Question on Expectations?

Options
Hi everyone, I'm new to the group, just a week into my Keto diet, and I have some questions about expectations. I am a 5'11" male, starting weight 277 lbs. I dropped 5 lbs in my first 3 days of keto, then I hit ketosis, gained 2, and have stayed there for the last 3 days. Now I'm not expecting any sort of miracle weight loss, but most of the people I know who have done this diet reported losing 8-10 lbs in the first week or two, certainly not gaining any weight.

I'm just wondering if my results are typical, if there are any pitfalls I might be falling into that I should know about. My ketostix register a heavy concentration of ketone in my urine, and I've been maintaining my normal swimming/weightlifting routine, is there anything I should watch for that might be derailing me? Did anyone else have a slow start?

Replies

• trkinsley
    trkinsley Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It took me a month to start to have some forward momentum. Not sure how much you have to lose, but certainly you'll see larger losses in general the first week if you're heavier or have been on a very carb-centric eating style before starting keto.

I'm only aiming for about 12 lbs total loss, I really don't have that much to lose, and my body just refuses to drop fat until I've been on track for a couple/few weeks. I only got about 2 lbs of water weight the first week; now I'm losing maybe 1/2 lb a week or so, which is fine with me. I'm down a total of five lbs in 4 wks or thereabouts.

Measure yourself with a tape measure too and track that. It will keep you sane if the scale is trolling you.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Well, I think 3 pounds in the first week is pretty darn good. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. Also, don't try to save up your carbs -- try to keep them equal or low in each meal. I also eat a large green veggie salad every day to help with fiber.
  • AnyaArson
    AnyaArson Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I lost about 20 lbs in the first two or three months when I first cut carbs to a minimum, but then I stabilized and have dropped ten lbs in the last three or four months. But I also started limiting my caloric intake and upped my exercise, so I don't know exactly which of the three did the most difference in the beginning.