Life Changes

Options
mbmorse1011
mbmorse1011 Posts: 492 Member
For us who have to lose more than 10 lbs this is not just a diet it is a life change. What is something that you have done to change your life that has helped your journey?

Mine is I moved! Last Oct I lived in Wisconsin and now I live in Indianapolis IN. I moved away from a lot of my favorite temptations:

1. Fish fry! I love fish fry and in Indy you can't really get it all the time and its NOT the same. No fried catfish does not count. I want a good cod or lake perch in beer battered fried goodness! I used to go out every Friday for Fish with friends, unlimited to boot. With fries (waffel with ranch dip) and rye bread and coleslaw. MMMM my mouth is salavating just talking about it. And with this of course I had a beer or 2 or 3.

2. Rocky Rococo's Pizza- now this doesn't exist everywhere. I happened to live near one. It is a fantastic rectangular pizza that gives you gut rot (the name we gave the feeling that you get the next day after eating it) but tastes so good going down. I would get a meal which consisted of a 4 x 6 inch rectangular piece of pepperoni and cheese (sometimes the super slice if it was the special that day) with a drink, DR pepper of course and breadsticks, you got a cup filled with 6 6" long breadsticks that the bottom of the container was soggy from the butter. OOOOOH it was so good. I got a craving for it yesterday but you know what. The closest one is 4 hours away! Curbed that real fast.

I don't even want to know what either of those was in calories. But it was a staple every week to have those at least once.

Replies

• vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Started working out, it was always hard to figure out hwo to do it around work and everything else, well now I just make it work. My husband had a big health scare in October and I'm trying to model positive behavior and challenge him, when I get to his weight I think it will become a race, lol.
  • ChelleBalady
    Options
    Hello, the major change I have made is hiring a trainer. At first I kept telling myself it was expensive and not in the budget. However, my doctor told me that if I quite my eating out habits , and prepared my food that not only could I hire a trainer, but also become healthier. I did the calculations and she was right. Don't get me wrond I occasionally go out for a healthy lunch/dinner but not everyday anymore. Hiring a trainer has been the best thing for me. I shopped around found one that not only trains me in exercise but is opening up my world to being a healthy. I am not on a diet just feeding my body fuel instead of garbage. I still have 77 pounds to lose but feel that I will accomplish this goal and learn to live a healthy life style which means I will no longer struggle with being heavy. My fitness pal has also been a huge help! :-)
  • ChelleBalady
    Options
    Has changing your life style helped your husband with his? I am trying to encourage my boyfriend to start on a healthy life but he isn't intreasted. :-( it makes it harder when the person you live with still eats junk.
  • mbmorse1011
    mbmorse1011 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Has changing your life style helped your husband with his? I am trying to encourage my boyfriend to start on a healthy life but he isn't intreasted. :-( it makes it harder when the person you live with still eats junk.

My boyfriend hasn't changed. He was eating debbie treats while I was doing my 3 mile walk last night. He knows he needs to but I said there were some things he needed to work on first.

1. He drinks 5-7 cans of diet soda a day
    2. He doesn't like any vegetables but carrots, potatoes and corn (not really veggies)
    3. His portion sizes

Every time I bring one of those up the conversation ends. He used to be a runner going 4-5 miles at a time. Now around the block is a work out.

I'm hoping that by my progress and results he will change his mind. You cant force them either. They have to make the decision to do it on their own.
  • ChelleBalady
    Options
    True it does have to be their decision. Hopefully with our changes they will start their own journey. :-)
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options

Yep, he still struggles with the exercise part but is very supportive of my efforts. The food is hard for him some days easier others, he is trying to lose 20 lbs to get off his diabetic medications he had a bad health scare back in October and it has helped him see the need to change. You can only abuse your body just so long.