Motivation

Options
vespaberrie
vespaberrie Posts: 86 Member
How do you stay motivated? What makes you get up off your *kitten* and move?
I'm having the hardest time staying active. The days I work, I have no problem going to the gym, and that's after a 12 hour shift. It's also easier for me to stick to my diet on work days. But on my days off, all I want to do is lay on the couch, no engery, no motivation, nothing! I'm on the last day of a 3 day weekend, and havent stepped foot into the gym. I try not to be too hard on myself, but being lazy has gotten me to this weight int he first place.

Does anyone else have a hard time staying motivated?
How do you do it, how do you keep moving?

Replies

• Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Haveyou tried finding a couple of people to work out with? It helps me knowing that I am responsible for keeping others motivated. After a while, it becomes second nature and you go to the gym regardless of who's going with you.
  • Pennhotmom
    Pennhotmom Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Right now I have a few people who have had/planning to get bariatric surgery. At the end of the day it's about being healthy, but seeing them go that way has actually motivated me to do this and keep it off. Also, seeing my mom in pain from walking. Yes otherwise healthy people can eventually get sick and get the ailments that she has, but at 34 I want to prevent as many as I can and enjoy as much of my time as I can sans pain. I believe that getting fit will do that.

If you mean day to day how do I stay motivated, I really do have two bikinis in my closet. I am going to get in to. They aren't even the cutest, just something I found at the shore when I looked around and realized I was the only one in a one piece.

Also, my dr. prescribed bp medicine for me. I am not amused. I want off of it asap. So my plan is to exercise and eat right to see if I can get my heart and blood on board. Even if I have to continue to take meds, I don't want to have it increased.

Lastly I don't have any friends who I work out with , but like Six said I do think that I could benefit from that. And since I need to improve my networking skills. Once I am proficient on using the machines at the gym and get some sort of plan, I am going to try and get a gym buddy. Just someone to work out with/build up accountability.
  • vespaberrie
    vespaberrie Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies.
    I've tried of finding someone to workout with, but it's difficult because of my work hours, and irregular schedule. I dont have the ability to say " lets meet every MWF at 6pm" I've thought about mixing it up, and trying bootcamps or dance classes, but again these require regualarity.

I know it sounds like I'm making excuses. I have no problem leaving work & going straight to the gym, I do it all the time. However, I only work 3-4 days a week. It's the days I don't work that I'm having trouble with.
  • Melissa12012
    Options
    Vespa, do you have children, by chance? I have found they can be annoying little reminders :) Seriously, they can be asked to remind you and will! Get your mom to call and bug you on the weekend. Ask a neighbor if she wants to walk on Saturdays or Sundays.
  • shavonne
    shavonne Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don’t have anyone to workout with either but a good friend and I do daily workout check-ins via text or email and it really does the trick, we’ve been at it consistently for almost 6 months now.

The days that you are home it may be a good idea to get your workouts done early to get them out of the way – this is what I have to do on the weekends. Also find a workout/activity that you like to do – for instance when I really don’t feel like working out I’ll do Turbo Jam or Just Dance 3 for the Wii – they both burn major calories and are fun. I have to constantly remind myself that I must put in the work to reach my goals - failure is not an option :)
  • rochiero
    Options
    I must admit to having issues with motivation at times but I keep thinking about wanting to be a better me. I havent weighed myself yet. I am relativiely new to this round of loosing weight and I do understand the difficulty with working a twelve hour shift and somedays school along with being a full time mommy. I just incorporate my daughter into my workout by doing exercises that are kid friendly and effective. I also make sure Im doing activity that I enjoy. Its hard to keep up with something that your not enjoying. Hope that helped:) Good Luck!
  • rochiero
    Options
    I have a question for you Shavonne? Do you like the Turbo Jam workout. I was wondering if it was any good before I purchased it. I have the Shawn T Rockin Body and Zumba which I love but want to switch it up. Please let me know it its a worthy buy.