Bent over barbell row form check

Options
EricMurano
EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
Hi again,

Since my form on squats and deadlifts needed some work I've looked into my barbell row technique. I've dropped the weight quite a bit and I've recorded myself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W9uaZDsA5Y

I'm still having issues with being too close to the knees. Also I'm not quite sure where to bring the bar up to. I had been bringing it up to just below the nipples but I've read different opinions varying from the upper hip to the middle of the sternum.

Sorry if these are getting annoying.

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Can't check that from work, but here:
    http://stronglifts.com/how-to-master-barbell-row-technique/

The site also has a lot of good information with videos for both squats and deadlifts. Hope that helps.
  • EricMurano
    Options
    Can't check that from work, but here:
    http://stronglifts.com/how-to-master-barbell-row-technique/

The site also has a lot of good information with videos for both squats and deadlifts. Hope that helps.

Thanks mate. That's the programme I'm currently doing.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Ah, sorry then you probably already saw that. If I remember I'll check when I get home.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRrIsoDpKg

^ I think that's the man himself teaching it (Pendlay).

I'm no expert on this but here's my commentary for what it's worth.

I think your setup position could be off a bit.

Watch the attached vid at 2:24 for his setup position.

This is assuming you're attempting a pendlay row and since you're pulling from ground on each pull, that's what I'm going off of here.

It almost looks like you're in more of a standard barbell rowing stance but pulling from ground. The setup for BoR and Pendlay are a bit different.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    These are the rows that I am currently working on as well, maybe it is just your stature, but it appears that your back is still rounding out, and the pendlay calls for a very strict paralell back form. I know from doing it myself that balance is a very difficult thing if you move it out from your knees more and when you compare it to the form video at http://stronglifts.com/how-to-master-barbell-row-technique/ I don't think that your too close.

as for where to row to?

4. Row Against Your Chest. If the bar doesn't hit your chest, it's like doing a partial Squat or half Bench: the rep isn't completed and you're not getting the most out of the exercise. So always Row the barbell against your chest. Where exactly? Same position as where you touch the bar on the Bench Press.
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Bump for later reading 'cuz my barbell row is full of fail as well. (new exercise for me, also found it on Strong Lifts)
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Your back is rounded again, as a poster above said, you always want that straight back when working the back, too much compression on your spine is asking for injury.

Your set up is a bit off as well. When i set up, i like to do a underhand deadlift, or a setup in a cage from a rack pull.

Bend your back slightly (around 45 degrees say) but keep it straight so your bent at the hips and then straight up the rest of the way, you achieve this by sticking your bum out like you were squatting. Bend at the knees and hips and nowhere else. Rowthe barbell into your stomach with a underhanded grip (i cant see your grip in the video but assume you are double underhand). You can do overhand grip, and sometimes i like to for additional gripwork, doing double underhand works the biceps more, so if you're a back n bi kinda guy you want underhand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUFUiotRPdE&feature=related

Pendlay row is really just a BB row, except you dont pick up and set up for the lift, you just reset from the ground and keep your angle more like 90 degrees.
  • EricMurano
    Options
    Hi guys, thanks for your replies. I'll just clarify a few things. I keep forgetting that people can't read my mind, at least not over the internet ;)

I'm doing the Stronglifts 5x5 programme which is a beginners' programme that uses compound lifts including the power squat, bench press, overhead press, power lifting style deadlift and bent over barbell row (not Yates rows, as I think Nymph was describing).

I've had figured out that there are two types row that you can do in the programme. One is the standard bent over barbell row and the other is the Pendlay row. Both are similar save for the Pendlay row requiring you to lift the upper back. I am going to try to use the Pendlay row.

The Stronglifts site says to start the regular row with the bar above the centre of the feet. But going off Pendlay's instructional video it seems that the Pendlay row starts near the tips of the toes. I assumed the starting position was the same but I might be wrong?

RE: where to bring the bar up to - same as bench is the common opinion so my question is: is below the nipples the right place for the bar to come up/down to for the bench and row?

Either way I agree that my starting position in my video has me rounding my back too much still. I'll work on it a bit more during next session. Rows are not in my next workout but I'll still record some before attempting deadlifts again, which I'll record too :)

Thanks again guys
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day doing this type of row and I had some trouble, too. It could have been partially due to it being low to the ground (only had 10 lbs plates on it), but I'm thinking I was also pretty rounded. Either way, 5x5 @65lbs was HARD for me. Pretty sure I'll stall out on this one soonish.
  • EricMurano
    Options
    Today was my first day doing this type of row and I had some trouble, too. It could have been partially due to it being low to the ground (only had 10 lbs plates on it), but I'm thinking I was also pretty rounded. Either way, 5x5 @65lbs was HARD for me. Pretty sure I'll stall out on this one soonish.

