Trouble increasing biceps curl weight

Options
DrumlineGirl
DrumlineGirl Posts: 178 Member
Hi!

I'm doing dumbbells.

I've been lifting for 2 weeks, but have done weight lifting in the past. Now, in the past, my methods were a certain weight, 3 sets, 10 reps. When I was able, I would go up to 3 sets/10 reps of the next weight up. I only stuck it out for several months those times in the past and never saw much progress in my look. I'm hoping to stick to it longer now.

However, I am now trying a new method of heavy lifting to build a little muscle and help burn fat for definition. I'm basically doing 2 sets of one weight, 10 reps, then go up to the next weight for 1 set, as many reps as I can (usually 4-6 reps). The next lift day I try to do all 3 sets at the new weight, 6-8 reps. So far, in the last 2 weeks I have been able to progress up one weight (5 pounds more) in every exercise except for biceps curls. I've had this problem in the past as well, every muscle group progressing except for biceps.

I"m doing 2 sets/10 reps on 15 pounds, and trying my hardest to just do a max of 20 pounds 1 rep on the 3rd set. That's all I can do, and I can only do that on the right hand and not the left. Any suggestions on how to move up to 20 pounds, 3 sets of 8 (then eventually 10 reps)? Am I too impatient? I realize 2 weeks is practically nothing, it's just frustrating that I've moved up a weight in every other muscle, and had this problem in the past.

Replies

• irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Don't do them. Do compound exercises. Bench press, overhead press and bent rows. even deads help bicep/tricep, squats for legs. until you've built a good base of mucle (you will be able to tell in that you can't lift any heavier @ 5 sets of 5, and it takes at least 12 weeks to hit that spot and then you drop to 3 sets of 5. Check out stronglifts 5x5.
  • DrumlineGirl
    DrumlineGirl Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Interesting, thanks!
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Don't do them. Do compound exercises. Bench press, overhead press and bent rows. even deads help bicep/tricep, squats for legs. until you've built a good base of mucle (you will be able to tell in that you can't lift any heavier @ 5 sets of 5, and it takes at least 12 weeks to hit that spot and then you drop to 3 sets of 5. Check out stronglifts 5x5.

Wrong. While compound exercises are the best for your body, it's important to do isolation exercises as well. In order to improve strength, you have to lift as heavy as possible for 4-6 reps per set. Do that for 2-3 weeks, then you should be able to do 8-10 reps per set and at that point you increase to the next weight up. It's a slow process, especially while maintaining a caloric deficit, but it works.
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've been strength training consistently for 5+ years with a certified personal trainer. It's takes WAY longer than two weeks to build strength. Don't give up. Don't ever give up. I started with an 8 pound bicep curl (dumb bells) and now I curl 30 pounds for two sets of 6 on my "heavy lifting day". If you find you can get past 15, try something like this.

A set of 10 reps at 10 pounds
    A set of 8 reps at 12 pounds
    Two sets of 6 at 15 pounds
    Then a strip set; 8 pounds until you absolutely cannot do one more.

Rest about 30 seconds between each set. Do this type of exercise grouping 3/week for maybe a month and then increase all the REPS on the weight.

So, a set of 12 a 10 pounds, a set of 10 at 12 pounds, a set of 8 at 15. Do this for a month. Then go back to the lower reps with increased weight.

It's also important, though, to vary the actual exercise you're doing. Do regular curs, concentration curls, "wide" curls (turn your arms out so they make a "w" with your body), hammer curls, try an inclined curl (lay down on a inclined bench). Each variation works the muscle differently and works different muscles within the arm. Some exercise will require you to lower the weight. For example, don't expect to curl the same weight on an incline curl... it will be a couple of pounds lighter.

Compound exercise (e.g. combining a lunge with a bicep curl) will burn more calories and hit more muscles but isn't the best single solution for increasing maxim strength. Focused or concentrated exercises are the key there....