I had VERTICAL SLEEVE 10 months ago!

Options
hello :)

yes 10 months ago--down from 320lbs-150bs!!! its has been incredible! im looking for ANYONE who has had or is looking into having the SLEEVE done! unfortunalty there are not many of us, and its so different from the bypasss or band. i absolutley enjoy speaking to all WLS patients :) but it would be awesome to reach out to a fellow "sleever" ;)

thanks for reading!

Replies

• ngory07
    ngory07 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I had vsg jan 24th 2011. Almost 1 yr out. Starting weight 304 and I'm at 152 now. My goal is 140. Its has been interesting!! It is different. You look amazing!! Can I ask you a question? Do you have a lot of excess skin? I do but my arms I hate because I don't want to cover them up all the time. Congrats on your success!!
  • LoveNevrNds
    LoveNevrNds Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My sleeve date was just set! I will be sleeved on Feb 7! I could not be more excited!!! Congrats on your success!!!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see some new sleevers! I think I'm the veteran here at 3.5 years out.
  • mswhite76
    mswhite76 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi!!! I was just sleeved on 1/17/12 and I have had some issues unfortunately. I have already gone through the stage of REGRET and am trying really hard to get my fluids in. But because of this extreme chest pain that I have (the Dr "thinks" they are spasms), it has been extremely difficult.

I need some support from anyone who can relate with me. I also had a Hiatal Hernia repair, which I didn't seem to have until I had this surgery. Boy, have I had a hard time this passed week.

I have lost 17# though and I'm trying to remain positive, but it's starting to feel impossible throughout all these complications I've been having.

:sad:
  • wags04
    wags04 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm going next week to 3 different information sessions! I'm excited to learn more. I'm leaning toward the sleeve but also considering the band.
  • wags04
    wags04 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good luck tomorrow, LoveNvrDs!!
  • twortz
    Options
    I had my surgery on Jan 16, 2012 and just discovered this thread today. My only regreat is that I did not do this sooner. I have had no complications except having a little trouble trasnsitioning to full food from pureed.

15320710.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • jmr085
    Options
    I also had "gastric sleeve" in October 2011 and so far have lost 71 lbs. I feel like a new person and really enjoy my new healthy lifestyle. This procedure is bar far the best thing I have ever done for myself EVER!!! I too wish I would have been able to do it 10 years ago, but I am going to make the most of the time I still have and live life to it's fullest.

I have been logging on MFP since last month and I really enjoy this site and the motivation it provides. I have been experiencing a plateau lately and get discouraged easily when the stupid scale doesn't move. I am hardly ever able to eat all the calories that this site says I should eat, but I am wondering if there is any advice for me as to what others are experiencing when it comes to feeling like you are working your tail off and getting no results. I am constantly afraid that if I eat too much it will "stretch" my pouch and all my hard work and efforts will be wasted. I know that I need to move beyond that thinking, but when you are accustomed to eating large portions it is hard to retrain yourself to be satisfied with less. I feel that I have done a great job teaching myself to be ok with less. I know that my clothes still fit great and I read all the time that measurements are more importantly sometimes than the scale, but I still would like to hear what others are experiencing......Do any of you sleeve patients have any advice for me?
  • MacMadame
    Options
    My first advice is not to even attempt to eat the calories that MFP calculates for you. The chances that they are accurate are about 50/50 and they are probably too much for someone with WLS on top of it.

Here's a table that shows my average calories per day, how much I exercised and how much weight I lost for my first year:

http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.com/2010/07/calories-protein-carbs-exercise-weight.html

During this time, MFP was telling me that I should be losing twice as fast as I was and if I'd eaten the calories it said I needed to, I would have GAINED! But at some point, it switched. It started telling me I needed way less calories than I actually did. If I'd followed it's advice, I would have been skin & bones!

