Just completed my first marathon!

Options
bert16
bert16 Posts: 726 Member
I just wanted to share my excitement; I just got home from Walt Disney World after running my first marathon there (much) earlier this morning. I'm super happy with how things went, so thought this would be a good place to share my little personal victory. :smile:

Replies

• allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    that's awesome!! Congrats! i'm doing the Princess Half next month. How would you say the organization and everything was?
  • bert16
    Options
    I think the organization was great - Disney knows logistics! I had run the half there on marathon weekend several years ago and it was similarly good. Certainly, expect it to be crowded, and I'm guessing you'll have an early race start, also (both the half and the full marathons this past weekend were 5:30 AM starts). If you are staying at a hotel on the monorail, that's a quick and easy way to get to the race start (assuming your race also starts at Epcot, like they did this weekend... not sure); but, if not, they run buses from all the hotels regularly. There are tons of water / Powerade stations and medical stations along the way; plus the characters all come out and cheer for you and pose for photos (if you're not running for time, I suppose). Overall, I think they put together a fantastic event, both times I've run one of their races. The only minor complaints I have are that the walk to the start line from where you get dropped off (which is where the finish line is) is a long one (they say to leave 20 minutes, and with the crowds you're walking with, I think that's about right); and that the crowds themselves require a lot of weaving through people to get ahead (but that's true of all really crowded races). In this case, I actually ran an extra 1/4 mile laterally, just moving around people!

Hope you have a great race - the Princess Half is at the end of next month, isn't it? In any case, have a great time!
  • gorunjogger
    Options
    Congrats!!! Did you do the Goofy Challenge?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • bert16
    Options
    Congrats!!! Did you do the Goofy Challenge?

No - since it was my first time, I decided to stick with the marathon. Maybe next time!
  • bert16
    Options
    Congrats!

Thanks! :-)
  • cynfullcyn
    cynfullcyn Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    that is an awesome accomplishment!!! congratulations! i can't wait for mine!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • bert16
    Options
    that is an awesome accomplishment!!! congratulations! i can't wait for mine!

Just a couple months to go! Hope your training is going well and your ITB issues disappear! :-) Can't wait to hear how it goes.
  • bert16
    Options
    Way to go!

Thanks so much! And you'll be happy to know I heeded your advice... I didn't manage to negative split it, but I held my pace almost constant, so no going out too fast! And I hit my stretch goal of sub-4, so I was super pleased.
  • arc918
    Options
    Way to go!

Thanks so much! And you'll be happy to know I heeded your advice... I didn't manage to negative split it, but I held my pace almost constant, so no going out too fast! And I hit my stretch goal of sub-4, so I was super pleased.

Even better! When is your next race?

As far as recovery, I reject any of this "take a couple weeks off" stuff. I vote for get out and walk (then run). Take an easy (very slow pace) 20 - 30 minute jog on Wed or Thurs. It will hurt (sore muscles) every step of the way, but you will feel a ton better once you are done. Don't try this if you are injured.
  • bert16
    Options
    Way to go!

Even better! When is your next race?

As far as recovery, I reject any of this "take a couple weeks off" stuff. I vote for get out and walk (then run). Take an easy (very slow pace) 20 - 30 minute jog on Wed or Thurs. It will hurt (sore muscles) every step of the way, but you will feel a ton better once you are done. Don't try this if you are injured.

Thanks, arc918! I took off today... tomorrow is back to work, so I was planning to go for a walk tomorrow afternoon/evening if I can fit it in (i.e., I'm not going to set my alarm to do so). Hoping to be jogging by the end of the week, since I'm not feeling terrifically sore right now (and, thankfully, no injuries!). I'm holding onto the railing when walking down the stairs, but other than that, I'm doing OK! I appreciate the tip.
  • arc918
    Options
    I always walk down the stairs backwards, as your quads are usually way more trashed than your hamstrings. My kids always make fun of me.
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    That is awesome :)
  • JasonandMichelle
    Options
    I finished my first two weeks ago yesterday! It wasn't fast, but I finished. I only had two goals, as this was my first.

1: Finish

2: Smile the whole time.

I nailed both of them for a 5:26. Again, I know it wasn't fast, but I had a great time. My wife and I are now planning for one in the fall!