HOW MUCH WATER TO DO DRINK PEOPLE??

Options
I have sooo may clients who find it hard to drink water.

They find it boring, or say they are busy and can't afford to go to the toilet, OR they forget to drink it.

Relate to any of these?

Water is a CRUCIAL if you are wanting to lose weight!!

About 60% of the population is de-hydrated and this can be a major cause of illness -AND WEIGHT GAIN!
Some people only need to be put on a drip in hospital to re-hydrate them and they are free to leave and told there is nothing wrong with them apart from severe de-hydration!!

Water is important people!! - here's a few reasons why!

*When your fat breaks down in your body, there is a by-product that is released and its a good idea to wash this
out your system!!

*Water also cleanses our insides from all that food and yuky stuff it doesn't need. (pizza? ice cream? or just tooo much food?)

*Water helps your bowel movements to function which is essential when wanting to lose weight.
(you should be going about 1-3 times per day) - (number 2's) - sorry to mention this! ; )

*Water will help your organs to function more effectively.

*Your brain is made up of roughly 90% water, so if you want to be rational and reason with yourself, be alert and be able to concentrate, -drink up.

*Water lubricates your muscles and joints... vital if you are exercising.

*Having drunk enough also means you know whether you are reaaaallly hungry, or whether its thirst.

*Water is the best natural medicine.. and its FREE!!!

TRY AND DRINK ABOUT 8 GLASSES/4 PINTS/2 LITRES PER DAY!! - (NO MORE THAN 3litres OR ITS NOT GOOD FOR YOU)
I have had clients who didn't lose much weight at all.... untill they started drinking more water!! So ask yourself,
ARE YOU DRINKING ENOUGH???

Find water boring?
You can get your water intake through other things -

Herbal teas
De-caf tea and coffee
sugar free squash
sparkling water (with sugar free squash if you like)

Remember caffeinated drinks do de-hydrate you slightly, so try and switch to de-caff OR
limit yourself to 3 per day. (especially if you suffer from anxiety, stress or depression, as it can make it worse. which in turn makes you...... EAT!)

Your body retains the fluid better if you sip water throughout the day, which means you wont be running to the loo
every 5 minutes, so avoid downing a pint or 2 at the end of the day!!

Your taste buds WILL change so keep at it, and you will have a hydrated healthy body for life!!!

much love, hope this helps,

Rebecca
xx

Replies

• mforcemaniac
    mforcemaniac Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with this. I've been drinking a lot more water (I'm more towards the 12 cup/3 liter end, I should probably watch it a bit) and find that I'm more alert and am much less sluggish. People at work have noticed this too. I'm not sure if it is just the water or a bit of the calorie counting as well, but I definitely see a difference.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I drink tons of water, I was one of those people that never touched plain water and now I love it. I drink well over 3 Liters most days though, can you tell me why this isn't good for me? I've researched water consumption several times and have found many reports that say you should drink 1/2 of your body weight in ounces plus an additional 8oz for every 20 mins of strenuous exercise. For me that's between 94-118oz depending on my activity level.
  • Goingnuts2
    Goingnuts2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hi Rebecca,

What a great post! I'm pretty good about drinking my water, but not so good on logging it in my diary. I'll make that my goal today.

Thanks for the reminder!

Kathy
  • JessyeS
    JessyeS Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    10 or more glasses of water. I LOVE water. It's pretty much all I drink besides the occasional tea
  • RunningSwede
    RunningSwede Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    9+ glasses a day. A hydrated body is a fat burning body. I use a Brita filter, and drink it ice cold. I think it tastes better cold, and my body burns calories bringing it up to body temperature.
  • alishuman
    Options
    I love water: I drink 10-12 glasses per day. In the morning I fill a pitcher, squeeze the juice from half a lemon into, and stick it into the fridge. I drink from that most of the day, or make some herbal tea. I do enjoy my coffee in the morning, though.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i do nothing but drink water, between 16-20 cups every day. i love it.
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    gallon a day like clockwork
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I usually am able to drink about 8-10 cups per day depending on when I wake up. Sometimes I've had 14 but it makes me have to leak a looooot. So I keep it around 8 or 10 and I make sure to pace it out so that I don't guzzle it down all at once and then frequently have to go.
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    10 or more glasses of water. I LOVE water. It's pretty much all I drink besides the occasional tea

Whoa - how do you do that? That's awesome (but a difficult task for me.)

I'll try drinking more this week, but sometimes I choke on one glass, unless it's got some kind of "flavoring" in it.

katie
  • katiebythebay
    Options
    I have sooo may clients who find it hard to drink water.

They find it boring, or say they are busy and can't afford to go to the toilet, OR they forget to drink it.

Relate to any of these?

Water is a CRUCIAL if you are wanting to lose weight!!

About 60% of the population is de-hydrated and this can be a major cause of illness -AND WEIGHT GAIN!
    Some people only need to be put on a drip in hospital to re-hydrate them and they are free to leave and told there is nothing wrong with them apart from severe de-hydration!!

Water is important people!! - here's a few reasons why!

*When your fat breaks down in your body, there is a by-product that is released and its a good idea to wash this
    out your system!!

*Water also cleanses our insides from all that food and yuky stuff it doesn't need. (pizza? ice cream? or just tooo much food?)

*Water helps your bowel movements to function which is essential when wanting to lose weight.
    (you should be going about 1-3 times per day) - (number 2's) - sorry to mention this! ; )

*Water will help your organs to function more effectively.

*Your brain is made up of roughly 90% water, so if you want to be rational and reason with yourself, be alert and be able to concentrate, -drink up.

*Water lubricates your muscles and joints... vital if you are exercising.

