Do I have to give up hummus?

Options
RonneyKay
RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
When I looked up the carbs on this its soooo high:(

Do I have to give it up? or are there any ways to make it less carby? I make mine home made, no tahini, I use chick peas, jalepeno, cilantro and garlic.

Thanks!
Ronney

Replies

• suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I think you need to change your ingredients. Make it with soybeans and it becomes more low carb. I did a quick search for low carb hummus and that's what I found. Bet you can find a recipe that appeals to you!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    How much are you having? There's about 5g of carbs in two tablespoons...I like to mix roasted red pepper hummus with fat free sour cream(2g carbs).
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    see??? This is why this site is so hummus. I was in such a panic, LOL I didn't think to google for a recipe. Definitely gonna try the soybeans:) yay for hummus!

tippicanoe: I have about 1/2 a cup and use red pepper for dipping. I eat this as a meal, not a snack. I LOVE hummus.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I make my own hummus.. no tahini though (cant stand sesame in that manner)... I only use maybe two tablespoons at a time because of the carb issue with the chickpeas theirself.. but it really does make a GREAT spread for my Joseph's Low carb pita bread, load up some vegetables, a thin slice of prosciutto (love that salty goodness!) and what a great sandwich wrap!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    This isnt the same as Hummus but has a similar nutty garlicky, creamy flavour- but there are no chickpeas (Garbanzo) and only about 10g carbs for this whole recipe (which would make 4 servings)

50g (1/2 cup) walnuts (toasted in a dry pan for 2 mins)
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 tbsp evoo
    2 tbsp plain full fat cream cheese
    2 tsp lemon juice
    ground black pepper- pinch

Blitz everything together in a food processor.

If mixture is too thick, thin down with oil, water or full fat plain greek yoghurt (add the extra carbs).