Water retention?

Options
namenumber
namenumber Posts: 167 Member
Hello! For anyone who has been doing the program for a while: did you notice an initial increase on the scale? I noticed the scale jump up this morning, which I assume is water retention from starting a new exercise routine (I'm definitely sore LOL). How long did the initial increase last?

Replies

• kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I think I was retaining water at the beginning also, but it's so hard to tell as women because depending on what point we're on on our monthly cycles, that also affects how much water you hold. My advice is to not worry about the number on the scale at all for the first month, just take pictures and pay attention to how your clothes fit. If you haven't been lifting before you'll probably pack on a couple pounds of muscle anyways.

I've been doing this program for over a month combined with two days of HIIT cardio. The scale hasn't significantly moved for me yet (goes up a bit, back down, up, down, up, down...) but my arms are definitely thinner, my waste is just a tad bit smaller, and I'm definitely stronger overall.
  • namenumber
    namenumber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I would definitely prefer to be smaller and more muscular and fit as opposed to a low number on the scale but not strong. It's just so ingrained to judge progress by the scale that I can't help but get frustrated, especially because I want to lose at least 15 more pounds. I have to give it time and not get discouraged.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    I think you should throw away the scale for this entire program. Seriously. Just chuck it and follow the program: diet AND fitness pieces.

Dollars-to-donuts, 5 months from now, when you've finished the program, you'll be pretty happy with fitting into smaller size clothes.
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    mmmmmm doughnuts.....

Yes! I saw an initial increase, about 5 lbs. It's tapering down now a little to 2-3lbs. I expect it to stay up for a little while still. I don't care so long as my clothes fit still and I'm getting healthier
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting this program but I have lifted on and off over several years and every time I start a program of effective lifting I gain 5-7 lbs fast and I hold onto it for a couple of months it seems until I slowly begin to let it go.

I'm not even getting on the scale, I'm going to take pictures and measurements. I'm personally much happier not worrying about a number on the scale.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    I like your plan, jamk.