Anything at all

Options
2»

Replies

• andshrinking
    andshrinking Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I hate to point this out - and I'm not being critical, but andshrinking's calculation is based on percentage of body WEIGHT lost, NOT percentage of body FAT lost.

Body fat % IS much more difficult to calculate. But, here is ONE website (there are several) which has boxes you can fill in to determine what your body fat % is (now) - and then again as the challenge goes on to measure progress:

http://www.linear-software.com/online.html

It is really hard to calculate, I wouldnt even trust a website to do it, that's why I went with the body weight calculation
    But if someone loses more than 10 pounds it cant really be blamed on water weight so most of it should be fat, unless you lost an arm or something... which would suck.

I hope i didn't accidentally give anyone the impression it would be a body fat loss challenge, i just cant measure that
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,980 Member
    Options
    I don't think you left that impression, andshrinking....

It's just that your response (up above thread about 7 or 8 posts) was to someone who was wondering, specifically, about body fat % loss, that's all.

I agree with you, 100%, that body fat is challenging to calculate. But, I would also hope you would agree that losing weight might not mean losing body fat....a LOT of muscle is lost when losing weight.

So, you might be 10 lbs. lighter, but your body fat composition might not have changed much, if at all, because you've lost mostly muscle.
  • deftanker
    deftanker Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have one of those handy dandy thingy mebobs that measures it but I seriously take it with a large graind of low sodium salt. It gives me a progress though. If I am losing weight and working out the % DOES go down but I put it in the + or - a few % zone.

I want to reiterate that the weight loss percentage is the right way to go for the challenge, I was voicing my opinion that it could suck for those gaining muscle :)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,980 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do not think I will win this *challenge*, because I am trying to lose body fat %. But, being a part of a *challenge* group remains very helpful, because it helps (me) with ACCOUNTABILITY!

I'm very keen to see who will be the *winner* based on weight loss percentage - always fun to follow along!
  • deftanker
    deftanker Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    We could all be winners!!!
  • my plan is to be consistent.

weekends cannot be my free-for-all, it undermines the hard work i will do M-F.

eat within my MFP constraints and go to the gym (even when i just want to go straight home from work) 4 times a week.

instead of rewarding for long hard weeks with brunches and milkshakes, i can reward with things i need like rest and new shoes!
  • Tianzi
    Tianzi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    That's a good one!!!! Rest and shoes are def going to be the top of my list :)
    my plan is to be consistent.

weekends cannot be my free-for-all, it undermines the hard work i will do M-F.

eat within my MFP constraints and go to the gym (even when i just want to go straight home from work) 4 times a week.

instead of rewarding for long hard weeks with brunches and milkshakes, i can reward with things i need like rest and new shoes!
  • ahoml10
    Options
    I am interested in the hip hop abs! That sounds fun!