*Having drunk enough also means you know whether you are reaaaallly hungry, or whether its thirst.

*Water is the best natural medicine.. and its FREE!!!

TRY AND DRINK ABOUT 8 GLASSES/4 PINTS/2 LITRES PER DAY!! - (NO MORE THAN 3litres OR ITS NOT GOOD FOR YOU)
    I have had clients who didn't lose much weight at all.... untill they started drinking more water!! So ask yourself,
    ARE YOU DRINKING ENOUGH???

Find water boring?
    You can get your water intake through other things -

Herbal teas
    De-caf tea and coffee
    sugar free squash
    sparkling water (with sugar free squash if you like)

Remember caffeinated drinks do de-hydrate you slightly, so try and switch to de-caff OR
    limit yourself to 3 per day. (especially if you suffer from anxiety, stress or depression, as it can make it worse. which in turn makes you...... EAT!)

Your body retains the fluid better if you sip water throughout the day, which means you wont be running to the loo
    every 5 minutes, so avoid downing a pint or 2 at the end of the day!!

Your taste buds WILL change so keep at it, and you will have a hydrated healthy body for life!!!

much love, hope this helps,

Rebecca
    xx

Awesome Rebecca and thank you. Excellent argument for non-water people - which I "WAS" one of them. (Will be re-thinking it now.)

~katie
  • mrFerris
    mrFerris Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Although you need to be careful not to drink too much water. This flushes salts out of your body. Your nervous system needs sodium to function. If you flush it out with too much water you may cause yourself a problem.

My young son used to drink loads and loads and ended up in hospital for three days with a low salt level which caused a major seizure. As a result, four years later, he still can't speak properly.
  • Bekzness
    Bekzness Posts: 122
    Options
    I drink around 8-10 glasses a day but this is a struggle. I also tend to drink a whole glass down pretty quickly rather than continuously sipping throughout the day, which is probably why I find myself currently waking up at 1am and 3am needing to pee :P

I do count my sugar free cordial in my water intake but don't include the 3-6 cups of decaff tea and coffee I drink each day... should I?

I don't want to find I'm now drinking too much after all.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Water Intoxication is actually a rare condition. Yes it is a real condition and very serious, but not all that common. It is most often found when someone is participating in an endurance sport where they are sweating profusely and only replenishing with plain water. It can also happen if you chug/guzzle a large (not a glass or 2) amount of water in a very short time. If you spread your water intake out over the course of the day drinking large amounts of water is not harmful. This of course is assuming that you haven't gotten crazy with reducing your sodium intake. Water Intoxication happens when the sodium levels in your body become to diluted and unbalanced, just as your body needs water to function properly it also needs salt.
    64oz a day is actually a guideline, there are people that should drink more then this and those that don't need to drink quite that much. A good rule to follow for intake is take your weight and divide it in half, that is the amount of water in ounces you should drink daily. I usually drink that plus some, since I drink if I'm thirsty and choose water because I do not want to drink my calories.

If you are concerned that you have drank too much water and may be developing Water Intoxication early treatment is necessary. The early warning signs are: confusion, muscle cramps, slurred speech, disorientation, nausea, and also changes in mental state and psychotic symptoms.
  • katiebythebay
    Options
    Although you need to be careful not to drink too much water. This flushes salts out of your body. Your nervous system needs sodium to function. If you flush it out with too much water you may cause yourself a problem.

My young son used to drink loads and loads and ended up in hospital for three days with a low salt level which caused a major seizure. As a result, four years later, he still can't speak properly.

I'm sorry Mr. Ferris that that happened. Is he doing okay otherwise?

katie
  • Bekzness
    Bekzness Posts: 122
    Options
    The early warning signs are: confusion, muscle cramps, slurred speech, disorientation, nausea, and also changes in mental state and psychotic symptoms.

This sounds like me round about once a month ;)

On a serious note thanks for all the advice in this thread. I just know from being a person who used to drink 4 coffee's a day to now drinking 8-10 x 8oz glasses of water/low cal squash a day on top of a few cups of decaff tea, I feel much more alert through the day and within a week of making the changes (back in November) I lost about 5lbs. I'm certain this was possibly due to a much needed flushing of my digestive system as I became super regular rather than (T.M.I INCOMMING) not going to the loo for up to 5 days.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I have this 52oz 'Bubba' keg I bought at Wal-mart... You can either keep hot fluids hot, or cold fluids cold.. and working in a hot kitchen for a living and then in an office setting, I must fill that sucker 2 or 3 times per day... My Endo knows about it and has no problem. I eat very well balanced meals, stay active... So long as my doctor is fine with it, Im gonna have my 156oz when I need it most...but 'Bubba" is a lifesaver for me! LOL!
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Hi, new to the group. Thought I'd just jump right in and start posting.

I drink two water bottles a day, each roughly 50 oz. One days I workout or run, I'll probably add a few smaller 16 oz bottles.

This is the plan, it doesn't always happen but I get bottle #1 down and then most of #2. I want to get back to a place where I'm drinking both and getting my 100 oz 100%.
  • katiebythebay
    Options
    I don't know about you guys, but since this post, I've been "trying" to drink more water every afternoon.

I've never been successful in doing this (not my first try), but I've found it easier when I just pop a bottle of DP on my desk and remove all the other drinks (coffee) - that way, I don't have a choice (haha, fooled myself.)

They're just the regular sized bottles of 16.7/16.9 oz but it's more than I was drinking before this week, lol.

katie
  • mrFerris
    mrFerris Posts: 122 Member
    Options

I'm sorry Mr. Ferris that that happened. Is he doing okay otherwise?

katie

Yeah good apart from speech. Thanks for asking.