Exercise Equipment (and Other Ways to Waste Your Money)

Options
Alright, we've all probably done it one time or another.

Anyone care to share their embarrassing unused Exercise Equipment stories with the group?

Or even better, share your Equipment stories, where you actually got something out of it, so the rest of us might be motivated!

I'll start it out.

Let's see, I've got the following in my basement:

- the giant 55cm exercise ball (husband still making nasty comments about this purchase)
- wooden jump rope
- a set of Walmart $20 free weight set
- three exercise video's for the Wii (Jenny McCarthy Shape Up whatever complete w/eyeball camera and Wii Fit Plus & Wii Fit)
- hand weights
- arm band weights
- (and the piece d'resistance) the non-foldable elliptical in the MB, which is now a further extension of my closet.

Anyone else have these lovely necessities in their boudoir?

katie

Replies

• parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have an exercise bike, elliptical trainer, treadmill, inspire m3 home gym, abdoer, free weights, dumbbells, barbells, weight bench, kettle bells, TRX, buddy system, 360 degree trainer, bosu ball, 2 body balls, medicine balls, every Jillian Michaels video & several random others..... Uuuummmm I think that's it... :)

I use it all... :)
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I've got a treadmill (use it 5 times a week), a weighted hulahoop (use it 3 times a week), and hand weights (used 5 times a week while on the treadmill). I also have a jumprope used once a week. No need for anything else.
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I've got a treadmill (use it 5 times a week), a weighted hulahoop (use it 3 times a week), and hand weights (used 5 times a week while on the treadmill). I also have a jumprope used once a week. No need for anything else.

I have a couple of weighted hula hoops... They're cool aren't they!! My kids absolutely love them & used them all summer long!! :)

As far as "no need for anything else" that completely depends on an individuals goals. It would very hard for a person to gain lean muscle mass with a treadmill, hula hoop & jumprope.
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options

I'll have to google "weighted hula hoop" because I hadn't heard of it until now.

Anyone have success or non-success with the Ab Circle machine?

katie
  • Goingnuts2
    Goingnuts2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have treadmill that I wore thin! Lost 52 lbs in one year (gained 1/2 of it back though :grumble: )

I have a piece of equipment that works your legs/calves. You sit on it and it has handle bars, you push back and forth have no idea what it is called.

A pilates machine. A suzanne summers thigh buster (remember those). An exercise ball, medicine ball, weights 3, 5, and 8 lbs.

The Firm VHS tapes and Leslie Sansome 5 mile walk DVD with resistant bands (just purchased)

A gym membership at Planet Fitness (that's frozen until my foot heals)

(all above gathering dust)

and soon to be added to my arsenol..........................a Wii:love:

I plan on using the exercise ball and weights this weekend to work my upper body, so I'm glad I have them even though they aren't used much.

It's amazing after thinking about all of the goodies we have, that we never use them! What's that all about!?
  • AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'm very very ashamed to admit this....THE SHAKE WEIGHT!!!! :grumble:
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I had a Gazelle several years ago, loved it and used it. I lost about 30 lbs using it. Of course I got pregnant with my youngest daughter, moved and never took it out of storage. My husband eventually got sick of it taking up space and got rid of it.
    I have an Ab Lounge, thank God I bought it used for $20 bucks because it has done nothing but collect dust since the day I bought it.
    I also have a couple different work out videos resistance bands and hand weights at home. I use them occasionally when I can't make it to the gym.
  • katiebythebay
    Options
    I had a Gazelle several years ago, loved it and used it. I lost about 30 lbs using it. Of course I got pregnant with my youngest daughter, moved and never took it out of storage. My husband eventually got sick of it taking up space and got rid of it.
    I have an Ab Lounge, thank God I bought it used for $20 bucks because it has done nothing but collect dust since the day I bought it.
    I also have a couple different work out videos resistance bands and hand weights at home. I use them occasionally when I can't make it to the gym.

Is that the machine that that Tony somebody with the long curly hair, used to do the infomercials on? I've always wondered about those machines.
  • faw1001
    faw1001 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    In the past I have bought and used for a short period of time:
    exercycle x 3
    treadmill - manual (boo)
    power rider (I think that is what it was called)
    skipping ropes
    exercise videos (yes that was some time ago)
    and a mini trampoline

Now I have and use regularly:
    Treadmill - electric
    swiss ball
    hand weights
    yoga mat

