Phase 1

Options
I was a couple of weeks into this Phase before I hurt my back with an irritated disc (ironic, eh?). It was certainly challenging working out the exercises, and I look forward to restarting the program when my physio gives me the all-clear, although I'm not looking forward to the inverted rows.

Replies

• nightwyrm
    Options
    Yay, got the all-clear from my physio so back into it! Best part was that she looked over my NROL4A logs and said the exercises all looked quite good -- a professional endorsement that I'm doing something.

Hit the gym yesterday afternoon, basically restarting Phase 1 again -- 10kg dumbbells for the split squats and 30kg barbell for the Romanian deadlifts. All seemed to go pretty easily so will up the ante for the next Workout A.

Only problems:
    - I think I had too high a step for the split squats as they felt too easy. Will find a lower one next time and see how that goes.
    - Inverted rows don't seem to get any easier. I only managed to choke out 10 on my last set (barely).
  • nightwyrm
    Options
    Workout B on Sunday... a lot of DOMS discomfort resulting from the overhead squats (Olympic bar, no weights) and the db single-leg Romanian deadlifts (10kg db).

Apart from trying to stay balanced, I find the Romanians feel really easy, but my legs the next few days are certainly feeling it!

Hoping I've got my overhead squat technique correct, though I've read that everyone's a bit shaky at the start. Could only manage 10 reps per set and that was really hard going -- most of the stress seemed to be in the mid-back, which I hope is right. The DOMS in the mid-back is interesting to say the least. Probably should've gone a bit lighter... hindsight's a wonderful thing.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I am in this Phase currently. I have done the workouts each 4 times now. Started beginning of January when my new gym opened. My next workout is Workout A on Sunday. :smile:
  • nightwyrm
    Options
    Workout B again yesterday. Finding it a bit easier than last time, though the overhead squats (Olympic bar, no weights) is still one hell of a challenge.

Not feeling any real challenge from the cable kneeling pulldown. Bumped it up to 150lbs (68kg), but still didn't feel any real exertion. Think I need to try a different cable machine to what I've been using. Hmm.
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Workout B again yesterday.

Not feeling any real challenge from the cable kneeling pulldown.

Enjoying the ab work of B, there's something about those elevated planks!

I've been using elastic bands for the pulldowns, and I cannot configure my system for much of a challenge either. I'll add a third band next week, and if it still does not work I'll switch to one arm rows.
  • snoopy7501
    snoopy7501 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I started this program last week, so I'm on my second week of phase 1. I've already found out that I can't do a simple plank for a whole 60 seconds, so I'm doing the 45-degree version to start. And after my B workout last week, my obliques were actually sore, which was a completely new feeling!

And the single-leg romanian deadlifts..... WTH? I'm not sure I'm doing it right. I'm leaning over with the dumbbell in one hand, and then lowering myself with my one leg that's on the ground. Is that right?

Looking forward to seeing great changes with this program. Anyone else still doing it? What kind of results are you seeing?
  • allikat819
    allikat819 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm just finishing up NROL4W and getting ready to move on with this program. Anyone still around?
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Yep, I check in on occasion.

I moved on to Supercharged, but still use a lot of the ab work from NROL4A. There's nothing like that feeling of a strong core, and it isn't stressed in the other books.

It will give you a great foundation to build from.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Looks like it's been awhile since anyone has been on here, but if anyone is currently doing or looking to start Abs, please post! I finished NROLFW on March 1st and I should have the Abs book read by the end of the week. Looking forward to starting a new program next week!