getting enough calories

Options
islandjumper
islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
I was just wondering if anyone else had an issue with getting enough calories. I'm recording everything i eat yet I have a hard time eating even 1200 calories some days. I'm not hungry and on days like today when I burn 500+ calories I have the hardest time eating them back. Ideas? Suggestions?

Replies

• amonkey9
    Options
    I know what you mean :/ try things like avocado, peanut butter, walnuts, potatoes and other higher cal stuff
  • Aaloo79
    Aaloo79 Posts: 105
    Options
    I know what you mean :/ try things like avocado, peanut butter, walnuts, potatoes and other higher cal stuff

Spot on.
    See being vegetarian does not mean that we have to survive only on salads and veggies. (see the cattle has to graze whole day on grass :)) NOM.

Throw in some fruits, lentils (high in proteins too), chickpeas, red kidney beans, healthy nuts, whole meal breads etc etc...
    It was heartening to know that someone is struggling to find calories, I'm struggling to eradicate them.
  • evilsplan
    Options
    I have same problem since i just turn to vegetarian couples week ago any advice? i not sure if i did thing right or not.. and different idea of meals is huge helpful :D
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yea, the thing with being a vegetarian is that you are eating a lot of fiber too. Thus making you feel full all the time. I usually eat a lot of eggs/veggie omelet in the morning (400-500 calories). Greek yogurt (not the nonfat kind) has a lot of calories too. A cup is around 300 calories.

Also, try to avoid "nonfat" types of foods such as yogurt, milk, cheese, etc. Plus they are actually good for you.

My indulgence: Dark chocolate almond butter.
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have same problem since i just turn to vegetarian couples week ago any advice? i not sure if i did thing right or not.. and different idea of meals is huge helpful :D

You'll know soon how good a choice this was for you. Your body is going to thank you for it. When I made the change, I kept feeling like something was missing from my meals because I was used to having some kind of fish, meat, etc. take up space and didn't know what else to eat either. So I read and talked to others and learned to fill that space with other delicious, nutritious things to eat like lentils and other beans, nuts and nut butters of all kinds, tofu and other soy products (you can try soy burgers, soy hot dogs, soy 'ribs', soy bacon, soy cheese, etc.), sprouts, definitely avocados, olives, and more. I recommend that you troll online for vegetarian recipes and get yourself a good vegetarian cookbook or two because there's a wealth of info available to help you develop your vegetarian lifestyle. One last thing: I don't stick to just eating three meals a day since vegetarian food does tend to pass through you more quickly. So give yourself permission to eat at least five times a day.

Welcome to the vegetarian world and best wishes! :happy:
  • Tall_E
    Options
    Yea, the thing with being a vegetarian is that you are eating a lot of fiber too. Thus making you feel full all the time. I usually eat a lot of eggs/veggie omelet in the morning (400-500 calories). Greek yogurt (not the nonfat kind) has a lot of calories too. A cup is around 300 calories.

Also, try to avoid "nonfat" types of foods such as yogurt, milk, cheese, etc. Plus they are actually good for you.

My indulgence: Dark chocolate almond butter.

Dark chocolate almond butter? Ok. You got my attention! Who makes this?
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Maranatha is the brand. I can usually find it at Walmart (that surprised me...lol)
  • Tall_E
    Options
    Thanks! I'm going to look for it. WalMart is often a surprise, in more ways than one.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    If I wasn't getting enough calories, I wouldn't be on MFP. I'd be skinny!