad as it used to be. And I know it's because it was a week with erratic sleep patterns due to evening plans and early mornings.

I'm still learning about this so everyone's posts have been really interesting and informative. It seems like it is so different for everyone.

Edited because my laptop's mouse is oddly placed and I ended up posting halfway through a sentence...