Transition One

Options
iplayoutside19
iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
I've been training for an indoor triathlon this Sunday. I call it a starter triathlon. 500 yrd swim, 6 mile stationary bike ride, 2 mile run on a track. This will be my first triathlon.

I started practicing my transitions in mid to late December, and I've put all three events together 5 or 6 times. Progressivly getting faster. Each time I do the T1 I've tried something different. The first time I toweled my self off, put my shoes on, and then ran to the bikes (dodging and scaring inocent YMCA goers while doing so). Then I decided that I just didn't need to towel off. I'll just put my socks, shoes, shirt on and go. That's seemed to work OK. I noticed I was spending a lot of time wiggling my socks over my wet foot so today I rolled my socks up to the toe, and put them in my shoes. That worked really well. I'm always trying to come up with ways to get faster. For this event I could probably skip the socks all together and not a get a blister. I've even considered asking if going barefoot was allowed.

Wet socks and shoes work for this event. But I got to thinking. In a longer event having feet that wet is one way course to Blister City. So, for a real outdoor Sprint or Olympic Tri (or longer), whats the best way to get put your shoes and socks on?

Replies

• Kilter
    Kilter Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    A lot of the pros simply go barefoot into their bike shoes and then into their run shoes.

Personally though, I dust the inside of both my bike and run shoes with baby powder before I start the race and do the same to my socks.

So baby powder in the socks, baby powder in the bike shoes, and baby powder in the run shoes.

It works for me, but it's not as fast as just going straight into a shoe barefoot and having that well powdered.

Personally, I'm not a pro and don't want to spend the time to get my feet strong enough that I don't notice ;)

Good luck on your tri! Kick some butt.
  • fimm
    fimm Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    For my first tris, I was cycling in the shoes I was also going to run in, and I put on socks. These days I have triathlon specific cycling shoes (the kind that have a single velcro strap rather than lots of straps) and I go barefoot into them in shorter races. I think I've done the run of some sprints without socks, but for longer races I've tended to take the time to put on socks for a run. I the first Standard I did, I didn't use socks, and I got blisters on the arch of my feet, which wasn't pleasant.

Good luck with your first! I wouldn't panic about having the slickest ever T1, just relax and enjoy it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I always dry off my feet. The 10 or 15 seconds it takes to do this isn't going to make or break my overall time. I also try to go a little slower through transitions... I find that calming myself down a bit and getting my breathing/HR in check leads to a better next leg than if I rush through focused solely on transition times.
  • cafeldmann
    cafeldmann Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I roll my socks up like you described, so they go on like unrolling a condom. I go sockless on the bike, though, and put my socks on with my running shoes in T2. My feet are a little drier by the time I get to T2, plus my old bike shoes were a bit too small for me and a lot more comfortable without socks! So I just got used to riding sockless.

I have a towel down under my stuff in transition, so I will just wipe my feet as I'm standing on the towel to clean them off. I also keep a water bottle and a hand towel in transition in case my feet are particularly sandy or dirty and the quick wipe doesn't get enough off. Depends on the race (and the run from the water to transition) whether or not I actually use them.

I have done a couple of sprint races where I ran sockless. The first time wasn't too bad, just a small blister that seemed to only hit at the end. The second time it was raining, and my feet were blistered, bleeding, and uncomfortable. A different pair of running shoes would probably have helped.
  • cafeldmann
    cafeldmann Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Aso, I'm not sure how your indoor tri works - the one I did, transitions were not counted in the time for the race. I'm sure others may be run differently, though.

Good luck, and have a great time!
  • Bolivingston
    Options
    If your goal is to be competitive here then you will have to man up and go without socks. T1 can be precarious even in an indoor tri but in an outdoor venue bike shoes can be done on the fly. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE....my first attempt in a race resulted in three broken ribs and a very painful nose surgery some five years later. I would recommend riding on top of the shoes until well away from the transition and then you can sneak your foot into the shoe, one at a time, and on the up stroke secure the Velcro. Lots of different techniques and the beauty is your feet are dry by then. T1 and T2 for that matter should be well choreographed events as you can recover lots of time here.

For your indoor tri the distances are short so there should be no need for toweling off. Jersey and shoes and your good! Leave the socks at home for this event and buy some speed laces. You should be able to stay at or close to your lactate threshold for this event so go hard and "Git R Done"!

Good luck!

http://www.speedlaces.com/
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I won't be anywhere close to competitive. My practice times will put me between 66-75% in the finishing order if the speeds are similar to the two previous years. That's pretty close to where I fall in a road running race. I'm just going out to have fun.

I'll probably roll with socks this time just becuase that's how I practiced. I'll play with the other strategies later. I'll probably do one more of these indoor Tri's before the summer.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I'm not super competitive and the comfort/not-getting-a-blister of putting on socks is well worth it to me. I haven't done an indoor tri, so I can't speak to your race tomorrow, but for outdoor tri's, I have 2 towels at transition. One is laid out flat and I can kind of slide my feet back and forth to dry them off. I have a 2nd towel that I use to rub the top of my feet quickly--it works best if the 2nd towel is like a thin hand towel so it can get between my toes easily & quickly.

I also don't have bike shoes yet so I put on my socks & running shoes in T1. It ends up evening out (except for obviously the pros who I have no hope of beating anyways) in T2 when I literally drop my bike & helmet and start running instead of changing my shoes then.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want out of your race. If it's all about having fun and nothing else (which is fine), and your race is short, you may just be able to get by without socks, and blisters. Otherwise, you may consider slathering your toes up with body glide or even chamois butter. It'll feel icky but it'll help fight off blisters.

I'm going under the assumption that you wear wicking socks, correct? If not then you should definitely consider zipping on down to your local dedicated running store and picking up a pair or two of wicking socks. Some are super-easy to put on and take off. I have a pair of Balegas that sit in my drawer waiting for race day, or dress rehearsal. It's the only times I wear them.

If it's all about being as fast as you can, super-compettive, kick but take names, reeling people in (which is also fine), then that's a different ball game. You gotta ditch those pedals, and get some clips and biking shoes, then work on biking sock less. Then, there are triathlon specific running shoes designed to be worn without socks. Zoots, I think. I don't know, I don't wear them. When I race, I ride sock less but I run in socks. I can't change shoes/socks standing, so I sit and do it, which always leads to a longer T2 than hoped. Such is life. However, I like Bolivingston's comment on speed laces. A VERY good tip.

Transition practice is a great idea though most people I know tend to ignore it. (Including myself). A shame, as it can really help. You're one step ahead of the game by even doing that. Kudos!

Good luck, and don't forget to have fun. HUZZAH!!! It's race day!!!
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    I should mention I wear a size 16 - 17 shoe. I've never found biking shoes. I don't just run to a store and buy anything for my feet. In fact, I put BMX Meat Grinder Pedals on my Mt Bike to give myself a bigger platform.

I know I need to get a pair of wicking socks, but I've never had a blister problem, even on long runs in the summer. Of course, I know I'm tempting fate on that one.
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    Final Question. What's the best way to get Sharpie off your arm/ankle?
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol takes off the Sharpie but watch out if you have a cut there too :wink:
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I should mention I wear a size 16 - 17 shoe.

Holy crap - this is like having fins on in the water - you must crush it on the swim!