Just in need of some routine advice

Options
So I currently do 1 or 2 specific body parts each day that I weight train. This is the program my bf set me up on to start with. I have listed some of the exercises he has shown me. Sorry if the names don't make sense, I swear my bf makes them up as he goes. :tongue: I have been using this routine for 2.5 weeks now and have been writing my sets, reps, and weights down.

Day 1: Chest and Triceps- Bench Press, Dumbbell Bench Press, Cable Fly's(High,Low, Middle), V-bar push down on cables, Straight bar push down on cables, rope push down on cables

Day 2: Legs- Leg Press/Calf Raise, Squats, Leg Curl(quad/hamstring)

Day 3: Back and Biceps- Bent over rows, Lat Pull Down, Hammer Curls, Bicep Curls, Cable Curls.

Each workout ends with abs and 20-30 minutes of interval training. Okay most workouts :wink:

We workout 5-6 days a week, and we seem to just repeat these, and there is one day that I just do cardio because the routine they do that day is just not what I need, or so they tell me. :laugh:

Now my question would be what do I need to improve on here? What am I missing? I get so lost with all the information out there. I use heavy weights and I am not afraid of "getting dirty" in the gym. My BF is training for power lifting, whereas I am more into female body building/modeling. So I'm not sure how his routine will work for me, but I figure his routine is better than no routine at all.

I absolutely love squats. They are hands down my favorite exercise. :heart:

Also I was wondering if you ladies like hitting just certain muscles each day or doing an all-body workout a few times a week?

Any suggestions are welcome! I have always done body weight exercises and basics like dumbbells and bench press.

Thanks in advance ladies! And sorry this is so long!

Replies

• ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm an all body workout fan, especially if you're not doing consecutive strenght training days.

My husband and I took an unplanned "break" in the last quarter of 2011 so we're starting off slow; my January schedule is Weights, Cardio, Rest, repeat. Then in February we'll switch to our regular schedule of Weights, Cardio, Weights, Cardio, Rest, repeat.

Our current lifts are:

Weights A:
    Barbell Deadlift - 5x5
    Barbell Bench Press - 5x5
    Short Bridge - 5x10 (unweighted)
    Pendlay Row - 5x5
    Weighted Exercise Ball Crunch - 5x10

Weights B:
    Barbell Squat - 5x5
    Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press - 5x5
    Body Weight Lunge - 5x10 (husband is doing weighted, my left knee isn't up to that yet)
    alternating with pull ups
    Pull-Up - 5x how many can we do (I'm at 2 per alternating with negatives, hubs at 4or 5 per)
    alternating with lunges
    Plank - 2x how long we can last

Everything is getting worked, but not isolated.

edit to add: Our cardio rotates between Insanity, Turbofire, running, bicycling, or elliptical.
  • missle30
    missle30 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I break mine down pretty much the same as you, as that's what my trainers (i've had 4) have all had me do. I had great success when i stuck with it really well. Leg days, though, I do 7 to 8 different exercises and don't do any cardio.
  • BlueEyesXoXo
    Options
    Thank you both for the input! :smile:
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I think how you lift should vary based on what your goals are. If you want to build strength, your BF set you up OK. If your goal is to have lean muscles with more definition, you need to add more endurance into your work out (lower the weight and increase the reps). If you're starting to get bored with the same exercise, you do need to mix it up or your at risk to quit all together!