Miscellaneous Chat

Options
A thread for any general queries or chat.

Replies

• quererespoder
    quererespoder Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    lol im the first poster :) im thinking about this book , because i think my body is actually nicely shaped and proportioned with two exceptions: im very out of shape and have no strength. and we all know the first point of fitness is to make us healthier....the other point is my tummy. its not fat or anything but i want a little more definition. i dont think i wanna lose anymore fat (dont wanna lose my legs , or butt or my boobs :P ) just define my body a bit, maybe gain some muscle. i know its impossible to spot tone , but this seems the closest thing to it :P and im scared of doing too much cardio since i dont actually want to get skinner and lose my shape. does it sound like this book's workout would be a good choice for me?
  • nightwyrm
    Options
    Hiya! Although the title makes it sound like an abs-targeting book, it really focuses on the whole core and builds a solid foundation for further work down the road. There's no real cardio involved, though there are "metabolic" exercises in the later phases, but you can supplement however you like (I add two days of cardio per week).

What the authors say about this book is that it reflects their latest thinking and practices, so is really an evolution of their older books. Accordingly, there are strength exercises with free weights that benefit the whole body... I think of it as a full body plan with a core focus. I'm losing fat myself, but I guess you get what you put in.

I really like this book and recommend it to all, but I'd also advise checking out whether The New Rules of Lifting for Women (there's a group) would better suit your needs... just in case.

Hope that helps.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Hi There. I have been doing this program since the beginning of January and just thought I'd check in. I have done NROL for Women before and am finding that I like this program much better because of the large muscle group combinations.
  • jahnlaw
    jahnlaw Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have the ABS book and the Six basic moves book. I started reading the later book but I'm not sure how the two books relate. Are they separate programs after the first is completed or are they both done during the same week. Your answer will help me get started faster.
  • nightwyrm
    Options
    @jahnlaw: The Abs book is their newer book so more reflective of their current philosophies. The original NROL book involves a number of core exercises that the authors now deem dangerous or ineffective (as per industry views) such as crunches, good mornings, etc. What they've said is that the Abs book is what you should do first (builds a solid core foundation), and if you want to do the original NROL programs afterwards, you should substitute the core exercises for the Abs ones.

Hope that helps.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm currently doing NROL (original) and will be replacing the core work in that with the core work from this program. Can't wait to start this evening.
  • mrteufel
    mrteufel Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Was wondering if anyone is still actively going through the NROLFA? I just started phase 1 this last week and was looking to grab a few encouraging friends on here :)
  • amcanzo
    amcanzo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm still working through the NROL4Women but have read this and am going to be incorporating parts into my workouts right now and then jump full in once I'm through the other workouts. I really like the warm-up that is in this book so I've been doing that before any lifting. :happy:
  • mrteufel
    mrteufel Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love the warm up it has, lol. First time I did it I wasn't prepared as compared to normal warmups, and it was a mini workout in itself!
  • amcanzo
    amcanzo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I love the warm up it has, lol. First time I did it I wasn't prepared as compared to normal warmups, and it was a mini workout in itself!

I TOTALLY agree! It was much harder than I expected for a warm-up!! :ohwell:
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options

I quite agree on the warmup, and I do intense cardio intervals two or so times per week!

I'm on week 4 of the first Phase and enjoying it much more than I had anticipated. I have zero dread factor with these routines ... I do hope that continues to be the case.