New to running & looking to ideas & support :)

Options
Wallaby2
Wallaby2 Posts: 132 Member
Hi fellow penguins! I joined MFP back in September and have just reached my goal weight. Since losing weight and improving my fitness I've gained a desire to learn to run. This is very new and weird for me as I have always avoided running. So, I've downloaded an interval trainer to teach me and build my endurance and I would love to learn from others who have some experience. I'm not looking to race, I would just like to integrate it into my usual exercise repertoire. Please add me if you would like to :)

Replies

• perezke
    perezke Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am not an experienced runner. I have been wogging (walking and jogging)--and rather slowly. But I am inspired by the idea that you dont have to run fast to be a runner. I have briefly lapsed and am a ways from goal weight, so I am working my stamina back up now. Since I wog, I try to increase the interval of my run and decrease the interval of my walk over time. I also love to track my runs using Nike+. It helps me see if I have improved.....which I have not of late. But I am hoping that group inspires me to step it up!
  • schizaphis
    Options
    I just joined MFP a couple of days ago to track/improve my eating and am really enjoying it so far, but I still have a lot to learn. It all started back in October when a coworker and I decided that we were going to train to run a 5K, which is coming up this Sunday, and I had to start from the very, very beginning. I've never liked running (until now, surprisingly I really enjoy it) so I avoided it at all cost. I got an iPod "couch to 5K" training app that utilizes the run/walk/run concept, and I've also starting reading anything I can find on running/training for running races. My plan is to run a few 5Ks then move on to longer distances, but I'm still tyring to master the 5K distance, lol. But I think the best advice I've read and heard just about every runner say is that it's a commitment for life not any particular race, so you should not think of it as a chore. It really needs to be something you look forward to: above all it should be fun!!!! That's something that was really new to me, I've never thought of running as fun, and I always doubted those who claimed it was. Runner's World is a good magazine for runners especially beginners, lots of really good tips and advice from seasoned veterans. Hope that helps Wallaby!!! :)
  • Wallaby2
    Options
    Thank you both for taking the time to reply to my post.....I was starting to think I would never get a response! Thanks too for adding me as friends. I'm into my third week of a C25K program on my IPhone; it's keeping me on track. I think I'm definitely improving but I'm a long way off from running 5K without stopping. I'm planning on registering to run the Mothers Day Classic, which is either a 4K or 8K run, so I have plenty of time. All the best to you both :)
  • Dbackj
    Dbackj Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your first 5k....I used the C25K program last year, which I found to be very helpful. They also have a bridge to 10k if you decide to keep going after the c25k . I was able to go from slogging for a few minutes in last January to 10 slow miles in August. Unfortunately I had a non-running injury and had to stop training for a while. I hope to be able to start back up soon and will be starting from the beginning again. Ugh...takes a while to build up the endurance but not long to lose it. Keep up the good work.
  • sm423
    sm423 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing for a beginner is to start off slow. I am no pro, I still have to walk/jog my runs. But I also started off thinking I could never run a mile straight. Three months later, I can now run 1.80 miles straight, inching closer to two miles. ;) I think interval running is a great approach, it really does build up endurance. Running at a conversational pace will help you out too. Make sure to stretch before and after, it will help keep you from getting injured. I know you said you don't want to race. But just signing up for a race to run it can be very inspiring. I signed up for my first half marathon in april. My only goal, to cross the finish line. Good luck to you!!
  • NikMosch
    NikMosch Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! It's a pleasure to meet you all. I am a "wogger" who is currently training for my 3rd half marathon (March 11). My goal is to finish with a better time than on my previous two half marathons, which means finishing in under 2:39 min. I agree with all the previous posts that anyone can run as long as you are consistent in your training and you have your mental game together. Happy miles to you all!
  • Wallaby2
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! You are all doing so well and I appreciate your advice and encouragement. I'm on Week 4 of a C25K and am progressing slowly but surely; I still find it hard to believe I will be running 5K in another month or so. It's a push, but the sense of satisfaction after each session is worth it. Any tips about breathing well? :)
  • graycaro
    graycaro Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hello! It looks like we're in the same boat! I recently started Couch to 5K (Week 3 Day 1 today), and yesterday, for whatever reason, decided to sign up for a 5K. I've NEVER been a runner and whenever I've pushed myself I've always failed. This time I'm going slow and loving it. Still kind of nervous about how I'll manage to finish a 5K with "real" runners around me in April, but we shall see! Also, congratulations on reaching your goal weight!
    Hi fellow penguins! I joined MFP back in September and have just reached my goal weight. Since losing weight and improving my fitness I've gained a desire to learn to run. This is very new and weird for me as I have always avoided running. So, I've downloaded an interval trainer to teach me and build my endurance and I would love to learn from others who have some experience. I'm not looking to race, I would just like to integrate it into my usual exercise repertoire. Please add me if you would like to :)
  • sfh0wrd
    Options
    I am (re)new to running! I was up to a solid sub-30 5k (only unofficially, on my own). Then, this awesome thing happened called too-much-running-not-enough-stretching which was nicely enhanced by getting-married-working-a-desk-job-moving-to-another-state.... and I'm back to square one.

