Martial Arts Burn

Options
I am wondering how you all calculate the calories you burn at training?

Tips and advice about eating back exercise cals in this instance etc would also be good.

For me, I know how hard I work in a session and if I deserve the cals or not so I won't always eat back the cals.

When I do 20 mins of EA sports active with a heart monitor I burn around 120 cals. So that X3 and the martial arts is twice as intense. plus MFP gives me around 700 cals for 1 hours Martial Arts so I think that is about right.

My training involves lifting 170lb guys and throwing them 20 or 30 times. I don't see how you can wear a heart monitor in a contact sport so that is difficult to calculate.

Replies

• fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I found this quote, I thought it might help:

'Vigorous calisthenics such as pushups, sit-ups and burpees burn 563 calories an hour for a 155 lb. person. The burn is 472 for someone weighing 130 lbs., 645 for someone at 180 lbs. and 745 for someone who weighs 205 lbs., notes the online site NutriStrategy.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/318485-the-calories-burned-with-burpees/#ixzz1jRlRMxab,
  • stewartcarden
    Options
    I always think that an hours class of drills is 45 mins drill with 15 minutes watching/ listening/ being drilled upon , keep that in mind when adding it. Also an hours pure rolling/sparring is going to be a lot more burned than an hour drilling.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    Options
    I think it is different for every sport, if you are doing ground work you are resting more when being taught, but if you are on your feet you are still moving and your heart rate is higher.

I still wanna know if anyone has worn a HRM in training.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I made a custom exercise, then used the DB exercises. Basically I figured out my 50 minute class was 10 minutes of calisthenics, 10 minutes of light aerobics, 10 minutes of heavy aerobics, 20 minutes of actual boxing/bagwork. Then I took that total and cut it down to account for rest periods (water breaks) and waiting for instruction. I ended up with 600 calories / hour and I weigh 236lbs.

The site puts just 'kickboxing' at something like 1100 calories an hour for me... I'd gain weight like crazy if I trusted that and ate back my calories.

No HRM though I did check my heart rate a few times in class using the clock. It's really only elevated on heavy bag work and light sparring/training rounds....
  • yulinerinwang
    yulinerinwang Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I found kickboxing in my gym is very competition-based, in other words includes crazy cardio, basically an one-hour session is 20 three minute rounds... But I found sparring is less tiring than warming up (non-stop skipping rope/ burpees/ other jumping around..). Anyways, I sweat like crazy in kickboxing and go all out even only doing pads or bag work, so I count two hour training as two.

On the other hand, BJJ is more chill: a two-hour session is an hour instruction/ drilling and an hour rolling/ sparring. So I only count an two-hour session as one hour when I log exercise.
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I can't wear a hrm at taekwondo, this site always gives me around 700 cals for an hour..but each class is different-sometimes we work harder than others, so I never consider them all calories that I can eat back. Instead of logging my whole class I have started deducting 15 mins to account for the time listening to the instructor/standing in drill lines/grabbing a drink of water, that way I feel it is a little more realistic.
  • cirka2002
    cirka2002 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I would love to find a HRM that I can wear on my upper arm during a class just to see what I burn.
  • peacefulninja
    Options
    I looked up karate and what I found said 519 calories. I knocked it down to 450 to factor in time standing there, watching and listening and subtly catching my breath.

Jiu Jitsu is a mellower workout, so I put that at 350. I don't sweat in Jiu Jitsu but my muscles ache like crazy afterward. That has to count for something, right?
  • fatty_to_fitty
    Options
    I looked up karate and what I found said 519 calories. I knocked it down to 450 to factor in time standing there, watching and listening and subtly catching my breath.

Jiu Jitsu is a mellower workout, so I put that at 350. I don't sweat in Jiu Jitsu but my muscles ache like crazy afterward. That has to count for something, right?

Let's not get into a debate on which is a tougher work out. Each martial art is different and I have been fortunate enough to train under a 5th Dan American Karate instructor and a 7th dan jujitsu sensei. I will stick with jujitsu thanks. (if you must debate it then that is what MMA and the cage was created for :wink: )

In each style you will have classes where you nearly faint and others where you are more mentally challenged than physically. By sharin experiences we can update the mfp database and work smarter on our journey to success.
  • SandyMilton
    Options
    I count my hour long class as 45 minutes, and even though I use the 700 some odd calorie burn this site shows, I don't eat back the calories. Some days are a heavy burn, some days not so much.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I would love to find a HRM that I can wear on my upper arm during a class just to see what I burn.

I think something like the bodybug is the closest you will find to that. They are super spendy last I checked... HRM work so well because they read electrical impulses - hence the chest strap. Anything else just reads (less accurately) pulse.
  • Sandeezee
    Sandeezee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Great post!! I've been wondering the same thing. I ordered my HRM and will attempt to wear it during my 90 minute Jiu Jitsu class. Not sure what the outcome will be :ohwell:
  • Sandeezee
    Sandeezee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just ordered one and I'm going to try and wear it during my class. I hope I can get through it and get some type of data :smile:
  • MommyTKD
    MommyTKD Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My student (who is on here as BlackbeltJourney) has been wearing one and been burning between 500-700 calories in my classes. :) Only wish I could get credit for the ones she burns!
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    My student (who is on here as BlackbeltJourney) has been wearing one and been burning between 500-700 calories in my classes. :) Only wish I could get credit for the ones she burns!

Can you give us an idea as to what one of your typcial classes would include and how long it runs? Thanks!
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    In a typical BJJ lesson I use the exercise as is on MFP (its on the cardio list) . I disregard drilling and put in each roll as being 5 minutes. seems to work out fairly well, less rolling based session are around 300cal but our weekly "competition training" which is 90 mins and is a warmup then rolling for the remainder of the session usually brings up around 600-700 cal
  • kyrakoala
    Options
    Normally, I just enter in the Taekwondo for 50-80 minutes depending on how long class went or how often we stood around (it usually averages between 650 cal and 900 cal)

I also listen to my body, I know if a class was really difficult and I burned a lot, or if it was a lot of technique and I didn't get my heart rate up as much. Based on that I will either eat light calorie foods (like soup or fruit/bread) or denser foods.

I have never eaten back all of the cals that mfp says I burned; I'm always at least 300 calories "under my goal" just because I am not that hungry, or I know I didn't work as hard as mfp says I did.
  • yulinerinwang
    yulinerinwang Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I got an HRM. I've been wearing it all day long for a couple of days. On my non-training day my burns from daily actirivies is around 1800 - 2200. On my training day (I normally do 3 hours) my burns range from 3200-3500. So it's about 1400 calories for 3 hours (normally 2 hours kickboxing and an hour BJJ). Not as much as MFP says.
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    In class, I never stop sweating. And my instructor does not let us stand still very long. When we are doing weapons is the only time we have rest.

My instructor said I could wear an HRM in class but not while "playing hands" or sparring.

I am thinking about it seriously so I know exactly what I am burning.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I wore my HRM to my Muay Thai class on the weekend.

Class is 2 hours - i tied the watch around my tank top/bra strap so it wouldn't interfere with the gloves/wraps.

My burn for a 2 hour class = 1054