Anyone have Paragard?

Options
fiberartist219
fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
I want to get the copper IUD, but since I hear it can make your periods worse, I wanted to see what mine is really like.

A little back story: Before I was on the pill (10 years ago) my periods were probably a "regular" flow and they lasted about seven days. I had some cramping, but it wasn't the end of the world. While on the pill, I was very light, had no cramps, and only lasted about three days. Then, over the last two years, I skipped the placebo week in such a way that I only had a period every three months. I was trying to see if the migraines I was having were due to hormones.

So, my migraines are essentially gone, and I stopped taking the pill in October to see if it was affecting my weight loss and my energy levels. Yes, it was. I lost some weight a lot more easily than before, and I have more energy now. It is great. I really don't want to go back.

So... since October, I hadn't had a period until yesterday. Today, I'm bleeding all over the place.

So, I want to know, how bad is the Paraguard? I don't want kids, and I don't want hormones, so I thought this might be a good idea, but I'm kind of scared about the side effects. Are the heavy, painful periods, just temporary?

Replies

• trlyblssd79
    trlyblssd79 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have been on Paragard since June 2010 and my periods last about 7 days. The first day is very light, the next 3 days are EXTREMELY heavy ( by this I mean I am wearing a tampon PLUS a pad to make sure I have something to catch leaks because) you will leak. ON those days I change my tampons/pads every hour sometimes sooner. After those days it goes back to being extremely light the rest of the 3 days.

Honestly if I didn't work from home I don't know how I would be able to be on this b/c of how heavy those 3 days are.

I do love the fact that it lasts 10 years too, and copper is something your body needs so you can stay drug free on this. I have never had any painful cramps ( I hardly get any cramps ) but IF I do they are very mild.

I'm sure for everyone it is different but for me the periods are extremely heavy for half of my period and my cramps are almost non existent. No other side effects except for it was very painful to have it put in. That is something I wish I had researched a little more before going in. lol Jeez.....almost passed out afterwards ( and I have a very high pain tolerance).
  • fiberartist219
    Options
    See, that's kind of what I'm worried about. I got off the pill in October, and I wanted to see what my natural periods were like without the pill before I got the IUD. I spotted two weeks later, and then didn't have any period at all until last week. On Friday, I went through a bunch of supers. When I was on the pill, I never needed more than a light tampon, and those things would last an entire day. I was up and in the bathroom every hour or two hours.

However, it's already tapered off, and the cramps weren't too bad at all.

I know if I mention the heavier period, most folks would want to sway me toward the Mirena, but I feel so good now that I don't have those hormones floating through me that I am really not interested in going to back to hormonal birth control.

I also can't partake in NFP for obvious reasons. (Not that I'd want to anyway... I'm so terrified of kids, that I need something that is statistically secure.)
  • Krushchev
    Krushchev Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I know you're specifically looking -away- from the Mirena, but .... (lulz)

I had terrible, terrible reactions to all the bc pills I tried - constant nausea / vomiting, migranes, no sex drive, photosensitivity even when I wasn't dealing with migraines. I've had the Mirena for like two months now & other than some initial cramping / spotting, its been awesome. No *****yness, no weight gain, no headaches or anything.

I don't remember how the effectiveness compares - I would think they're about the same. If your insurance covers it well, I would try both, lol.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Does having a paraguard in the past qualify?

(I'm one of those freak stories that got pregnant on the paraguard.....but there have been a ton of people who have gotten pregnant on bc before so don't even worry about it! The ob/gyn said the paraguard never moved positions but I think it must have if I was able to get pregnant. But, besides getting pregnant I loved it! )

I did notice that I cramped more during ovulation which was new for me since I had never experienced that before. I had to get it inserted during my period but he just told me to call when I was at the end of my cycle and come in. I took 3 Ibuprofens before getting it inserted and it felt a little uncomfortable but it wasn't bad at all! My period was a little heavier for a couple of months and then it evened out. The paraguard was the easiest form of birth control ever! You just check the string once a month and you are good.

I'm contemplating getting it again. :)

Hope that helped!
  • fiberartist219
    Options
    Does having a paraguard in the past qualify?

YES! That qualifies. :happy: Thanks for your story.

I am 99% sure that I'm going to get it. I just need to make the call and schedule it... but my period is irregular so I might have to have one induced to get it put in. Anyway, it helps to know what other people have been through, because it tells me what is normal and what isn't.

I finally had that one period after three months of not having one, and the first day was heavy, but then it tapered off really fast. If my periods are slightly worse on the Paragard, I think I'll be fine. I was a little bit afraid of the insertion, but I think it will be worth it to not have to worry about birth control again for a decade. My fertility will be almost over by then.