Favorite toning exercises

Options
aklitten
aklitten Posts: 237 Member
So, sometimes spot-reducing doesn't always work. (You have to get rid of the belly flab before you see some fab abs!) But what are your favorite exercises for toning?
Personally, I love straight-up exercises, like squats and bicep curls. The more straight-forward, the better!
I have to do all of my working out at home with free weights and I might not be able to get away with this forever, but I will as long as I can!!

Replies

• kmplatt94
    Options
    Have you tried Pilates? I do Pilates twice a week. I've been doing Pilates for several years. I think its the best toner for your core, arms and butt! You do not have to go to a Pilates studio. You can get a dvd. I do both. If I cannot get to the studio during the week, I will do it at home. I love it. I also do other cardiovascular exercise besides Pilates. Keep up with the good work!
  • ReadyToLoseItNow
    ReadyToLoseItNow Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to work towards toning along with losing the last 15 lbs I want to see gone so I am looking forward to seeing the responses to this topic.
    I do a weight lifting class at the gym 2x a week and I am seeing definite improvement in my strength and am starting to tone a bit too.
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am very interested in Pilates. I just got a Wi Fit for Christmas, so I want to play around with that. I really can't afford to go to a gym right now, so I am looking for at-home activities. And I've been reading a lot about how heavy lifting can really help women tone up. I just need to how to figure out how to do it at home.
  • incfighters
    incfighters Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i'm just starting to try out resistence band workouts.

http://exercise.about.com/library/bltotalresistancebeginners.htm

my sister did this workout which i think is pretty difficult, but it does tone you up. i'm gonna try to incorporate some of this to my workout as well.

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/9-9-9-workout
  • Rboch
    Rboch Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You can try using a medicine ball if you haven't already, I have a 12 lbs one and there are a million exercises (you can find online) to do with it. Even adding the extra weight to squats, ab exercises, arms, etc. Makes a big difference! I also just purchased a pull up bar to go in my doorway, really great arm work out, you can use it for abs as well.
  • klb364
    klb364 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The Womens Book of Exercises by Women Health has great ideas on different excersizes. Each has a photo and instructions if you are not in a DVD mood, Many can be done with small or no weights.