Are there crock pots in korea?

Options
nenamartinez
nenamartinez Posts: 140 Member
Hey guys, I was wondering if you guys know this or not.

Are there hot pots in korea? Aka, crock pots, or slow cookers?

I was just thinking about how convenient it would be for my lifestyle.. but when I've been in the appliance section of the local Lotte Mart, it seems like a lot of electric kettles, toaster ovens, and rice cookers. But I suppose a crock pot might look similar to a rice cooker.. hmm! I should investigate.

Do any of you own a crock pot? Do you have any great recipes using seasonal korean veggies for stews and whatnot?

Replies

• glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Yep, I have a crock pot, but I never use it. I bought it from an Australian girl when she was leaving Korea. Not sure where she got it. Have you searched on gmarket?
  • nenamartinez
    Options
    I actually just searched the local lotte mart, and found one. There may have been 2-- but the other one looked kinda weird to me, not like the slow cookers im used to seeing. so im not sure if it was a slowcooker or not.

ANyway, I picked one up. Pretty excited to use it sometime soon! Haha. Now I just have to find the ingredients necessary to make the stuff i wanna eat.. haha.
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I love crockpot meals, but I never know what I should put in them. Any ideas?
  • nenamartinez
    Options
    I'm actually a pretty awful cook, myself.. I don't have much in my repertoire.

But one thing I know how to cook is easy!

In my family we just call it "salsa chicken". All you need is a far of salsa, a can of cream of mushroom soup ("healthy" version if possible), and chicken breasts. toss them in a slow cooker with some water, I think. Let it cook over the day like.. 8 hours or something. Then eat your delicious chicken! haha! I just found some cream of mushroom soup recently, so, I'm goign to try to make it this week. PRetty exciting!

I'm sure there's some korean soups that would be easy to make in the slowcooker.. but I'll have to get back to you guys on that. haha.
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    OooO the salsa chicken sounds super easy! I left my slow cooker at home though, because I never used it much, I didn't want to send it over here and have it sit around! Do you think there is a way to adapt it like in a stove top pot? Or maybe if I use a rice cooker.....?
  • nenamartinez
    Options
    Hm.. i bet you can do it on the stovetop. At home my mom sometimes puts it all in a shallowish glass dish and bakes it.

But I'm not much of a cooking whiz, so, I can't help you out, haha.

I just got the chicken breasts today. :bigsmile: Gonna toss everything in the slow cooker tomorrow before work.. so excited!!