Anyone else working hard and frustrated?

Options
My doctor said my thyroid is under control, but I am frustrated with this pattern of weight loss/gain! I work so hard to lose one pound per week, staying right at 1200 calories net, and do that for 3-4 weeks. Then one morning I wake up and weigh myself, and I'm back up those 3 or 4 pounds! I reason that it may be water weight or being bloated, but then I have to work another week to lose one of those pounds, so it takes a whole month to get back where I was a month ago, down 3-4 pounds. THEN the next day, I'm up those 3 or 4 pounds, and have to work the whole month to lose them again! Following this pattern, I have lost only 1 pound since August.

When I saw my doctor in December and told her about this, she just said, "Be happy that you are not gaining weight." Not encouraging!

I'm 30 pounds overweight, post-menopausal, with hypothyroid. What more can I do?

Replies

• tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Join the club!! Thyroid issues get worse after menopause. I went low-carb and started losing weight, but it is only about 1 lb. per week -- but I don't gain it back. I eat between 1200-1400 calories a day, 13% carb, 25% protein and 62% fat - per my dietician. I also workout 6 days a week at least 1 hour, but most days it's 90 minutes.

I recently went to a Naturopath for my thyroid -- he's working on completely revamping my meds, getting me off of Synthroid, etc.

And, my standard line: please read the information at www.stopthethyroidmadness.com
  • seaglass2
    seaglass2 Posts: 192
    Options
    I am in the same sinking boat you are in.

I am trying to jump start my metabolism and this is what I am trying right now. I don't like to eat early in the day so I skip breakfast. I am taking my thyroid medication when I wake and eating one hour after and breakfast has to be primarily a protein. If I eat steel cut oatmeal or any other healthy carb type breakfast I want to eat again in an hour.

Then I am exercising at least 30 minutes, I have an elliptical machine so no excuses for not exercising!

Then I am drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day, getting in four glasses by 9:00 am.

These are all things that I don't like to do so perhaps that is the key ;)

I was thinking maybe 1200 calories a day is not enough. If your body thinks is is starving itself because you made a sudden and drastic decrease in calories it will slow down your metabolism. Just a thought.

Right now, I am losing weight but when I hit my first plateau, I am going to try staggering my calories, 1200 one day, 1400 the next and 1600 the following day, lather, rinse, repeat.

I wish I had the answers all we can do is try different things and see how our bodies respond.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    So.....I just started the process of being tested for hypothyroid....and it's a complete pain!!! I had the blood work done, and the doc sec. called last night and said my blood work was normal, when I questioned her about it being "normal" she said my TSH level was a 2.47.....from everything I read this seems sort of high?? Plus I had an ultrasound done, still waiting for those results. Have hypothyroid in the family and these symptoms are redic.....i dont know if I should continue to question the doctor or just leave it be, plus I'm on birth control and I heard that sometimes it can effect your tsh levels....help :(
  • aprildiamond42
    aprildiamond42 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just heard about zig-zagging, just what you mentioned, seaglass2, going under calories one day then over one day. It just seems impossible (defying the laws of physics) to put on 3-4 pounds in one day with such a low calorie intake, and then not have it come off for several weeks! Who says 3500 calories is one pound? For me, 400 calories is 4 pounds!

Okay, I'm ranting and raving, but really!

moodyc82, are you on birth control so you won't get pregnant? Because the hormones in bc can make you gain weight easily.
  • efarrar13
    Options
    It is water weight...we are like camels. I have done the primal diet for two days and have dropped about 7 lbs. I can tell my face is less bloated as are other areas. I am the same as you...will get my weight down...then bam back up again. I slowly inch down over time but it continues to work this way.

I think wheat/gluten is a problem for us.
  • seaglass2
    seaglass2 Posts: 192
    Options
    I have to agree with gluten (the protein in wheat) too. I believe over time I have developed a sensitivity to it. I have had allergy testing and was tested for celiac and came up negative but I went on a gluten free eating program for six months until my system calmed down and seem to tolerate it now but I was eating way too many carbs before.

I think drinking at least 8 glasses of water and watching sodium intake is a factor too. I don't seem to get bloated or retain as much water as I did when I had a menstrual cycle.
  • tecallahan
    Options
    So.....I just started the process of being tested for hypothyroid....and it's a complete pain!!! I had the blood work done, and the doc sec. called last night and said my blood work was normal, when I questioned her about it being "normal" she said my TSH level was a 2.47.....from everything I read this seems sort of high?? Plus I had an ultrasound done, still waiting for those results. Have hypothyroid in the family and these symptoms are redic.....i dont know if I should continue to question the doctor or just leave it be, plus I'm on birth control and I heard that sometimes it can effect your tsh levels....help :(

2.47 is HIGH!! He's crazy if he calls that normal. I am 1.59 and my doc is trying to get me down to under 1. But more importantly, T4/TSH isn't the whole story.