In both cases, it was wrongly estimating my BMR. In the first case, when I was heavy, it though it was higher than it was. In the second case, when I was thinner and really fit, it thought it was lower than it was.
  • MSCoastRPh
    Options
    Hi,

I have started the process of getting approved for the gastric sleeve! I begin my 6 months of weight loss management in April and if all things go as planned, can have the surgery in October. I am working now to repair "problems" like not drinking enough water (drinking my 64 ounces now), eating smaller portions, chewing food slowly and completely, etc. Hopefully I can lose some weight in the process and be more physically and mentally/emotionally prepared for the surgery at the end of the six months. Glad to have found this goup on MFP!!

Denise
  • jmr085
    jmr085 Posts: 5
    Options
    Any suggestions on how to get through the plateau stage? I seem to be continuing to work hard and have changed up my exercise to zumba, kickboxing and walking and still eating under 1200 calories most days, but can't seem to lose more than 1 lb or 2. Most days it is hard to really eat much more than I already am and when I do eat more I try to eat high protein foods. I am thrilled that I am not gaining, but would love to be able to move closer to my goal of 20 pounds by my one year post surgery anniversary in October. I would love your feedback...........:wink:
  • MacMadame
    Options
    Well a plateau is when you don't lose any at all. Once you are far enough out that you only have 10-20 pounds more to lose, it's pretty hard to lose more than 1-2 pounds a week. In fact, that's a great rate of loss once you are no longer in the obese range but only overweight.

You can try the following that have helped others:

-drink more fluid
    -eat more protein
    -exercise more and/or more intensely

Plus, you need to subtract off 1 pound for every 10 pounds you lost (give or take) to account for loose skin that isn't going to come off without PS so it can't really be part of your goal.
  • karenb4729
    karenb4729 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found this board!! I just scheduled my surgery for the sleeve on June 4th. Right now I'm busy going from Dr's appt to Dr's appt for all the prerequisite testing. Originally I began looking at surgery last October hoping I would have to do a 6 month supervised diet before doing the surgery but my insurance didn't require it. It did require 5 yrs of BMI at over 40 and I was missing a year so had to wait until Jan to get weighed again at the Drs office. At that time I thought I would give it one my try at a good diet so I started a 1200 calorie a day diet and as hard as I tried I only lost 10lbs in 3 months. As soon as I met with the surgeon he put me on a low carb diet - he requires 30 days of 30 total carbs or less - well now the weight is melting off!! Can't wait to have the surgery and be able to fit more comfortably on an airplane, in a chair, etc!
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I had VSG on November 9, 2011. So far I have lost 78 pounds. I'm glad I found this board so I can share my journey with others and we can help each other on this journey.
  • Moonladee
    Moonladee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just had the sleeve last Monday (may 21, 12) I could use some fellow sleever's as friends!.. I am going through the recovery blues~ The surgery went well! But I had to have a pic-line IV.. (very hard stick) I got a blood clot from it.. I am on heavy duty blood thinner shots for it.. 6 weeks to 3 months worth.. Also, going through the liquid bores!!!! I miss my healthy food.. lol

Since the clot, my family is treating me like a fragile Flower.. All I want is to DO stuff!! lol-- I am also kinda second guessing all this.. I need some friends to walk me through this scary time.. The clot is serious.. And I guess I feel helpless.

Thank you
    Tina
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    I just want to announce that I have posted the new conversation thread for the rest of the year. See link below:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/653831-weight-loss-surgery-daily-conversation-2012?page=1#posts-9523870
  • Mrbusterb
    Mrbusterb Posts: 114
    Options
    I am three months out and it's the best decision i've ever made
  • MzzAshley
    MzzAshley Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome! Congrats on the loss :)
  • mercina22
    mercina22 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve done Jan 12th 2012 and have lost 85lbs to date.. 30-40 or so to go we'll see. Best decision i ever made.
  • qofdisks
    qofdisks Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am looking at lap band removal and conversion to a sleeve.