Location - What's Near You? (a park, school track, etc.)

Options
Since most of us probably don't live near each other, we can't physically get together and do things as a group.

That being said, most of us here probably would love to do something more physically, to give ourselves a good workout and do something productive, that would be really good for us in general.

Think about your area.

What's near or around you?

Is there a local (inexpensive) gym that you could join, or a local club that you could participate in (inexpensively and without long term commitment)?

Maybe there's a local school with a TRACK and field or a community PARK, nearby, where you could run a few days a week.

Or you have a local YMCA that has outside basketball courts that aren't being utilized.

Thing is, there are so many resources around us that we probably don't even know about but it wouldn't take too much effort to find them. Word of mouth and neighbors are a wonderful source.

Guys, any suggestions on telling the rest of us what we have around and near us might give others a good idea, of what might be available to them.

katie

Replies

• Gshepmix83
    Gshepmix83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I live about 6 blocks from a park and a mile away from a gym. I don't go to the gym (don't have the money to join) but I do walk around my neighborhood on nice days. When its not nice out I workout to Leslie Sansone.
  • Gribbish
    Options
    I live in west outer hicksville.... population: 50,000.... if you count the cows. otherwise, it's 6,000 :P

To walk around my "Block" is a total distance of 5.2 miles (gotta love farmland)

Fortunately, I work in a moderately active job, so exercise isn't a huge problem for me.
  • vadiane1
    Options
    Wow, you got me thinking! I am 6 miles from gas, 12 miles from a grocery store (one way)...I live in a county rich in farmland...cows, tractors,rednecks....Where I get gas has a store.....Fri-Sun their beer is flowing outta there.
    I live in an neighborhood that has 2 streets. The nearest school with a track is 16 miles one way. SO I took it upon myself to make my own as far as workouts. Jillian...who I love and hate at the same time, is the current.
    Come April when it is time for Team In Training with the Leukemia peeps....I will drive 35 miles @ 5am on a Saturday to train for the rock and roll half in VA Beach. (that is to get there, so a 70 mile round trip is in store)
  • Goingnuts2
    Goingnuts2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I live in central New York (Syracuse, NY)

We have quite a few state parks and local parks that have great trails, we also have 2 local ski resorts nearby. There is a HUGE mall currently called The Carousel soon to be remained Destiny USA, plenty of free walking there!

In the summertime we have our lakes and beaches with trails. At the end of summer we have the State Fair (dangerous!! for all the food available, I game plan and eat before going).

I love the track I live on, 2 laps is 1 mile. There are always people around and I have a neighbor who will walk with me, I like powerwalks and trying to out beat each other.

Of course when I go shopping I'll park far away (unless it raining ;) to get my walk in, and I always have a pattern. I'll walk the whole perimeter of the store. I wouldn't be surprised it's a good mile by the time I'm done!

Gosh, I can't wait to start walking again:frown:
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, we live in a rural suburb. (I only say this because I love the countryside, more than city life but that's not where the jobs are.)

We have lots of stuff around us, in driving distance and in walking distance.

There's community tennis courts, parks with baseball fields and schools with smallish fields and plenty of neighborhoods to just take a walk.

Up the street, there's a local YMCA. I used to belong to it when it was just me, but a family membership was very expensive, so I opted out finally (wasn't going regularly anyway to warrant the cost - that was the biggest reason.)

We've got a couple ice rinks (did you guys read that article of the mom over 40 who lost over 100 lbs to become an ice skating competitor? Wow, what an inspiring story!!!), and soccer fields and one of those rock climbing places (Earth Treks?), that I've been to a few times (but that gets expensive).

I'm just throwing out idea's on what might be available for others...

You guys that live in rural, country areas are so lucky! I wish I could see more green fields and trees around. Where I live, it's development, development, development.

Kathy - shop walking is an excellent idea! Two birds with one stone, eh?

Sounds like Gribbish and VADiane would have to watch out for the cow paddies, lol, and Furychick, you probably live somewhere very much like my area.