I've tried doing C25K, and keep getting stuck at week 5 or so. So now, I'm lowering my goals and following a 4-week plan to get my base run up to a mile. Then I'll worry about tacking on that second mile, and then I'll do a 5k plan. I think it's going to work!

I definitely recommend anyone starting out to find a GREAT stretching routine and STICK WITH IT. I've made it a rule this time that I must do 20 minutes of yoga (focusing on forward bends and hip openers) as my post run stretching routine. (Rodney Yee's AM Yoga for Your Week happens to be what I'm using, but that is just a suggestion.)

Not stretching will bring your progress to a big screeching halt if you are careful.

Happy running!
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    My son and I just ran around our block yesterday! My husband says it is a little over a mile around. We walked to the corner and then I went all the way around without stopping. I am so impressed! It took 15 minutes from start to finish. I probably ran for 13. I really could have walked faster but I did the running movement the whole way! My son wogged. He was very pleased with himself too which makes me feel great!
  • perezke
    Options
    I am (re)new to running!

I live this phrase-- can I steal it? Every time I start running again I feel like I am new, but I am not...but this phrase takes away some of the shame that I have lapsed and mkes me feel like I am a runner--even when I haven't had the change to run in a couple weeks due to illness or general life craziness!
  • perezke
    Options
    I am (re)new to running!

I love this phrase-- can I steal it? Every time I start running again I feel like I am new, but I am not...but this phrase takes away some of the shame that I have lapsed and makes me feel like I am a runner--even when I haven't had the chance to run in a couple weeks due to illness or general life craziness!
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! You are all doing so well and I appreciate your advice and encouragement. I'm on Week 4 of a C25K and am progressing slowly but surely; I still find it hard to believe I will be running 5K in another month or so. It's a push, but the sense of satisfaction after each session is worth it. Any tips about breathing well? :)

First CONGRATS on getting here! Yes, it is amazing to be able to do a C25k program and you will surprise yourself at your 5k. If you are at all like me, don't be surprised if you find yourself tearing up or even all out crying. My first 5k was a Susan Komen Race and to see all the people in their Pink Survivor shirts, coupled with the In Memory Of tee shirt backs, added to my sheer emotion of the day. But heck I was proud of myself and all those amazing people around me!

Keep at it.. Remember, stick with your plan. Even if you cannot run it, walk.. just cover your distance.. You are going to rock it!
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Still kind of nervous about how I'll manage to finish a 5K with "real" runners around me in April, but we shall see!

You should have no worries on that front. Most 5Ks have people of all levels in them. Enjoy!
    I just posted above about my first 5k. You will LOVE it and if you are like me, it will inspire you to do even more!