I have made an executive decision ;)

Options
KarenBorter
KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
I decided this morning that I am definitely going to stay in Phase 1 for 4 weeks. I am NOT going to do a rest week and Jump into Phase 2 January 30th. Why have I decided this? Well for one thing my balance / core sucks but I noticed a change yesterday while doing total body from that of week 1. This is an indicator that it's working. Secondly; "rest" week is basically yoga. I mean during recovery and mobility the first 15 minutes is yoga so I don't want to burn out on that and rather then burn out and fade away from Yoga, Jumping into Phase 2 will keep me motivated.

I am looking forward to X2 Yoga tonight and want to continue to look forward to it ;) but what I am REALLY looking forward to is Balance and Power tomorrow!

EDIT: To add to that, I am going to do what is suggested and swap out on week 2 and 4 of Phase 2 V Sculpt and X2 Chest Shoulders and Tri instead of doing Chest Back Balance and Shoulders and Arms.

Replies

• ecp2698
    ecp2698 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Funny this is your decision, because my husband and I were talking about doing exactly that! Sounds good!

I am bummed I didn’t get those workouts.. we got the lowest package, not realizing that those workouts didn’t come with it, we just didn’t need to get all the equipment!

I really like balance and power, too. In fact, I like all the workouts in this phase! I can’t say I have a favorite!
  • KarenBorter
    Options
    I just entered all the stuff into my WOWY calendar and my google calendar. I am set thru the end of February ... Phase 3 starts in March.

I am already thinking ahead to a P90X/P90X2 Hybrid for after I get done with this. If I sort it out then I will post it somewhere LOL.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Gigi was talking about the hybrid of both programs too. We'll be going into phase 2 after an extended phase 1 as well. We're headed to Vegas to see family today, so we'll see what we can do to stay on track.
  • Rappla88
    Rappla88 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Karen - That is pretty much exactly what my husband and i are thinking of doing as well! I have Total Body tonight... can't wait!!!
    I also agree with you that balance and power is one of my favorites as well!! I have to travel tomorrow for a friend's bridal shower... hopefully I can squeeze yoga in there somewhere... seeing as though my husband isn't coming with me I might have to sub X2 yoga for the fountain of youth yoga..... we both can't be in different ends of NY state doing the same yoga!!!
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Hi there everyone! It is fun to be doing this in a group, that being said I am officially starting with my BB coach and a P90x2 group on Monday. I have to keep the same pace as the group and that is why I started two weeks earlier, knowing that I need a lot of work on my foundation. I can't wait to see what our 30 day results are because I am feeling stronger, fitter, lighter and better with every exercise.

Have a great weekend everyone! I am doing Yoga and Balance and Power tonight (so long as I can) as we have a weekend FULL this weekend but I don't want to skip anything.

KPP and bring it!
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Yeah i really think a hybrid is going to be the ultimate program!!!! But first i want to master all the moves in P90X2 so im in no hurry.... As Steve Edwards says here in his blog http://steve-edwards.blogspot.com/2012/01/win-day.html

"You can’t say you’ve mastered X2 until you can do all the exercises in perfect form with the same weight you can use from a stable platform; and if you think that’s impossible then you’re starting to get the picture. There is room for improvement and winning each day is the essence of what P90X2 is about."

Starting to really understand what X2 is all about, its a lot harder than i gave it credit for the first week and cant wait to say im a P90X2 graduate!!!!
  • KarenBorter
    Options
    Starting to really understand what X2 is all about, its a lot harder than i gave it credit for the first week and cant wait to say im a P90X2 graduate!!!!

This statement right here is what makes me irked at people that did 3 days of Phase 1 and said "it's too easy" or "it doesn't have enough weight and I want to lift weights" ... I bite my tongue and let them just do it. Phase 1 is the most important Phase IMO of the program as it builds the foundation in which you can then move on to Phase 2 with better form and balance. Face it, if you lift weights and your core sucks you are going to get hurt. Period.

I have all the stuff programmed in to my calendars now and feel confident about my decision to stay with this phase for 4 weeks.
  • CrimsonScotty
    CrimsonScotty Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    you're right Karen, and i know i'm one that has said i miss weights but it's not because i think this Phase is too easy or unnecessary, i just don't want to lose the little bit of muscle i do have that's taken me so long to build. 4 weeks seems like it's gonna be about right for me too, doing each of these workouts only 3 times just doesn't seem sufficient to build proper form on all the moves. I'm pretty good now on some of it, but i'm also pretty bad on some of it too, so to move on without being good at ALL of it seems to be missing the point.
  • KarenBorter
    Options
    Trust me, you won't lose any muscle ;)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I switched to Phase 2 w/o any recovery week. I got sick and week 4 of Phase 1 was not kept to schedule because of it. I DO think Phase 1 was too easy, you wont convince me any different. I guess after reading the Steve Edwards statement, I was able to do the moves balance as if I was not being challenged by the balance. But I have also worked hard for several years on balance and core work and think that somethings are just more challenging to some than others. I'm loving Phase 2, but still do miss the original P90X workouts. I agree a hybrid program would be the best of both world.