Get some extra plates and put them flat on the floor and put your bar on them. The start height of the bar is important :)

I've heard you can get training plates that don't weigh much but are full size so you can get that bar up to the right height.
  • questionablemethods
    Options

Get some extra plates and put them flat on the floor and put your bar on them. The start height of the bar is important :)

I've heard you can get training plates that don't weigh much but are full size so you can get that bar up to the right height.
    In retrospect, that would have been a good idea (also, perhaps, starting at a lower weight....) but since SL starts with 65 lbs for the rows and (I've been told) that I have a muscular back for a chick, I thought I would give it a whirl. It is definitely a different feeling than the more upright stance I have always used on rows in the past. It will take some tweaking. I got all the sets done with 65 lbs, though, so I guess it wasn't TOO heavy, but will definitely do a lot of warm up sets (with and empty bar and risers) to make sure my form is good.
  • EricMurano
    Options
    I don't think there's specific starting weights for any exercise in the programme. Maybe 44lbs because the bar weighs that much and you can start with an empty bar.
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    I don't think there's specific starting weights for any exercise in the programme. Maybe 44lbs because the bar weighs that much and you can start with an empty bar.

I think 65 is recommended because it gets the bar off the ground. He says if you can't row that much to do inverted rows. I knew I COULD row that much, just wasn't sure I could do 5x5 with good form at that weight. But I might bump it back and work on form more. I don't feel any need to progress quickly or anything.
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options

Don't worry, I couldn't do that much weight either, although I was using an overhand grip. (And, hell, I'm still stuck at 65x1x5 bench -- I'm a natural weenie when it comes to upper body strength). I used the preset bars (with weights that don't come off) for the first couple of reps and worked my way up to the bar + plates (I think I started at 20 lbs.) I think it's better to be safe than sorry, and if you can't do 65 lbs. with proper form, then definitely start lower in weight. The extra plates to get the bar off the ground is a good idea, too.

Thanks to the other posters for the video links. Lots more to learn ...
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    At first I thought you were rounding your back but when you actually do the lift you straighten out so I think you're good there. Your *kitten* could be a little higher though. Can you straighten your legs and maintain the same torso angle? If you can then that will bring your knees back and out of the way.
  • EricMurano
    Options
    At first I thought you were rounding your back but when you actually do the lift you straighten out so I think you're good there. Your *kitten* could be a little higher though. Can you straighten your legs and maintain the same torso angle? If you can then that will bring your knees back and out of the way.

Sure I'll give that a try. It might help me keep my back parallel to the floor too.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Your knees are meant to be bent! If you straighten out your back will curve, also, you row into the stomach, not the chest

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/BBBentOverRow.html
  • grantacconda
    Options
    Start a bent over row as if your going for a deadlift...

Approach the olympic size bar with knees shoulder width apart.

Squat down - grasp the bar, i use alternate grip (same as for my deads)

Head up, *kitten* out (like a squat), back straight and lift the bar to the top of your knees.

Once you are in this position, (standing upright) this is your starting position. have a slight bend in your legs. Pull the bar sliding along your legs from the top of the knee to the bottom of your hips or stomache if you will.

Dont go below the top of the knee on the eccentric.
  • EricMurano
    Options
    Start a bent over row as if your going for a deadlift...

Approach the olympic size bar with knees shoulder width apart.

Squat down - grasp the bar, i use alternate grip (same as for my deads)

Head up, *kitten* out (like a squat), back straight and lift the bar to the top of your knees.

Once you are in this position, (standing upright) this is your starting position. have a slight bend in your legs. Pull the bar sliding along your legs from the top of the knee to the bottom of your hips or stomache if you will.

Dont go below the top of the knee on the eccentric.

Hey there, I think you're describing a different type of row than I'm attempting. The exercise I'm doing is meant to start from the floor on each rep :)
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    So I finally got a chance to look at your vid. First off the type of barbell row you're doing is the Pendlay row. It might cause less confusion if you refer to it like that since there are lots of variations on rows.

Second what Sidesteal said is pretty spot on. I use the video he linked myself to help with my form. Try stepping a little bit back from the bar (NOT a lot, just a quarter or maybe half a step) and raise your hips slightly so you still have the same motion. The way you're standing in order to keep your back straight your head basically needs to be upright, it should be facing the floor when you're doing these. Those two things should help to keep the bar away from your knees. You'll notice in the vid from Sidesteal that he moves the bar forward a bit and his hips are up so his back is parallel to the ground when he does the Pendlay rows.