T4 is an inactive thyroid hormone. When your thyroid is underactive (hypo), your T4 levels increase - the higher they go the worst you feel. In a healthy thyroid, T4 converts itself into T3 which is the active thyroid hormone. So, these crazy doctors give us synthetic T4 and they think that our diseased thyroids are doing a great job of converting it to T3. BUT... they don't test us for T3, so they really don't know. They only lab test for TSH!! Most doctors also don't test for Hashimoto antibodies.

If you stay on just replacement T4 for a long time, your T3 levels could be wreaking havoc and antibodies could be attacking your thyroid and you will have hypo symptoms, but the docs will say "your levels are normal... see you in 6 months".

I don't know about how birth control affects it. But please educate yourself about what your thyroid does and if you have symptoms and feel bad (fatigue, brain fog, weight gain (without eating too much), insomnia, constipation, dry hair/nails, hoarse voice... and a slew of others!!... then find a doctor that will treat your symptoms.

I've had symptoms since 1997 and I hate the doctors that put me in this condition. I trusted them and they did not help me.

• Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

2.47 is HIGH!! He's crazy if he calls that normal. I am 1.59 and my doc is trying to get me down to under 1. But more importantly, T4/TSH isn't the whole story.

T4 is an inactive thyroid hormone. When your thyroid is underactive (hypo), your T4 levels increase - the higher they go the worst you feel. In a healthy thyroid, T4 converts itself into T3 which is the active thyroid hormone. So, these crazy doctors give us synthetic T4 and they think that our diseased thyroids are doing a great job of converting it to T3. BUT... they don't test us for T3, so they really don't know. They only lab test for TSH!! Most doctors also don't test for Hashimoto antibodies.

If you stay on just replacement T4 for a long time, your T3 levels could be wreaking havoc and antibodies could be attacking your thyroid and you will have hypo symptoms, but the docs will say "your levels are normal... see you in 6 months".

I don't know about how birth control affects it. But please educate yourself about what your thyroid does and if you have symptoms and feel bad (fatigue, brain fog, weight gain (without eating too much), insomnia, constipation, dry hair/nails, hoarse voice... and a slew of others!!... then find a doctor that will treat your symptoms.

I've had symptoms since 1997 and I hate the doctors that put me in this condition. I trusted them and they did not help me.

I was thinking i should go to another doc for a second opinion. Cause now all he suggests is doing more bloodwork on other things, and I know damn well these symptons can't be from anything else. I'm just frustrated and my bf thinks its crazy they wont put me on something. I see the doc next wednesday and I'm thinking i'm just going to ask for a copy of my bloodwork and find another doc
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you guys have talked about gluten. This morning, I finally connected my high-carb dinners to my morning weight disappointments! I weigh every day and thought I was doing well. Last night, we had homemade pizza and garlic bread. I stayed within my calories, but was up a pound and a half this morning.

For everyone feeling down, don't give up!!! Remember that weight loss is only half the journey. We're also working to become healthier in general. Our road is longer than for some others, but we'll get there!
  • tecallahan
    Options
    So true -- I can only speak for myself, but carbs are not my friend. I don't eat any gluten -- all my carbs come from green vegetables. I also eliminated starchy veggies like potatoes and corn. It was hard 'cause I love this stuff, but I am sure my body is taking those carbs and storing them as fat. Would I have this problem if I was not hypothyroid? Who knows? I just know that carb restriction and lots of exercise is the only thing that moves the scale for me.
  • samhradh
    samhradh Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Well the time has come to fight back.
    I am at the lowest i have ever been with hypothyroidism.
    I have just spent the last two weeks researching the best way to rebuild my life.
    Found almost too much information, not great when you have brain fog.
    websites
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/
    http://thyroid.about.com/
    Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/stopthethyroidmadness/

So what am i going to do...... i have made an appointment with a Homeopath for next Wednesday evening, this is a big step for me, i have never looked out side conventional medicine for treatment.
    I got so mad last week when my GP gave me a copy of a letter he received from the Endo this is the conclusion at the end of the letter.
    "I did explain to her that i was not convinced that her symptoms related to her marginal thyroid abnormality. i have not arranged to see her again but would be happy to do so at any time if you so wish"

Hell no, you will not, at €200 for 15 minutes of not listening to your patient, it was no wonder that i got an appointment within a week at a time of my choosing.

So if i want to improve the quality of my life i am going to have to fight for myself , if that means looking outside the norm well here i go.

wish me luck this could be a long hard struggle but hey at least i am making a start.