One thing I'm really pleased with P90X2 tho - it's SO SO easy to incorporate other cross training. I totally feel this is the perfect program for maintaining muscle, cross training, and flexibility while in the middle of race training. My next half marathon is in March and I will start PAP Feb 1 and end just before my race. I'm really looking forward to keeping P90X2 into my training as I train for my October full marathon. It's definitely a program written for those that participate in athletic challenges taking other activities into mind.
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options

Unfortunately for us, we will lose muscle mass that we have gained if we dont supplement a few workouts or add in a 30mins lifting session here and there!!! We lift heavy and have built up a significant amount of muscle, so in order for us to not lose this muscle and continue to make gains we are having to add in extra lifting days!!! Thats not what this Phase is about and if we want to keep the gains we've made we will have to add in a little extra!!! Once we get into Phase 2 we wont have to add in as much but we are still going to have to add in the Big 7!!!

The Big 7

Squat
    Deadlift
    Chest Press (Bench Press)
    Rows
    Chin-up/Pull-up (this will be included in the next Phase more im sure)
    Military/Standing Press
    Dips (this also will be in next Phase im guessing)

When i say Squats & Deadlift im talking 100-150lbs, Chest Press with 65-90lbs, and so on and so on!!! The lifting in P90X is great but we have gotten into a heavier weight lifting program and this is where Scott and I are afraid of losing gains!!! P90X and P90X2 are amazing programs but they dont cover this area of heavy lifting and therefore we have to be careful not to lose our gains and add in the extra lifting 1-2days a week so we can continue to make gains!!! If I want to meet my goal of deadlifting twice my bodyweight i cant depend on P90X2 to get me there for that; i have to do this extra on the side (which is hard to do sometimes when you have already done a 60min workout)!!!!

Dont get me wrong P90X2 is giving me something that heavy weight lifting hasnt (more core strength for one) but this is why we miss lifting and are looking forward to getting back to lifting heavier in the next Phase!!! Right now we are having rather long lifting sessions to cover everything (biceps, tris, legs ect....) but once we get back to lifting in Phase 2 of X2 our extra lifting sessions will decrease in time a great deal (to only cover what isnt being covered in Phase 2 of the Big 7 instead of everything like right now). Hope this explains it a little more!!! :wink:
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    P90X2 Balance and Power completed for the second time. Better in some moves worse in others. Needed the recovery formular today. I Don't use it much because of the carbs but I know when I really need it. I also think I'll keep with the balance stuff but will ad some lifting.
  • KarenBorter
    Options

Unfortunately for us, we will lose muscle mass that we have gained if we dont supplement a few workouts or add in a 30mins lifting session here and there!!! We lift heavy and have built up a significant amount of muscle, so in order for us to not lose this muscle and continue to make gains we are having to add in extra lifting days!!! Thats not what this Phase is about and if we want to keep the gains we've made we will have to add in a little extra!!! Once we get into Phase 2 we wont have to add in as much but we are still going to have to add in the Big 7!!!

The Big 7

Squat
    Deadlift
    Chest Press (Bench Press)
    Rows
    Chin-up/Pull-up (this will be included in the next Phase more im sure)
    Military/Standing Press
    Dips (this also will be in next Phase im guessing)

When i say Squats & Deadlift im talking 100-150lbs, Chest Press with 65-90lbs, and so on and so on!!! The lifting in P90X is great but we have gotten into a heavier weight lifting program and this is where Scott and I are afraid of losing gains!!! P90X and P90X2 are amazing programs but they dont cover this area of heavy lifting and therefore we have to be careful not to lose our gains and add in the extra lifting 1-2days a week so we can continue to make gains!!! If I want to meet my goal of deadlifting twice my bodyweight i cant depend on P90X2 to get me there for that; i have to do this extra on the side (which is hard to do sometimes when you have already done a 60min workout)!!!!

Dont get me wrong P90X2 is giving me something that heavy weight lifting hasnt (more core strength for one) but this is why we miss lifting and are looking forward to getting back to lifting heavier in the next Phase!!! Right now we are having rather long lifting sessions to cover everything (biceps, tris, legs ect....) but once we get back to lifting in Phase 2 of X2 our extra lifting sessions will decrease in time a great deal (to only cover what isnt being covered in Phase 2 of the Big 7 instead of everything like right now). Hope this explains it a little more!!! :wink:

Ah okay ... yeah, it does since you are lifting that heavy I can see where the danger lies then.