Week 3 advice needed starting Jan 14th

Options
lawoods
lawoods Posts: 56 Member
Anyone else currently on week 3? I'm using the "ease into 5k" app and it has a 3 min and 90sec runs..... I was still having trouble with the 90 sec run in wk 2. Should I repeat week 2 till I feel more relaxed through it?

My problem is still finding a comfortable breathing pattern. Trying to breathe through my belly so my shoulders relax. The whole "you should be able to have a conversation while running" I can not even imagine.

All the times I have tried c25k this is the point that I give up/get defeated/derailed/let other things pull me away. Any advice?

Replies

• cln714
    cln714 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I will be starting on week 9 next week. But as I've attempted this many time before, I consider myelf to be somewhat of an expert. :tongue: In my other attemps I'm gotten stuck on certain weeks and the futhest I've made it before this time was week 6.

But this time I went at it with a whole new plan. I decided I would stick with my Mon, Wed, and Fri schedule because before I would switch around days and then sometimes not get to one within a certain week and feel like I needed to just repeat the whole week. Also, I said I would NOT repeat a week. I thought that if I am physically able to complete a run, even if I didn't feel great about it, I would move on. This time I actually had to not run for a week due to illness and I almost did repeat a week. But with advice from MFPals, I just moved on to the next week and did just fine. For me, the repeating of weeks would make me feel very discouraged because I wasn't making an progress.

You're doing great by paying close attention to your breathing. You really need to slow down to a pace that you can keep up for awhile. I think it was during week 4 that I really learned that. As for the conversation thing, I read that you want to need a breath after every 2 or 3 words, but if your taking a breath after every word you would need to slow down. For me, that last thing I want to do while running is have to talk to someone!

One more thing, I find that it's not really easy. I have some runs that are better than others but thoughout this process it hasn't been, what I would call, easy. But I have noticed it's made a difference in that I have more energy thoughout the day and my legs are getting more tone and my butt is getting much smaller (that's my favorite thing :laugh: ) So, it's definitly worth doing. I really hope you don't give up. Good luck to you. I would love to hear how you progress!
  • frogman4591
    Options
    I have just completed Week 2 and will be starting Week 3 on Monday. I did my Week 1 and 2 walks at 3.5 mph and my runs at 6.5. I hope to keep my running at the same speed but hope to increase my walking to 4 mph. We are all different, so find I would encourage you to just go with the speeds that you are comfortable with. I too do a Mon, Wed, Fri schedule, and and on my off days I do my regular treadmill workouts. I have always been able to runs a good pace for a short time. My problem is endurance, which I have been working on to increase. When I look at the final weeks, right now it looks impossible. But before I started, Week1 looked scarey to me.
  • lawoods
    Options
    I did make it through! I slowed my pace down to run the 3 min runs at 4.6 mph. Then upped my speed on the 90 sec runs to 5.1. (Week one and 2 I ran at 5-6 mph.) And I found it was easy to walk at 4 mph. ( I'm a shorty so that is a feat!)

I am currently doing Jillian's Ripped in 30 also. I have to do the c25k first or my energy is pretty low.

Thank you guys for your advice!
  • frogman4591
    Options
    Great Job!
  • lawoods
    Options
    Day 3 of wk3. Went better. Still slow but I figured something out for breathing.....I count. Not the time or anything. I just count to a comfortable number, say 50, then start over and over till the 3 min or 90 secs is over. It took my mind off trying to breath and just let me breath. funny. but good. :0)