To Run or Not To Run: Here's the Question

Options
toddlyons
toddlyons Posts: 73 Member
For the record, what's your opinion on this article?
Dangerous Workout Fads
America's Scariest Fitness Trends
These three popular approaches to exercise could just be bad ideas

(Read Trend #2)

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/scariest-fitness-trends?cm_mmc=DDNL-_-766240-_-12302011-_-ipad

Granted it's in Men's Health, but the opinion is from a female triathlete, so I think this is valuable for all of us to consider and discuss.

Replies

• prettypooks
    prettypooks Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think this says it all...

"But probably more people have suffered ankle, knee, and hip injuries because they weren’t PREPARED for the stress that training for the event put on their bodies."

Prepared being the key word.

As both a former athlete, and someone who trained without running for nearly a year before engaging in the sport, I feel like I have that base. If I'm feeling pain or stress in my ankles, knees and hips, I slow down or stop completely. I've been able to run 3-5 times a week without any significant pain.

I think that people can do anything... Box jump, run, whatever... But you have to be seriously in tune with your body, listen to the signals it's giving you, and know when it's telling you to slow down or stop.

Mind you, I don't want to run to lose weight. I want to lose weight so I can run.
  • prettypooks
    prettypooks Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The other thing I wanted to say (but forgot) is that you have to start slow. Marathon training to lose weight just doesn't make sense. The runs are too long, and it's too much stress on joints that aren't used to it. When I first started running, my pace was really quite slow. Barely even considered running. Right now, I jog at about a 12 minute mile, which is very beginner. I'm working slowly to improve that, and that speed will also come as I lose more weight, and as I add more distance to my training.

The Point: Going from zero to marathon training is not a good idea. Building up slowly can be, if you're willing to put in the work.
  • pfeiferfit
    pfeiferfit Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight before starting my massive training - BUT that said, I'm going back to roller derby Tuesday. And that's EXTREME training. At least somewhat... Yup. It's extreme... Wait for it- I had a point... I think. I'm really trying to drop pounds before doing MAJOR training, but my body's used to roller derby, and it's good for endurance training.

I have to get past the mental block of being a marathon runner (by registering for my first 5k...) ;) but one day, I'd like to at least be in the 10K category. Or the 1/2 marathon. Little by little.

I think it's all about gradual increase.