Craving Sugar

Options
Hi I just started the diet and am really craving carbs especially sweets. I do have a sweet tooth and it gets worse during stress.
Any suggestions on how to curb my cravings? I almost feel like I am in withdrawal, I feel so crabby!!

Thanks in advance
Bee

Replies

• mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on the diet? Breaking the sugar addiction can take a while. If you share your diary, people may be able to help you more.

For me, I just remind myself that I can eat my craving on cheat day, which is never more than six days away. Some people carry a small pad with them and write down the foods they crave during the week as a sort of to-do list for cheat day. The act of writing it down with intent to eat later can be a big help.

Lastly, sucking on a few raisins or having maybe 1/2 cup of juice is a no-no, but some people find it necessary during their body's transition to slow-carb. If you need to do that, only use it when the craving is otherwise unbreakable at that moment.
  • bridall
    bridall Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi, I know what you mean. Some days I have my lunch and I'm full but my mouth wants something sweet.

I generally do 1 of 2 things. I either go for a quick 5-10min walk, have a glass of water and find something to distract me or I just acknowledge I'm not hungry but I'm going to have a piece of chocolate anyway. I only have 1 square(8g), that I eat slowly.
    The walk and water works better but I can't always do it, hence I give in, but in a controlled way.

I hope this helps.
  • FireSwan
    FireSwan Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    When I'm craving sugar, I do like the others have suggested, drink a glass of water (I squeeze a bit of lemon in it), a square of chocolate, or tell myself I'll have sweets on cheat day. I might grab a few almonds or even make a cup of iced coffee with just a splash of half & half and some cinnamon. For me, I associate cinnamon with sweets so this usually helps the sweet tooth.

good luck! the sweet cravings will get less and less frequent!
  • rsaldivar5651
    Options
    Anyone use yokult? I use it each day for the bacteria boost. Also helps with the sugar craving. My mom is a baker by trade. It takes a lot of conditioning to ignore the baking that happens in our kitchen each day. It is a constant struggle, but you can do it! This week I am experimenting weight loss and coffee creamer. I have always used Carnation Vanilla Nut. But after adding the calorie count for 22 days (3210kcal), I decided to see how it affects my weight loss. Trust me...I'm two days in and having trouble.
  • luviedovie
    Options
    i've had a hard time not having dessert after dinner so i drink tea with cinnamon or have a square or two of 90% dark chocolate or sometimes jello. it's funny with jello cause most of the time i dont even finish the cup since i hate jello but it kills the dessert craving.
  • ducklingsmum
    ducklingsmum Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    After dinner is where struggle too- i have successfully removed the "dessert" and replaced it with a glass of metamucil- the berry range is sugar free but tastes sweet, and the extra fibre fills me up so that i dont want anymore. We have been slowly easing into the 4 hour body, and have 2 out of 3 meals with legumes, in a few weeks, i am going to ramp it up to follow tims reccomendations more to the letter, now that the whole family are starting to love legumes!
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have curbed my dessert cravings by having a couple glasses of red wine on those nights. Wine just makes everything so much easier.

My wife laughs at me, because I will walk by sweets sitting out on the counter, pause, and then glare at them and say, "Sunday," in a menacing voice. If I can't eat them today, I might as well get to warn them of their imminent demise.
  • FireSwan
    FireSwan Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have curbed my dessert cravings by having a couple glasses of red wine on those nights. Wine just makes everything so much easier.

My wife laughs at me, because I will walk by sweets sitting out on the counter, pause, and then glare at them and say, "Sunday," in a menacing voice. If I can't eat them today, I might as well get to warn them of their imminent demise.

^^^ THIS ^^^
    :laugh:
  • jmach002
    jmach002 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    After dinner is where struggle too- i have successfully removed the "dessert" and replaced it with a glass of metamucil- the berry range is sugar free but tastes sweet, and the extra fibre fills me up so that i dont want anymore. We have been slowly easing into the 4 hour body, and have 2 out of 3 meals with legumes, in a few weeks, i am going to ramp it up to follow tims reccomendations more to the letter, now that the whole family are starting to love legumes!

thats a great idea! i am going to try that i think bc i bet that will help with me too!!