Anyone else care to give up info about their surrounding area, let us know.

katie
  • Gshepmix83
    Gshepmix83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yeah I live out in the country where I'm surrounded by farm land and gas stations. Just move out here over the summer. I originally lived in a suburb of Chicago where I'm close to everything (shopping centers, public transportation, parks, etc....). Its a huge adjustment and you basically need a car to drive everywhere because out here everything is all spread out.
  • Shirlann46
    Shirlann46 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I live in Hicksville, too. A lot of Amish Farms and just Farms period. So the only way I get anywhere is by car. Close to me is about 15 or 20 miles away. YMCA-I go there every Weds. for a Senior Activity(physical) Group. Plus I go there every Mon and Fri to meet a freind for a workout in the Gym. Just joined a new Anytime Fitness Gym which is supposed to Open in Feb. Also, in the Spring/Summer I walk with my Hubby at a local State Park walking trail.
    We get a lot of Snow(live in a Snow Belt) so it all depends on the roads. Also have respirtory problems so weather is a factor on whether I get outside or not.
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I live out of town, but there are miles of empty road for me to run!! :)
  • katiebythebay
    Options
    Guys -

An obvious common sense thing - please stay aware of your surroundings.

SAFETY FIRST always.

Remember, if you can run with a partner or several people, it's best but if not, remember to tell somewhere what you're doing and what your running route is.

Also, even in densely populated areas or buildings, stuff can happen in the blink of an eye.

JUST BE AWARE at all times and stay safe.

katie
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have a really nice new track not far from my house. But the only problem is that its surrounded by woods and most of it is away from the main road. If I go, it is only with someone else. It sucks to have such a great place so close, but have it be so impractical. Even walking around the neighborhood isn't a very good idea-- this is not just an excuse, just the sad truth.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I belong to 2 different gyms, both of which are less then a 10 min drive from my house and in between home and work. Makes it very convenient for me to go as soon as I get off work, that way I don't get home and lazy.
    Also across the street from the sub division I live in is a huge park with a great walking trail. During nicer weather I'll get together with friends to walk there.
  • qwills2cats
    qwills2cats Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I live across from the high school complex which is 2 miles to run around and that is where I do my jogging mostly. But I am also within walking distance of the city trail system which we like to walk and bike. From a safety standpoint I don't jog on the trail because I often jog alone.
  • alishuman
    Options
    I live in a rural town... population just under 1,500. We don't have a streetlight, gas station, or store. In fact, high speed internet is the new thing around these parts. We have no parks or tracks or gyms. But, I live walking distance from the swimming hole in the river, and we have ATV/snowmobile trails galore through the woods, which makes for a beautiful walk (or jog).
  • katiebythebay
    Options
    I belong to 2 different gyms, both of which are less then a 10 min drive from my house and in between home and work. Makes it very convenient for me to go as soon as I get off work, that way I don't get home and lazy.
    Also across the street from the sub division I live in is a huge park with a great walking trail. During nicer weather I'll get together with friends to walk there.

Are the memberships costly or reasonable?

I tried both Fitness First and Bally but found no motivation, since everyone just kept to themselves. It would have been better to have a partner or group, for me.

katie
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I live in a great neighborhood. At my corner is the begining of a one mile "island" just a block with a school/park on it. I also belong to a gym but where the gym is I can walk an hour up & down that block for a total of 3 miles. Also very close to me is a park where I can hike, run or walk all I want! I do bring my dog on any hike or walk but that rain is coming! But there are countless parks around me and what I love best is that there are always people walking or running, day or night!
  • healermoon
    healermoon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My son and I walk the trail that loops behind our neighborhood. Unfortunately, we can only go up there in midday because it is against a canyon, and there are rattlesnakes, and coyotes, and cougars are not unknown up there either. Thankfully my son and I have always been safe and lucky not to run into any of these creatures. We only go up together (He isn't allowed to go up on his own) and we always have cell phones if needed. This walk is 3 1/2 miles, and burns a ton of calories because it has many ups and downs and half of it is a 10% grade. Beyond that....since I lost my car (due to job loss) I have been walking to the grocery store a mile down the road, it has a little strip mall so can generally do most of my shopping there but I only buy what I can carry home. Additionally there is a middle school about a mile and half down the road (on the other side of the 10% grade). Needless to say my son is very thin. I do occasionally walk him to and from school, but as he is in 7th grade he is too cool for that to be a regular thing. There is also a park and elementary school near by. My favorite thing though....are the two pools in my condo community. Though they are only heated from May to September, I go swimming every day when they are heated. Now I just go over and sit in the jacuzzi once in a while.
  • mrFerris
    mrFerris Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You know what, I live in Bristol. That's Bristol UK , and I don't have drive too far to get to some countryside where I can walk to my hearts content. I can take a two-mile walk round the block and only have to deal with roads for half that. We have gyms local but there are expensive ... Around £30 month ($20 - 25) I think. Doesn't sound much but I am a stay at home dad not earning anything at all at the moment.

The thing is, we all have something that we can use but many of us don't realise it. I didn't really think about how much I have until Katie ask the question. Funny how it takes someone thousands of miles away to make you realise what you have got right under your nose.