Can't get my feet flat in downward dog

Options
Whenever I do downward dog pose, My heels won't stay planted. Suggestions?

Replies

• jlira01
    jlira01 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. If I move them in a bit..I can get on the floor, but impacts form. I've noticed that as I warm up, I get farther down. Otherwise, I'd be curious if there are other approaches.
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Would you maybe have tight hamstrings??? My teacher says that we can even bend our knees a bit since the downdog is supposed to be for you shoulder/back, but she teaches alignment. Maybe try to bend your knees a bit so that you can get your feet flat then work from there?????
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I have the tightest hamstrings and lower back ever, so I have accepted that it may be a long time until I can lower my heels to the floor in down dog. There's a good chance it will never happen. But there are other poses which I have a lot of flexibility in already. Everyone has strong and weak poses, and there is nothing wrong with that.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Most people can't. It's usually tight hamstrings, but it can be tight hips. Very few people do the full pose of any pose.

I think of it as a pose the lengthen the spine, stretch the hamstrings (which won't happen as well with the knees bent), invert the upper body, and strengthen the arms and shoulders. Don't worry about getting your heals to the floor, it's just not that important.
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    My knees are bent even with the heels like that. I guess I'm just not that flexible. Hopefully someday. I'd like to be able to do the full pose, but I won't injure myself to make it happen. :)
  • MichinMI
    MichinMI Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It could also be because your body is not proportionate. Have you tried using blocks under each hand? You don't want the pose to be easy but you might find it beneficial.
  • TheGoblinRoad
    Options
    I haven't, but will try soon.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    My problem with downward dog is that I find it by far the strongest yoga pose - except maybe for half a minute in a held squat - that there is. My lower back, hamstrings and calves are all tight, and I have to be careful putting weight on my shoulders because they aren't that great from hunching at my desk job all day. I have no idea how to (or how anyone could) experience this position as a rest - it seems the furthest thing from rest imaginable.

I have tried to assimilate every form tip I have ever been told about this, but it only makes the pose marginally easier.
  • iamvillanueva
    Options
    You might try bringing your feet in closer (towards your hands) and lifting your hips up higher. I can get my feet flat, but I don't usually do it. I just prefer to have them slightly lifted off the floor.

PS: my profile pic is not me, it's the pose I'd love to perfect.
  • sullivann
    sullivann Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Do extra hamstring stretches. I have that same problem. :( Sitting at a computer desk often has made them tighter.

Good news is, just stretch and do it more and you'll see your muscles flex better. :)
  • nikirtehsuxlol
    nikirtehsuxlol Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I would say most people cant get their heels all the way to the mat in downward facing dog. And, I think, if your body isnt prepared for it, you'll do more harm than benefit trying to get them there! You should feel the stretch in the "belly" of the muscle ... not in the knees or hips or anything like that. So I generally tell people to start off the practice with their knees slightly bent (and not knock kneed but parrallel more or less) and as they loosen up, slowly start straigtening the legs and dropping the heels. Wherever you're not struggling, that's probably where you are right now in your yoga journey! Also, if you are trying to get your heels towards the mat, make sure your heels are hidden behind the (maybe) 2nd and 3rd toes and you cant see them poking out from either side of your foot!

edit: also, i think it feels good to "walk your dog" by putting all the weight in one foot (other one bent) and then vice versa. Ahhhhhhhhh
  • Aaloo79
    Aaloo79 Posts: 105
    Options
    I think, its a matter of time and flexibility. I read your post earlier and could not touch floor with my heels in downward dog but today, hurray, i actually managed to do it.

My personal opinion would be stretch a bit but don't overkill yourself. Slowly you might build on flexibility and you might be able to do it.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    It just takes time and practice. I have been doing yoga almost a year now, practicing 3 - 6 times a week, always including downward dog, and my heels are just scraping the mat now. I would consider myself to have fairly tight hamstrings and lower back too.

Keep going and you will get there - just don't push too hard to hurry the process if you want to avoid injury.

Navasana is my current bug bear - struggling to arrange my buttocks let alone anything else!
  • Slimtara
    Slimtara Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have been doing yoga for years and still cant get my feet flat, and trying to ruins my breathing.
    Don't concentrate on where your feet are but where your breath is going, if you cant breathe you are trying too hard.

The stretch should be in the shoulders and spine not your hamstrings; save that for your forward bends. Drop to dynamic cat to get that mobility. Or bend your knees!

Some great flow podcasts to help with your breath at

http://www.morebreathingspace.co.uk

x
  • jeffazi
    jeffazi Posts: 198
    Options
    Take a step forward and that should help. Eventually, if you're patient, you'll get to a point where your feet will get flat. Flexibility, like strength and endurence, builds in increments.
  • TheGoblinRoad
    Options
    Thanks all, appreciate the suggestions. I'll try being patient. Unfortunately yoga classes are not very accessible for me, since I'm deaf. I rely on one-on-one instruction, and haven't had a lot. I do take care to avoid injury.
  • Lucendiluna
    Lucendiluna Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I know the topic has been dead for quite a while, but i was having problems with the proper form for Downward dog and i found this article, and thought you might like it too : http://www.yogajournal.com/basics/1978
    Have a good day!
  • Califragilistic
    Options
    s
    My problem with downward dog is that I find it by far the strongest yoga pose - except maybe for half a minute in a held squat - that there is. My lower back, hamstrings and calves are all tight, and I have to be careful putting weight on my shoulders because they aren't that great from hunching at my desk job all day. I have no idea how to (or how anyone could) experience this position as a rest - it seems the furthest thing from rest imaginable.

I have tried to assimilate every form tip I have ever been told about this, but it only makes the pose marginally easier.

Just to add my two cents here - its true that the pose is very strong especially if you focus on alignment and shoulder strength. Sometimes after some days of vigorous practice, my triceps are dead and I spend half the dogs in child's pose... However, I recently discovered the rest phenomenon during my Ashtanga. When doing a vinyasa, I find myself breathing a little sigh of relief (and wishing I could hold the dog longer) if only to postpone the coming poses... And that's when I feel I'm doing something right...
  • jombarrett
    Options
    And you may never. I am a yoga teacher and this is a common complaint. Make sure your heals are aligned directly behind your toes. Pedal your feet lowering each heel seperately. Another option: bring your feet in closer to your hands, decreasing your stance. Lift your tailbone, pressing your pelvis back and upwards. And be accepting of yourself. Everyone's range-of-motion is different. Breathe, feel, and enjoy! Namaste.