I also have a Wii but not Wii Fit. I did buy EA sports bundle through an online deal yesterday tho but I suspect it will end up the 1st list.
  • faw1001
    faw1001 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I had recently been thinking about getting another exercycle too, but after this I won't. Thank you Katiebythebay for saving me some $$$
    :smile:
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Is that the machine that that Tony somebody with the long curly hair, used to do the infomercials on? I've always wondered about those machines.
    Yep it was, I had the Elite which had resistance weights on it so it was a good work out.
  • katiebythebay
    Options
    I had recently been thinking about getting another exercycle too, but after this I won't. Thank you Katiebythebay for saving me some $$$
    :smile:

YVW. :blushing:

katie
  • tammi42
    tammi42 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, lets see....I have an elliptical machine, treadmill(which I use every day), WII Fit and was using it but I have a bad knee and all the lunges I was doing was too much for me right now. I have a mini trampoline(love it but my mommy bladder doesn't), a hula hoop but not a weighted one. I have 5lb free weights which get used regularily, And I just bought one of those small sand filled exercise balls(6lbs). Love it as well.

The elliptical is just a clothes hanger right now, and will be going away to scrap metal heaven soon. It is old and bulky and my husband is tired of moving it. :)
  • Gshepmix83
    Gshepmix83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I used to have an "AB roller" for AB workouts. It did work but got so tired of it. I end up selling it at my grandparents garage sale. Don't remember how much I sold it for - probably $5.
  • Shirlann46
    Shirlann46 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I have a Treadmill I bought maybe 10 yrs. ago and finally started using it in the last year. Weighted Balls(2 lb), hand weights 2 & 3 lb.-Wii and Wii Fit. Lots of Walking and Yoga/Pilates DVD's. Yes, I use them ALL, finally.
    Treadmill sat for years -even tried selling it-I'm glad I didn't.
  • Deuxtrouble
    Options
    I have:

1. An electric treadmill - I use this every day
    2. A home gym - I use this Tues/Thurs/Sat for weight and strength training
    3. Dumbbells - 3lbs, 5lbs and 10lbs - am using right now - personal trainer friend gave me a different 4 week workout that I am now doing instead of my home gym
    4. X-box Kinnect - Biggest Loser - HATE IT, Dance (do it with my daughter) and Zumba (LOVE IT)
    5. Yoga Mat
    6. Almost expired Gym membership that I have not used since the summer.

I got my treadmill 70% off at Canadian Tire (LOVE their sales) and my home gym from Kijiji for 180.00 new in an unopened box. I love it because it incorporates the machines I was shown how to use at the gym.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I have an Elliptical - love it! I use it most days.
    One of those big balls. We got it as a birthing ball. I use it as a bench when I do weights. Trying for 2 or 3 times a week. I need heavier weights but I haven't gotten around to getting them.
    A selection of dumbbells up to 10 pounds
    Zumba fitness for PS3 I love it! I have been holding my little one pound dumbbells to simulate those toning shakers the zumba people use. My arms do feel tired at the end and I think i may breathe harder but I'm not sure.
    I have a 10 minute pilates video that I don't use.
    I have two new pairs of running shoes that I do use but not for running yet.

I want heavier dumb bells and a bar bell

What do you guys want?
  • healermoon
    healermoon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have the first 30 day work out video for Biggest Losers, 10 minutes a day dvd....
    a Yoga Mat...
    and....
    a bunch of 10 minute workouts saved on my Netflix.

I do have a Wii but no Wii Fit.
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You know what's funny though? I never really get rid of anything, and it's funny how often things come back into use in my workout routine!

For instance, I bought weighted gloves years ago when I was really into kickboxing classes at the gym I was going to at the time. Eventually my shoulder gave out and I couldn't do it anymore, so those weighted gloves have sat in a box in my garage for about 6 years.

Well, recently I discovered that I could do kickboxing as long as I wasn't punching a bag (I use exercise dvds at home, mainly Cathe Friedrich). So I dug those weighted gloves back out and am using them again.

Glad I didn't toss them!

A waste for me is the Wii Fit and balance board. it was good when I first started working out, but now a year later, it's just not challenging at all so I never use it.
  • katiebythebay
    Options
    You know what's funny though? I never really get rid of anything, and it's funny how often things come back into use in my workout routine!

For instance, I bought weighted gloves years ago when I was really into kickboxing classes at the gym I was going to at the time. Eventually my shoulder gave out and I couldn't do it anymore, so those weighted gloves have sat in a box in my garage for about 6 years.

Well, recently I discovered that I could do kickboxing as long as I wasn't punching a bag (I use exercise dvds at home, mainly Cathe Friedrich). So I dug those weighted gloves back out and am using them again.

Glad I didn't toss them!

A waste for me is the Wii Fit and balance board. it was good when I first started working out, but now a year later, it's just not challenging at all so I never use it.

I'm glad you can still use some of the old equipment too. Means it wasn't a waste.

I feel the same with a lot of the "things" I have, but I don't have all the room for everything.

~katie