Linda
  • tecallahan
    Options
    Well the time has come to fight back.
    I am at the lowest i have ever been with hypothyroidism.
    I have just spent the last two weeks researching the best way to rebuild my life.
    Found almost too much information, not great when you have brain fog.
    websites
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/
    http://thyroid.about.com/
    Facebook

So what am i going to do...... i have made an appointment with a Homeopath for next Wednesday evening, this is a big step for me, i have never looked out side conventional medicine for treatment.
    I got so mad last week when my GP gave me a copy of a letter he received from the Endo this is the conclusion at the end of the letter.
    "I did explain to her that i was not convinced that her symptoms related to her marginal thyroid abnormality. i have not arranged to see her again but would be happy to do so at any time if you so wish"

Hell no, you will not, at €200 for 15 minutes of not listening to your patient, it was no wonder that i got an appointment within a week at a time of my choosing.

So if i want to improve the quality of my life i am going to have to fight for myself , if that means looking outside the norm well here i go.

wish me luck this could be a long hard struggle but hey at least i am making a start.

Linda

Go get 'em, sister!! I agree there is information overload on those websites! But finding a homeopath, naturopath, doctor, etc. that will treat your symptoms and not your lab results is key. I had to abandon conventional medicine, too -- just could not get them to understand that I am not a TSH score... I'm a person!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I went gluten free and dropped half a stone in a week, only 4lb the next but I've not put any of it back on and still losing I have stayed mainly gluten free, except I allow a mini yorkie pud on sundays as not found one gluten free and I can't be handling hot oil out of oven as have ataxia and intention tremor so wouldn't be safe trying to get red hot oil out of oven and spilling it all over my legs! (if making my own with gluten free flour)

I use gluten free bread though (1-2 times a week not everyday as its higher cal than regular bread) corn tortilla's in place of wheat ones and most meals don't have additional carbs (potatoes, rice, pasta) etc with them just veg with fish or meat.

My water retention went down dramatically from daily 3-5lbs to 1 lb per day until I went to bathroom. Monthlies was 6lbs + previously now my average is 4lbs on and it comes off quicker. I also found my tummy shrunk when going wheat free.. lost 32lbs total, 13" off tummy, 7" off waist and 42 and going through peri-menopause.
  • tecallahan
    Options
    Wow @shakybabe!! You are doing great. Interesting how different people react differently to eliminating gluten! Glad to hear it worked for you!
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    It just seems impossible (defying the laws of physics) to put on 3-4 pounds in one day with such a low calorie intake, and then not have it come off for several weeks! Who says 3500 calories is one pound? For me, 400 calories is 4 pounds!

Okay, I'm ranting and raving, but really!

Oh my gosh!! I thought I was alone and going crazy. I gained 2 pounds over night when I was 800 calories below my calorie allowance. I'm ranting too!!! I gain and lose the same 3 pounds over and over again.
    What I'm looking at now is questioning my dairy consumption in the morning.
    And does anyone else take Vit D3 and B12 and Fishoil? I take them about 3-4 hours after my thyroid meds and then take a multi vitamin about 6 hours after. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I have found being hypothyroid I have to be extremely careful about what I eat. Carbs are definitely trouble. I also just found out I'm terribly allergic to yeast. No wonder I always felt so miserable after pizza (and garlic knots)! A high protein, low fat and low carb diet is the only one I've tried where I could still lose weight without feeling hungry all the time. And I swear, 400 calories in is a gain of at least a pound; and 3500 calories as a deficit is the loss of maybe half a pound, if I'm lucky! So unfair.
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    400 calories in is a gain of at least a pound; and 3500 calories as a deficit is the loss of maybe half a pound, if I'm lucky! So unfair.

^^This! It takes so little over to gain and sooooo much effort to lose a single measly pound, it would be funny if it weren't so damn frustrating.

My nutritionist once suggested that I try with a 80% protein - 10% carb - 10% fat/ and it helped me lose quicker (two pounds in a week as compared to one on my usual plan), but I also find that a diet consisting mainly of protein makes me irritable, kind of nauseous and wiped of energy, so I went back to ignoring those particular parameters and just eating foods that make me feel good (mainly fruits and vegetables).
  • loulou0612
    loulou0612 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I was so frustrated,working like a dog, but Then I did some research and started following the primal diet and have consistently lost weight...I have lost almost 10 lbs in 20 days, I am not starving myself and actually have more energy...Not saying its for everyone but today had a great bbq after church, and ate some amazing food..
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    What is the primel or primal diet?
  • tecallahan
    Options
    Primal refers to our roots as humans... eating meat, fruit, veggies. Nothing processed,no dairy and no grains (gluten). It's about eating when you're hungry and not eating when you're not hungry. No sugars, sweeteners, etc. If it comes in a box, it's not allowed. Fresh, organic, natural foods are what's needed. They don't count calories (I don't think). And they don't worry about fat content.

You can google PRIMAL and get tons of info. But I think the key is fresh food only - no dairy and no grain. Eat like a caveman!