TMI - My Urine is different?

Options
RonneyKay
RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
Hello Everyone,

So I am sorry if this sounds weird, but since I've been eating lower carb (under 20/day) which isn't for very long, my Urine is very dark and smells weird. Is this a normal phase? will it go away?

I always drink my water. So me being hydrated isn't a problem. I have a bottle in my hand from the time I wake up to the time I go to sleep, and on hiking days I definitely drink more.

So, just wondering how long this lasts? or if its normal? My doc didn't mention about this.

Thanks!
Ronney

oh and PS sorry if this is TMI

Replies

• Cindy68164
    Cindy68164 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Mine changed a little too. I need to drink more water, definately. I was thinking mine came from the vitamins the weight loss center has me taking. Could be the higher protein intake too.

I don't really know... but your not alone!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Not TMI at all!

First morning evacuation is concentrated urine... lets face it: unless you are sleep walking and capable of going to the bathroom while in REM... you arent going anywhere unless you are like me who wakes up in the middle of the night because my bladder is kicking my *kitten* "DAMNIT WOMAN TIME TO GO PEE ALREADY!" LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Throughout the day, if you dont traditionally have to use the bathroom as much, you will tend to have a darker color, perhaps a little stronger in scent.. again, simply because its concentrated.

However, lets not totally ignore the fact that, you have made nutritionally-speaking, food related changes... so your body is more than likely adjusting.

Keep this in the back of your mind though - you can easily check your urine at home... most pharmacies will sell Urine dip sticks over the counter... you can check your counts that way....

You may find you are in Ketosis: a process of fat metabolism. Fats are converted into energy by the body through healthier food options, exercise and proper hydration....

Keep your physician up to date.... and if your doctor feels its necessary to be seen... go for a visit... and let your doctor talk things with you....
  • cramernh
    Options
    Mind you.. if you are taking certain medications and over the counter vitamins.. some of them can actually change the color of your urine...

Super B Complex- heheheh, almost nuclear yellow/orange... especially first thing in the morning! LOL!!!!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I am a low carber and noticed this as well at first, and i think it has to do with how much asperagus I was eating! I limit it to nomore than one serving a day, and as long as i drink my water, back to normal. The really really dark green veggies can do that, if you eat them in excess, like spinach, etc.

Also if your taking vitamins.
  • cramernh
    Options
    I am a low carber and noticed this as well at first, and i think it has to do with how much asperagus I was eating!

So quoted, the "Austin Powers Syndrome" LOL!!!!

Here is some interesting reading on Asparagus:

Chemistry

Asparagus foliage turns bright yellow in autumnCertain compounds in asparagus are metabolized, giving urine a distinctive smell due to various sulfur-containing degradation products, including various thiols, thioesters, and ammonia.[44]

Some[45] of the volatile organic compounds responsible for the smell are:[46][47]

methanethiol
    dimethyl sulfide
    dimethyl disulfide
    bis(methylthio)methane
    dimethyl sulfoxide
    dimethyl sulfone
    Subjectively, the first two are the most pungent, while the last two (sulfur-oxidized) give a sweet aroma. A mixture of these compounds form a "reconstituted asparagus urine" odor. This was first investigated in 1891 by Marceli Nencki, who attributed the smell to methanethiol.[48] These compounds originate in the asparagus as asparagusic acid and its derivatives, as these are the only sulfur-containing compounds unique to asparagus. As these are more present in young asparagus, this accords with the observation that the smell is more pronounced after eating young asparagus. The biological mechanism for the production of these compounds is less clear.[citation needed]

The onset of the asparagus urine smell is remarkably rapid. It has been estimated to start 15 to 30 minutes after ingestion.[49][50]
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten any aspargagus?? LOL that is why I was posting on here, because everything I have researched talked about asparagus... I guess I should have mentioned that in my original post.
  • cramernh
    Options
    I haven't eaten any aspargagus?? LOL that is why I was posting on here, because everything I have researched talked about asparagus... I guess I should have mentioned that in my original post.

No one stated that you were eating asparagus.. someone else did.. and I had posted a blurb on asparagus just as an example to someone else's post.

Speaking for myself...my previous replies to you applies to your thread. 8-)
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    when I was in ketosis, my urine did change color a bit, and smell kinda like ammonia.